In between lashing out at the media, leaks, and more, President Trump said during a Thursday press conference that a new "very comprehensive order" on immigration and refugees would be coming next week "toward the beginning or middle at the latest," NPR reports. While he didn't give any details on the new executive order, Trump said it will "comprehensively protect our country." According to CNN, Trump said the new order will be "very much tailored" to what he says was a "bad decision" by the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals, which blocked enforcement of his travel ban earlier this month. Trump's comments suggest the new order will be "narrower in its focus," the Los Angeles Times reports.
During the press conference, Trump defended his original travel ban, saying it "had a very smooth rollout" but ran into a "bad court." The president said his administration will continue "vigorously defending" the original ban in court. But that doesn't necessarily appear to be the case. Earlier on Thursday, the Justice Department said Trump doesn't plan to keep fighting for the original ban and instead will "rescind the order and replace it." The department says Trump's new executive order will address what the Court of Appeals—wrongly, the department says—saw as "constitutional concerns." (Here are the biggest lines from Trump's press conference.)