Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Manchin Wants His
Senate Dress Code Back
Sep 22, 2023 6:05 AM CDT
Manchin Wants His Senate Dress Code Back
He plans to introduce resolution to reverse change
- Sen. Joe Manchin is working on a proposal that has bipartisan support, though at least one of his Democratic colleagues might object. A Manchin spokesperson confirmed to
that the senator plans to introduce a resolution to restore the Senate dress code, which was scrapped on Monday . Senate Majority Leader...
Takes On Senate
With Boebert Jab
Sep 20, 2023 6:51 AM CDT
Fetterman Takes On Senate Dress-Code Fury With Boebert Jab
Republicans are pushing back at relaxing what senators wear on Capitol Hill
- While some are celebrating the Senate's decision to no longer enforce its unwritten dress code —previously, shirts and ties for the guys, covered arms for the ladies—Republicans aren't as thrilled. "Terrible," Sen. Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia commented on the change, per NBC...
At Texas School, a Fight
Over Boy's Dreadlocks
Sep 18, 2023 1:44 PM CDT
At Texas School, a Fight Over Boy's Dreadlocks
Darryl George, 17, suspended for violating dress code same week a law protecting hair was enacted
- The same week his state outlawed racial discrimination based on hairstyles, the AP reports that a Black high school student in Texas was suspended because school officials said his locks violated the district's dress code. Darryl George, a junior at Barbers Hill High School in Mont Belvieu, received an...
Senate Dress Code Scrapped
Sep 18, 2023 2:53 AM CDT
Senate Dress Code Scrapped
Although it's not clear it was ever actually a formal rule
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has done away with the chamber's informal dress code, in changes that take effect Monday. Axios first reported the news after Schumer directed the Senate's Sergeant at Arms to no longer enforce the dress code, and Schumer confirmed the news, telling the site,...
In France, a New Clothing
Ban Irks Muslims
Aug 28, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
In France, a New Clothing Ban Irks Muslims
Hijabs, face veils were already barred in schools in the name of secularism; now, the abaya robe is, too
- First France banned headscarves in its public schools, then full face veils. Now, the abaya, a long, baggy robe worn by practicing Muslim girls and women in the name of modesty, joins the list of banned attire in the nation's classrooms. Reuters reports that new Education Minister Gabriel Attal...
SCOTUS Decision a Win
for 'Freedom to Wear Pants'
Jun 26, 2023 1:31 PM CDT
SCOTUS Decision a Win for 'Freedom to Wear Pants'
Court leaves in place a ruling against charter school's skirts-only dress code for girls
- The Supreme Court has declined to hear a case involving a North Carolina charter school's dress code, leaving in a place a lower court's ruling that girls at Charter Day School can choose to wear pants instead of skirts. Parents of Charter Day students challenged the skirts-only dress...
Female Lawmakers in Missouri
Told: Keep Those Arms Covered
Jan 14, 2023 10:45 AM CST
Female Lawmakers in Missouri Told: Keep Those Arms Covered
Fiery debate ensues before update to dress code in Missouri House of Representatives
- Women make up fewer than one-third of the seats in Missouri's House, per the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
, but they were the ones speaking the loudest this week after the chamber's dress code was tweaked to mandate how female lawmakers should cover their arms while at work. The Hill...
Girl Gets 'Uniform
Infraction' at School
Aug 22, 2022 8:31 AM CDT
Girl Gets 'Uniform Infraction' at School —Over 'Jihab'
Teacher who wrote up 8th-grader misspelled 'hijab' on dress code violation form
- A Massachusetts school is taking heat after a teacher wrote up an eighth-grader there for wearing a hijab in class. NBC Boston reports on the incident at Mystic Valley Regional Charter School, where the girl was dinged for a "uniform infraction" for donning the religious head covering worn by...
After Losing to
Djokovic, a 'Final
Act of Defiance'
Jul 11, 2022 7:36 AM CDT
After Losing to Djokovic, a 'Final Act of Defiance' From Kyrgios
Aussie wears red cap to trophy ceremony, breaching strict all-white dress code
- Nick Kyrgios gave the crowd quite a show during the men's singles final Sunday at Wimbledon. The show wasn't over, however, after the 27-year-old Aussie lost to Serbia's Novak Djokovic, as he took part in a "final act of defiance." Kyrgios received a second-place trophy,...
Bikini Rule Is History
After Players' Controversy
Nov 1, 2021 8:03 AM CDT
Bikini Rule Is History After Players' Controversy
Governing body of beach handball says women have other options now
Professional female handball players are no longer required to wear skimpy bikinis. The International Handball Federation has updated its regulations, and they now allow women to wear bike shorts and tank tops if they wish, reports the
. The move comes after a high-profile protest by Norway's beach...
Pink: I'll Pay Fines
for Women's Team
Jul 26, 2021 11:20 AM CDT
Pink: I'll Pay Fines for Women's Team Over Shorts
She praises Norway's beach handball squad for taking a stand over rule requiring bikini bottoms
- Norway's 10-member female beach handball team recently incurred a fine for its choice of attire during a match, and the country's handball federation offered to pay it—though the latter group now has to wrestle with another big name that wants to pick up the tab. Singer Pink...
Senior Barred From His Own
Graduation Gets a Big Save
in case you missed it
Jun 6, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Senior Barred From His Own Graduation Gets a Big Save
Teacher gave his shoes to a graduate whose own shoes weren't allowed
- A high school senior turned away from his own graduation says a "hero" of a teacher ensured he walked across the stage to receive his diploma—by giving up the shoes on his feet. Daverius Peters of Hahnville High School in Boutte, La., had put on black leather designer...
Parents, Students Miffed
at Yearbook Photo Edits:
in case you missed it
May 29, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Parents, Students Miffed at Yearbook Photo Edits: 'Horrible Message'
Fla.'s Bartram Trail High School digitally altered 80 girls' pictures to cover up their chests, shoulders
- It's the end of the school year, which means it's also yearbook time. At one Florida high school, however, this annual tradition was marred by an odd find when the $100 yearbooks were distributed. News4Jax and the
St. Augustine Record
report that 80 portraits of female students were...
Male Suspended for Nail Polish
Gets 'What I Wanted All Along'
Apr 23, 2021 12:02 PM CDT
Male Suspended for Nail Polish Gets 'What I Wanted All Along'
Texas high school adopts gender-neutral dress code, to Trevor Wilkinson's glee
- Texas high school senior Trevor Wilkinson made headlines in December after he was suspended for wearing nail polish. Now the gay teen is making headlines again, this time for a personal win. Wilkinson, who served an in-school suspension after he was caught wearing nail polish at Clyde High School, has...
To Make Point
on Masks, Iowa
Jeans to Work
Feb 4, 2021 10:30 AM CST
To Make Point on Masks, Iowa Lawmaker Wears Jeans to Work
Jeans are harmless, but 'not wearing a mask can kill people,' says Rep. Beth Wessel-Kroeschell
- "If they can enforce a denim dress code, they can also enforce a mask mandate." That's the message from Iowa Rep. Beth Wessel-Kroeschell, who chose this week to break a rule banning jeans from the state's House. Republicans, who control both the state House and Senate,...
Colorful Dress to
Work, Scoffs at Flak
Aug 7, 2020 9:52 AM CDT
Lawmaker Wears Colorful Dress to Work, Scoffs at Flak
South Korea's youngest lawmaker, Ryu Ho-jeong, says she wanted to 'shatter tradition' of dark suits
- The "pink dress effect" has consumed South Korean politics after the country's youngest member of the National Assembly wore a colorful wrap dress this week to a parliamentary session, and she's got both supporters and detractors. The
South China Morning Post
—which deems the short dress...
Starbucks Changes Worker
Policy After an Uproar
Jun 12, 2020 12:11 PM CDT
Starbucks Changes Worker Policy After an Uproar
It will not only allow Black Lives Matter clothing, it's making a shirt of its own
- Starbucks is changing course after uproar over a policy blocking baristas from sporting items in support of Black Lives Matter. After claiming the items might be misconstrued by people looking to "amplify divisiveness," the company said Friday that it would not only permit employees to wear attire and...
Jun 12, 2020 6:18 AM CDT
Workers Slam Starbucks' 'Hypocritical' Ban
Company won't let employees wear 'Black Lives Matter' clothing, accessories
- Last week, Starbucks made its pinned tweet one with a timely message: "Black lives matter. We are committed to being a part of change." This week, per the Hill , some are calling the company's stance a disingenuous one in light of its recent enforcement of a dress...
Just the Girls?
Mar 6, 2020 11:32 AM CST
Backlash on Principal's Prom Mandate: Why Just the Girls?
Principal says female attendees need to get their outfits approved ahead of time
- A mandate sent out by a high school principal in Louisiana about the upcoming prom and the attire that female attendees are allowed to wear is getting mixed reaction. NBC News reports that Kim Pendleton, who only recently took on the principal job at Shreveport's Southwood High School, sent...
Teen Steps Up
to Help Sick Sister,
Gets in Trouble
Feb 10, 2020 7:57 AM CST
Teen Steps Up to Help Sick Sister, Gets in Trouble at School
Newt Johnson told he's violating district's dress code
- Maggie Johnson, 11, was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease in October, requiring her to undergo chemo and dialysis that started making her curly red hair fall out, per WOAI . Her big brother, 16-year-old Newt, decided to do something special for her—and now his family says he's been...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
Fate of Thousands of Convicts May Lie in This One Word
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.