Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Off the Coast of Israel,
a Rare Archaeological Find
Oct 19, 2021 8:07 AM CDT
Off the Coast of Israel, a Rare Archaeological Find
900-year old sword that likely belonged to knight from the Crusades discovered by diver
- Imagine arriving in the Holy Land nearly 1,000 years ago, fired up to yank back the territory from Islamic rule in the name of the pope, and then ... dropping your sword in the sea. That seems to have been the embarrassing scenario for one knight, whose long-lost sword has...
After Oil Spill, Sea Turtles
Are Fed Mayo as a Cure-All
Feb 23, 2021 10:50 AM CST
After Oil Spill, Sea Turtles Are Fed Mayo as a Cure-All
It cleans their digestive tracts, say rescuers in Israel
- When it comes to saving sea turtles, Israeli rescuers have discovered that mayonnaise is a miracle, per the AP . Employees at Israel's National Sea Turtle Rescue Center are treating endangered green sea turtles affected by a devastating oil spill that has coated Israel's coast with thick black tar....
Tiny Italian Island
Aug 30, 2020 11:10 AM CDT
Refugees Swamp Tiny Italian Island
Protest meets arrivals, as mayor says nation has no plan
- Italy dispatched a coast guard patrol in the Mediterranean Sea to save refugees stranded on a bright pink rescue boat—painted and funded by Banksy, the British street artist. But now there's another problem. The hundreds of evacuees have overwhelmed the shelters on the small island they were ferried...
Banksy on His Migrant Rescue
Boat: 'All Black Lives Matter'
Aug 29, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Banksy on His Migrant Rescue Boat: 'All Black Lives Matter'
Artist is on a mission to help migrants in distress in Mediterranean Sea, says EU doesn't care
- Street artist Banksy has released a video with a strong political message explaining why he became involved in a search and rescue ship helping migrants in the Mediterranean Sea. "Like most people who make it in the art world, I bought a yacht to cruise the Med," the...
After 30 Years Alone on an
Island, He's Told to Clear Out
in case you missed it
Aug 1, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
After 30 Years Alone on an Island, He's Told to Clear Out
Italian authorities say Mauro Morandi has no claim to Budelli
- It's a good time to be living alone on "one of the most beautiful islands in the entire Mediterranean." But the quiet paradise Mauro Morandi has enjoyed for 30 years on the Isle of Budelli off the coast of Sardinia will soon be taken from him, reports...
May 27, 2020 7:49 AM CDT
US Navy: Russian Pilots Shouldn't Be Doing This
It describes 'unsafe' intercepts of aircraft over Mediterranean Sea on Tuesday
- Two Russian planes made an "unsafe and unprofessional" intercept of a US surveillance aircraft flying in international airspace on Tuesday, in what was the third time in two months, according to the US Navy. A pair of videos show Russian SU-35 fighter jets flying on either side of a...
'Act of Piracy
on the High Seas'
Mar 28, 2019 1:01 AM CDT
An Unusual 'Act of Piracy on the High Seas'
Rescued migrants hijack ship, which is later retaken
- A Maltese special operations team on Thursday boarded a tanker that had been hijacked by migrants rescued at sea and returned control to the captain before escorting it to a Maltese port. Armed military personnel stood guard on the ship's deck, and a dozen or so migrants were also...
26 Bodies Found
Floating in Sea.
All Were Teen Girls
Nov 7, 2017 7:21 AM CST
26 Bodies Found Floating in Sea. All Were Teen Girls
Their remains were brought ashore in Salerno, Italy
- They were mostly between the ages of 14 and 18, and 26 of them are now dead. CNN reports on the latest tragedy in the Mediterranean Sea and describes an appalling scene: teenage girls' bodies floating lifelessly beside a nearly submerged rubber dinghy that survivors tried to cling to. The...
Scores of Bodies
Wash Ashore in Libya
Feb 21, 2017 7:03 AM CST
Scores of Bodies Wash Ashore in Libya
Libyan Red Crescent recovered the migrants' bodies Tuesday
- Scores of bodies of African migrants washed ashore in Libya, in the western city of Zawiya on the Mediterranean Sea, a spokesman for the Libyan Red Crescent says. The drownings—at least 74 bodies were found in Zawiya—are the latest tragedy at sea after migrant deaths rose to record...
UN: Survivors Report 240 Dead
in 2 Mediterranean Shipwrecks
Nov 3, 2016 1:58 PM CDT
UN: Survivors Report 240 Dead in 2 Mediterranean Shipwrecks
More than 4,200 migrants have died in the Mediterranean this year
- Survivors say as many as 240 people have died in two shipwrecks off Libya, a UN refugee agency reported Thursday, bringing this year's toll to more than 4,220 migrants dead or missing in risky Mediterranean Sea crossings, the highest count on record. A spokesperson for UNHCR says 31...
End of the 'Jungle': Migrant
Camp Coming Down in France
Oct 24, 2016 6:39 AM CDT
End of the 'Jungle': Migrant Camp Coming Down in France
Thousands of refugees near Calais being bused out to temporary centers
- A camp that has come to symbolize Europe's struggle to handle an ever-growing wave of migrants is being emptied and dismantled near Calais, France. Nicknamed the "Jungle," the camp has been home to somewhere between 7,000 and 10,000 people, and a mass evacuation got started...
Black Box Is Found
Jun 17, 2016 6:58 AM CDT
EgyptAir's Second Black Box Is Found
Flight data and voice recorders were pulled from plane's tail
- The flight data recorder of the EgyptAir plane that crashed last month, killing all 66 people on board, was recovered early Friday from the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea, one day after the plane's cockpit voice recorder was also retrieved. The announcement from the Egyptian investigation committee came two...
Found: Black Box for
Crashed EgyptAir Plane
Jun 16, 2016 9:43 AM CDT
Found: Black Box for Crashed EgyptAir Plane
Egyptian investigators say cockpit voice recorder was pulled out of Mediterranean Sea
- The cockpit voice recorder of the doomed EgyptAir plane that crashed last month, killing all 66 on board, has been found and pulled from the Mediterranean Sea, Egypt's investigation committee said Thursday, per the AP . The development raises hopes of finding clues as to the cause of the May...
Jun 1, 2016 8:33 AM CDT
Pings 'Likely' From EgyptAir Black Box
Search efforts will ramp up in coming days
- A French ship combing the Mediterranean for evidence of EgyptAir Flight 804 has detected what investigators believe are signals from one of the plane's black boxes. Search equipment "has detected signals from the seabed of the search area, which likely belong to one of the data boxes,"...
a Crushing Symbol
of Migrant Crisis
May 31, 2016 6:39 AM CDT
Drowned Baby a Crushing Symbol of Migrant Crisis
Was one of 3 infants pulled from Mediterranean on Friday
- The figure bobbing in the water looked "like a doll, arms outstretched." But what German humanitarian organization Sea-Watch pulled from the Mediterranean Sea on Friday was not a doll. "I took hold of the forearm of the baby and pulled the light body protectively into my arms...
Up to 500 Feared Dead in
Apr 20, 2016 1:54 PM CDT
Up to 500 Feared Dead in Mediterranean Shipwreck
Smugglers were transferring the migrants to a larger boat in choppy waters
- Up to 500 people are feared dead after a shipwreck in the Mediterranean Sea last week, UN refugee agency UNHCR said Wednesday. The AP reports the disaster happened in waters between Italy and Libya, based on accounts from 41 survivors who were rescued on April 16 by a merchant ship....
How Did 243 People Vanish
Without a Trace Last Year?
Oct 17, 2015 1:08 PM CDT
How Did 243 People Vanish Without a Trace Last Year?
It's unclear whether the refugees even made it on board the boat
- When a rickety fishing boat smuggling more than 500 passengers across the Mediterranean capsized on Oct. 3, 2015 , the world took notice. More than 350 people, many refugees from Eritrea, drowned, and European leaders promised action, reports the
New York Times
. But when 243 passengers, again largely refugees from Eritrea,...
Aug 15, 2015 8:39 AM CDT
40 Migrants Suffocate in Ship Bound for Italy
But navy rescues more than 300
- At least 40 migrants died today in the hold of an overcrowded smuggling boat in the Mediterranean Sea north of Libya, but some 320 others on the same boat were saved by the Italian navy. The survivors included 45 women and three children. Migrants by the tens of thousands are...
Divers Run Into
in case you missed it
Aug 15, 2015 7:25 AM CDT
Divers Run Into Mysterious, Giant, Jellylike 'Thing'
One expert says it could be a giant mass of tens of thousands of squid eggs
- When Lutfu Tanriover went on a deep-sea dive off the coast of Turkey in early July, he wasn't prepared for what he and his fellow divers encountered 72 feet below the surface: a gelatinous, see-through blob the size of a car that he nicknamed "The Thing," the...
Ancient Mystery Monolith Found Off Sicily's Coast
Aug 7, 2015 3:02 PM CDT
Ancient Mystery Monolith Found Off Sicily's Coast
It dates back 10K years, was submerged in flood
- Archaeologists have made quite the find off the coast of Sicily: a monolith that dates back about 10,000 years. It's broken in two now and on its side, but the block would have stood nearly 40 feet tall in its heyday, before a massive flood submerged it (along...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Mom's Text to Suspected Shooter: 'Ethan Don't Do It'
Parents of Shooting Suspect Are Considered Fugitives
Plumber Finds Cash Stashed Behind Megachurch Wall
Chef Sentenced to 4 Months for 'Rushed' Shepherd's Pie
Buttigieg, Harris, and the Elephant in the Room
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.