Accusations Fly Over NBC News and a Bombshell Story - Page 2
Producer who worked with Ronan Farrow speaks out
Posted Aug 31, 2018 9:50 AM CDT
- The men secured interviews and an NYPD audio recording, but by the spring, Oppenheim was allegedly cooling to the story. The Beast's sources say Farrow started to think Oppenheim was possibly in communication with Weinstein (Oppenheim is also a screenwriter); that summer, Oppenheim allegedly told Farrow that Weinstein had issues with his reporting—which Farrow hadn't discussed with Weinstein.
- Both stories say things came to a head in August 2017, when Farrow and McHugh secured an interview with an alleged Weinstein victim in LA. The Beast reports NBC News wouldn't allow them the use of a camera crew. McHugh tells the Times three days before they were to depart "I was ordered to stop, not to interview this woman. And to stand down on the story altogether." He did not specify who gave the order.
- In comments to the Times, Oppenheim says that timeline isn't quite right: that the day before the trip Farrow asked him to take the story to a magazine and he said yes. Oppenheim says he only subsequently denied the men the camera crew because Farrow had already asked to depart with the story.
- McHugh, who is speaking out two weeks after getting a new job and leaving NBC News, says "the very highest levels of NBC" put the story on ice in what he sees as "a massive breach of journalistic integrity."
- The Beast's sources share some more extreme allegations: that Weinstein's attorney alleged he had an agreement with NBC News that Farrow's reporting wouldn't be used, and that NBC News general counsel Susan Weiner made threatening comments to Farrow in a bid to get him to drop the story.
My Take on This Story
Show results |