Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bikini Rule Is History
After Players' Controversy
Nov 1, 2021 8:03 AM CDT
Bikini Rule Is History After Players' Controversy
Governing body of beach handball says women have other options now
Professional female handball players are no longer required to wear skimpy bikinis. The International Handball Federation has updated its regulations, and they now allow women to wear bike shorts and tank tops if they wish, reports the
. The move comes after a high-profile protest by Norway's beach...
Pink: I'll Pay Fines
for Women's Team
Jul 26, 2021 11:20 AM CDT
Pink: I'll Pay Fines for Women's Team Over Shorts
She praises Norway's beach handball squad for taking a stand over rule requiring bikini bottoms
- Norway's 10-member female beach handball team recently incurred a fine for its choice of attire during a match, and the country's handball federation offered to pay it—though the latter group now has to wrestle with another big name that wants to pick up the tab. Singer Pink...
Senior Barred From His Own
Graduation Gets a Big Save
in case you missed it
Jun 6, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Senior Barred From His Own Graduation Gets a Big Save
Teacher gave his shoes to a graduate whose own shoes weren't allowed
- A high school senior turned away from his own graduation says a "hero" of a teacher ensured he walked across the stage to receive his diploma—by giving up the shoes on his feet. Daverius Peters of Hahnville High School in Boutte, La., had put on black leather designer...
Parents, Students Miffed
at Yearbook Photo Edits:
in case you missed it
May 29, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Parents, Students Miffed at Yearbook Photo Edits: 'Horrible Message'
Fla.'s Bartram Trail High School digitally altered 80 girls' pictures to cover up their chests, shoulders
- It's the end of the school year, which means it's also yearbook time. At one Florida high school, however, this annual tradition was marred by an odd find when the $100 yearbooks were distributed. News4Jax and the
St. Augustine Record
report that 80 portraits of female students were...
Male Suspended for Nail Polish
Gets 'What I Wanted All Along'
Apr 23, 2021 12:02 PM CDT
Male Suspended for Nail Polish Gets 'What I Wanted All Along'
Texas high school adopts gender-neutral dress code, to Trevor Wilkinson's glee
- Texas high school senior Trevor Wilkinson made headlines in December after he was suspended for wearing nail polish. Now the gay teen is making headlines again, this time for a personal win. Wilkinson, who served an in-school suspension after he was caught wearing nail polish at Clyde High School, has...
To Make Point
on Masks, Iowa
Jeans to Work
Feb 4, 2021 10:30 AM CST
To Make Point on Masks, Iowa Lawmaker Wears Jeans to Work
Jeans are harmless, but 'not wearing a mask can kill people,' says Rep. Beth Wessel-Kroeschell
- "If they can enforce a denim dress code, they can also enforce a mask mandate." That's the message from Iowa Rep. Beth Wessel-Kroeschell, who chose this week to break a rule banning jeans from the state's House. Republicans, who control both the state House and Senate,...
Colorful Dress to
Work, Scoffs at Flak
Aug 7, 2020 9:52 AM CDT
Lawmaker Wears Colorful Dress to Work, Scoffs at Flak
South Korea's youngest lawmaker, Ryu Ho-jeong, says she wanted to 'shatter tradition' of dark suits
- The "pink dress effect" has consumed South Korean politics after the country's youngest member of the National Assembly wore a colorful wrap dress this week to a parliamentary session, and she's got both supporters and detractors. The
South China Morning Post
—which deems the short dress...
Starbucks Changes Worker
Policy After an Uproar
Jun 12, 2020 12:11 PM CDT
Starbucks Changes Worker Policy After an Uproar
It will not only allow Black Lives Matter clothing, it's making a shirt of its own
- Starbucks is changing course after uproar over a policy blocking baristas from sporting items in support of Black Lives Matter. After claiming the items might be misconstrued by people looking to "amplify divisiveness," the company said Friday that it would not only permit employees to wear attire and...
Jun 12, 2020 6:18 AM CDT
Workers Slam Starbucks' 'Hypocritical' Ban
Company won't let employees wear 'Black Lives Matter' clothing, accessories
- Last week, Starbucks made its pinned tweet one with a timely message: "Black lives matter. We are committed to being a part of change." This week, per the Hill , some are calling the company's stance a disingenuous one in light of its recent enforcement of a dress...
Just the Girls?
Mar 6, 2020 11:32 AM CST
Backlash on Principal's Prom Mandate: Why Just the Girls?
Principal says female attendees need to get their outfits approved ahead of time
- A mandate sent out by a high school principal in Louisiana about the upcoming prom and the attire that female attendees are allowed to wear is getting mixed reaction. NBC News reports that Kim Pendleton, who only recently took on the principal job at Shreveport's Southwood High School, sent...
Teen Steps Up
to Help Sick Sister,
Gets in Trouble
Feb 10, 2020 7:57 AM CST
Teen Steps Up to Help Sick Sister, Gets in Trouble at School
Newt Johnson told he's violating district's dress code
- Maggie Johnson, 11, was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease in October, requiring her to undergo chemo and dialysis that started making her curly red hair fall out, per WOAI . Her big brother, 16-year-old Newt, decided to do something special for her—and now his family says he's been...
Teen Told to
Scores One Win
Jan 30, 2020 7:44 AM CST
Teen Told to Cut Dreadlocks Scores One Win
DeAndre Arnold now has $20K for college, thanks to Ellen
- Ellen DeGeneres is "begging" a Texas high school to reconsider its decision to bar a student from graduation over the length of his dreadlocks . "This kid is a good kid. He deserves to graduate, to walk with all the other kids … Please. Change your mind," she...
Suit: School Didn't
Like Teen's Haircut.
Out Came a Sharpie
Aug 21, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
Suit: School Didn't Like Teen's Haircut. Out Came a Sharpie
School staffers said Texas teen's fade haircut violated dress code
- A lawsuit against a school district and three white staffers at Texas' Berry Miller Junior High School alleges a dress-code violation ended with a 13-year-old boy being publicly humiliated and subjected to racial discrimination. Per NBC News , Dante Trice and Angela Washington's complaint—which names the Pearland Independent School...
Japan's Health Chief on
High Heels at Work:
Jun 6, 2019 8:20 AM CDT
Japan's Health Chief on High Heels at Work: 'Necessary'
He's pushing back on artist Yumi Ishikawa's petition against workplace dress requirements
- Women across Japan may find workplace dress codes that require high heels to be onerous, but according to the country's chief health official, such mandates are just fine. Reuters reports that Health Minister Takumi Nemoto responded Wednesday to an online campaign started by artist Yumi Ishikawa that pushes back...
They Made Her Wear Heels to
Work. So She Started #KuToo
Jun 4, 2019 8:20 AM CDT
They Made Her Wear Heels to Work. So She Started #KuToo
Artist Yumi Ishikawa is leading campaign to ban high heels requirements in the workplace
- Workplace dress codes can be annoying, but in Japan, there's a crusade to get rid of one mandate in particular, and it comes with its own hashtag: #KuToo. CNN notes the campaign and hashtag—a play on two words meaning "shoes" and "pain," and meant to...
Reporter Gets Creative
With Trump Event's Dress Code
May 29, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
Reporter Gets Creative With Trump Event's Dress Code
Annie Karni wore her wedding dress
New York Times
reporter Annie Karni was getting ready to head to Japan to cover President Trump's visit there when she found out about the dress code for one of the events she'd be attending—and she had to scramble to pack just the right thing, per Sky...
School's Dress Code
for Parents Called 'Belittling'
Apr 24, 2019 7:44 AM CDT
School's Dress Code for Parents Called 'Belittling'
It bans satin caps, shower caps, hair rollers, Daisy Dukes, pajamas
- It's not the students who are irritated about a new dress code at a Houston high school. These students wear uniforms , and the new rules apply to their parents. According to James Madison High School, parents and other guests will not be permitted in "sagging pants," Daisy...
Mom Blasts 'Blackly
Naked' Butts of
Notre Dame Students
Mar 28, 2019 10:55 AM CDT
Mom Blasts 'Blackly Naked' Butts of Notre Dame Students
Mother's letter to student paper calls out 'legging problem' on campus
- A woman who IDed herself as a "Catholic mother of four sons" called out "a problem that only girls can solve" in a letter Monday to the University of Notre Dame's student newspaper—but her note is having the opposite effect of what she wanted. In her...
After Outcry, School
Ditches Plan for
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 6, 2018 4:00 PM CDT
After Outcry, School Ditches Plan for 'Modesty Ponchos'
Ponchos were to be forced on girls who wore 'inappropriate' dresses to prom
- After the plan sparked controversy, Divine Child High School says it will no longer force "modesty ponchos" on girls who attend prom on May 12 in a dress that doesn't meet the Catholic school's dress code, the AP reports. The plan made headlines after the ponchos were...
School's Alleged Threat:
Dye Hair or Get Out
Oct 27, 2017 11:23 AM CDT
School's Alleged Threat: Dye Hair or Get Out
Japanese student suing over physical, mental anguish
- A high school student has filed a lawsuit calling attention to strict dress codes in Japan—but her complaint doesn't actually involve clothes. The 18-year-old says administrators at Kaifukan High School in Osaka threatened to expel her in 2015 if she didn't dye her hair black, then kicked...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
A Decade-Long Uber Strategy Comes to an End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.