Trump Backers Online Have New Term to Mock Liberals - Page 2
'NPC' is a gaming term, but it's being used by Trump supporters on Reddit, 4Chan
- The meme: This joke mostly stayed within online Trump forums such as this one, but it has caught on more widely of late. See this tweet. As seen there, users often replace a person's face with that of an online figure known as NPC Wojak, a variation of longtime internet character Wojak, who "is often used as a reaction image to represent feelings such as melancholy, regret or loneliness," per Know Your Meme.
- Can't lose: "Like a lot of conservative memes, the rhetoric helps insulate it from criticism. If a number of people claim they aren’t being brainwashed to fight the depiction, well, they’re just brainwashed to say that," writes Ellen Ioanes at the Daily Dot. "Any criticism of the meme’s logic is proof that you’re a stupid NPC sheep."
- Twitter trouble: As Roose explains, this might have stayed relatively low-key, but the Trump backers began creating fictional Twitter accounts to further spread the meme. Twitter shut them all down over the weekend because some started putting up posts with false information, such as encouraging the anti-Trump crowd to vote on Nov. 7, a day after Election Day.
- Another move: Twitter purged dozens of accounts on the left linked to the Occupy movement, reports Wired. Apparently, the "coordinated nature" of the accounts made them seem inauthentic.
- And another: Twitter also released a ton of data, including more than 10 million tweets, believed to be linked to foreign entities who tried to improperly influence US elections, reports Business Insider. The company has previously acknowledged such posts, but it says the data dump will help researchers better understand the problem.
(Read more Twitter
My Take on This Story
Show results |