A group of Brooklyn parents has sued the city's health department to block its its order making vaccinations mandatory, even as federal health officials reported the biggest increase this year in measles cases across the country. The parents say the emergency order last week violates their religious beliefs, the New York Post reports. Their suit filed Monday says the outbreak isn't serious enough to warrant the order, which gave residents 48 hours to get vaccinated, because no deaths have been reported. The vaccine also covers mumps and rubella, "which are unnecessary and carry the risk of harm," the suit says, especially for children younger than 1 and women who might become pregnant. The order requires everyone 6 months and older living, working, or attending school in certain zip codes of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, be vaccinated, per ABC.
Also on Monday, the CDC said that 90 more measles cases across the country had been reported last week, per USA Today. That's the biggest increase of 2019: 555 cases now have been confirmed in 20 states, the CDC says, while the total a week ago was 465 cases. The only year with more cases since measles was declared eradicated in the US in 2000 was 2014, when there were 667. The CDC report did not say whether there have been any fatalities, per Reuters. Cases are increasing worldwide, too: The World Health Organization said Monday that the number has climbed 300% in the first three months of the year over 2018. (Read more measles stories.)