Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Brett Kavanaugh Just
Passed a Big Hurdle
Oct 5, 2018 9:53 AM CDT
Brett Kavanaugh Just Passed a Big Hurdle
He gets enough votes in crucial Senate procedural test
- Brett Kavanaugh just passed a crucial hurdle in the Senate, though his ascension to the Supreme Court is still not assured. Kavanaugh's nomination passed a procedural vote that allows it to move forward, reports Reuters . The count was 51-49. The final vote on whether to confirm Kavanaugh is expected...
Brett Kavanaugh's Chances
Just Got a Lot Better
Oct 4, 2018 12:12 PM CDT
Brett Kavanaugh's Chances Just Got a Lot Better
Undecided Republicans Jeff Flake and Susan Collins sound satisfied with FBI report
- The early reaction of two pivotal GOP senators to the FBI's new Brett Kavanaugh investigation sounds like good news for the Supreme Court nominee. “We’ve seen no additional corroborating information," said Jeff Flake after being briefed on the 46-page report. And Susan Collins said "it...
3 Key Senators Have Problem
With Trump's Ford Imitation
Oct 3, 2018 12:48 PM CDT
3 Key Senators Have Problem With Trump's Ford Imitation
Sens. Flake, Murkowski, and Collins respond
- Three senators on Wednesday publicly criticized President Trump's imitation of Christine Blasey Ford on Tuesday night, and they're senators who matter. GOP Sens. Jeff Flake, Susan Collins, and Lisa Murkowski, all "critical Republican swing votes," as CNN puts it, shared their reaction to Trump's account...
Just Got Much Brighter
Sep 28, 2018 9:13 AM CDT
Kavanaugh's Prospects Just Got Much Brighter
GOP's Jeff Flake will back him, making approval likely in Senate committee Friday afternoon
- After Thursday's high drama , the Senate Judiciary Committee looks poised to advance Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination to the full Senate. The vote is scheduled for 1:30pm Eastern, reports NPR . Going into the day, the main suspense had been whether Republican Jeff Flake of Arizona would side...
Collins on Effort
to Sway Vote
Sep 13, 2018 12:10 PM CDT
Collins on Effort to Sway Vote on Kavanaugh: It's Bribery
Watchdog group wants DOJ to investigate groups crowdfunding to pressure Maine senator
- More than $1.2 million has been raised to help convince Sen. Susan Collins she shouldn't cast her vote for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, but the Maine pol isn't exactly motivated by the cash influx. Mainers for Accountable Leadership, the Maine People's Alliance, and a group...
Kavanaugh Opponents Play
Hardball With Sen. Collins
Sep 12, 2018 6:09 AM CDT
Kavanaugh Opponents Play Hardball With Sen. Collins
They're threatening to donate $1.1M to her next opponent
- Activists trying to block Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh are threatening to make a hefty donation to Sen. Susan Collins' opponents if she votes for him—but the plan could backfire. So far, a group of liberal activists including the Maine People's Alliance and dying ALS patient Ady Barkan...
Collins Won't Back Nominee
With 'Hostility' to Roe v. Wade
Jul 1, 2018 2:15 PM CDT
Collins Won't Back Nominee With 'Hostility' to Roe v. Wade
Republican is likely a must-win vote for President Trump's Supreme Court nominee
- GOP Sen. Susan Collins used this week's Sunday morning circuit to make clear that she is not going to vote for any Supreme Court nominee who appears to be against a woman's right to choose to have an abortion. "I would not support a nominee who demonstrated...
Dec 10, 2017 4:11 PM CST
Sen. Collins Criticizes RNC for Backing Roy Moore
Republican senator believes Moore's views make him unfit to serve
- Maine's Republican US senator said on Sunday that Alabama politician Roy Moore was unfit to serve in the Senate even before sexual-misconduct allegations against him came to light. Sen. Susan Collins made the comments on CBS'
Face the Nation
. She called the Republican National Committee's decision to support...
White House Torn Over
ObamaCare Mandate Repeal
Nov 19, 2017 1:00 PM CST
White House Torn Over ObamaCare Mandate Repeal
At least one Republican senator is balking at the idea
- The White House is sending mixed signals about the fate of the Affordable Care Act's individual mandate as it tries to corral enough votes in the Senate to pass tax reform. After President Trump said he would like to see repeal of the mandate as part of the tax...
WH Adviser Suggests Trump
Believes Moore Accusers
Nov 19, 2017 11:00 AM CST
WH Adviser Suggests Trump Believes Moore Accusers
Otherwise he'd be campaigning for the Senate candidate
- President Trump has been uncharacteristically quiet on the issue of Roy Moore , not so much as sending out a single tweet about the embattled Alabama Senate candidate and the multiple allegations of sexual misconduct against him. But to hear one White House adviser tell it, actions in this case speak...
Thanks Susan Collins
Sep 26, 2017 6:42 AM CDT
Jimmy Kimmel Thanks Susan Collins
She 'put people ahead of party,' he says
- "Now I can go back to talking about the Kardashians!" quipped Jimmy Kimmel on his show Monday night after Maine Sen. Susan Collins put what appeared to be the final nail in the coffin of the GOP's latest ObamaCare repeal plan. In an earlier tweet , the host...
Bill Firms Up
Sep 24, 2017 10:08 AM CDT
GOP Senator's Opposition to Health Care Bill Firms Up
Collins says 'very difficult' to see voting for Graham-Cassidy
- It now sounds like Sen. Susan Collins is doing a little more than "leaning against" the GOP's newest ObamaCare repeal effort. "It's very difficult for me to envision a scenario where I would end up voting for this bill," CNN quotes the Maine Republican as...
Is Latest to Incur
Jul 26, 2017 7:21 AM CDT
Alaska Senator Is Latest to Incur Trump's Wrath
Trump disappointed with Lisa Murkowski's 'no' votes Tuesday
- President Trump scored a victory Tuesday when a motion to proceed on the healthcare debate passed the Senate 51-50, but that doesn't mean he's willing to overlook the two votes from Republicans in opposition. In a tweet Wednesday, Trump singled out Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska—who cast...
Hot Mic Catches Senators on
'Crazy' Trump, 'Huge' Lawmaker
Jul 25, 2017 2:39 PM CDT
Hot Mic Catches Senators on 'Crazy' Trump, 'Huge' Lawmaker
'He's so unattractive it's unbelievable'
- "I don't mean to be unkind, but he's so unattractive it's unbelievable," Republican Sen. Susan Collins said Tuesday. Collins was caught on a hot mic discussing Republican Rep. Blake Farenthold after a Senate subcommittee hearing. Last week, Farenthold blamed "female senators" for defeating the...
GOP Plan to Repeal
ObamaCare Looks Doomed
Jul 18, 2017 2:10 PM CDT
GOP Plan to Repeal ObamaCare Looks Doomed
3 Republican senators balk, one more than Mitch McConnell could afford
- And just like that, Mitch McConnell's plan to repeal ObamaCare with a two-year delay appears to be doomed. McConnell announced the revised strategy Monday night, and he could afford only two GOP defections. Already, he's got three: Sens. Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia, Susan Collins of Maine,...
Senate to Start
SUNDAY TALK SHOWS
May 7, 2017 11:02 AM CDT
Susan Collins: Senate to Start Health Care 'From Scratch'
Paul Ryan expects Senate 'will complete the job'
- Republican moderate Sen. Susan Collins of Maine is continuing to express concerns about the health care bill passed by the House and says she expects the Senate to start "from scratch." Collins says the House bill is hard to assess because it was passed without a fresh Congressional...
GOP Senator Will Vote No on
Trump's 'Dangerous' EPA Pick
Feb 16, 2017 1:36 AM CST
GOP Senator Will Vote No on Trump's 'Dangerous' EPA Pick
Susan Collins has 'considerable doubts' about Scott Pruitt
- One Republican senator is breaking ranks to vote against President Trump's nominee to head the Environmental Protection Agency, who has sued the EPA 14 times. Maine's Susan Collins says she "has significant concerns" about issues affecting her state that Scott Pruitt has opposed the EPA on, "...
GOP Senator: Here's Why
I Can't Support Trump
Aug 9, 2016 5:33 AM CDT
GOP Senator: Here's Why I Can't Support Trump
50 GOP security officials sign letter against Trump
- Another Republican senator has shifted from "undecided" to "definitely not voting for Donald Trump." In a
op-ed, Maine Sen. Susan Collins writes that she has concluded that Trump does not "reflect historical Republican values nor the inclusive approach to governing that is critical...
May Back ...
Jun 10, 2016 6:30 AM CDT
GOP Senator May Back ... Clinton
Susan Collins says it's 'unlikely,' but still possible
- The endorsements are rolling in quickly for Hillary Clinton—from the likes of President Obama , Elizabeth Warren , Joe Biden , etc—and now comes word of possible support from a highly unusual source: a sitting Republican senator. Maine's Susan Collins tells the
that she's not ruling out...
4 Members of Congress
Who Buck Their Party the Most
Jun 12, 2015 3:42 PM CDT
4 Members of Congress Who Buck Their Party the Most
Susan Collins, Joe Manchin lead in the Senate
- Which members of Congress are most likely to vote against their own party majority? The
rounds up the leaders with data from GovTrack. Here are the top Republicans and Democrats this year in the House and Senate:
Collin Peterson of Minnesota, who does so 30% of
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Food Prices May Spike Again, Thanks to a New Shortage
Crazy Homecoming Scandal May Result in Serious Jail Time
Stowaway Endures Over 2-Hour Flight Inside Plane Landing Gear
Smash and Grab Turns Deadly for Former Officer
Fauci Says US Could Face 'Fifth Wave' as Omicron Spreads
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.