Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nebraska's Mascot Loses
Hand Gesture Used Since 1974
Jan 30, 2022 6:57 AM CST
Nebraska's Mascot Loses Hand Gesture Used Since 1974
In recent years, the 'ok' sign has been read by some as a white power reference
- The hand gesture that the University of Nebraska's mascot has been making since 1974 has been changed after that gesture took on new meaning about five years ago. For decades the Herbie Husker mascot formed an "OK" hand gesture by placing his thumb and forefinger together to form...
School Board Meeting Over
Mascot Ends With a Punch
Dec 15, 2021 3:14 PM CST
School Board Meeting Over Mascot Ends With a Punch
Things got heated in Glastonbury, Conn., Tuesday night
- A school board meeting in Connecticut got heated on Tuesday, and for once, COVID requirements and critical race theory weren't the cause. At issue was Glastonbury High School mascots, the subject of the special board of education meeting being held that night in Glastonbury. The school's mascot has...
West Point Cadets
Fail to Get Navy's Goat
Nov 23, 2021 7:58 PM CST
West Point Cadets Fail to Get Navy's Goat
They made off with retired Navy mascot instead of the current Bill
- A top-secret mission involving West Point cadets went wrong over the weekend when they kidnapped the wrong goat. In what Dave Philipps at the
New York Times
calls a "Bay of Pigs-style embarrassment," US Military Academy cadets trying to carry on the long, but officially banned, tradition of...
Valparaiso Is Dumping
Its Controversial Mascot
Feb 12, 2021 8:01 AM CST
Valparaiso Is Dumping Its Controversial Mascot
University says Crusader is a 'symbol of division'
- After decades of controversy, Valparaiso University is retiring its Crusader mascot. In a video statement on Facebook , officials at the Indiana university noted that Crusader imagery "can be associated with aggressive religious oppression and violence," some of it a lot more recent than the religious wars of the...
Pringles Mascot Gets a
Body Thanks to John Oliver
Dec 9, 2020 11:43 AM CST
Pringles Mascot Gets a Body Thanks to John Oliver
And Feeding America gets $20K
- John Oliver has spent more time than anyone really should spend wondering what the body of the Pringles mascot looks like. He discussed some possibilities before
Last Week Tonight
went on hiatus, per the
, then released a web exclusive video on Sunday in which he showcased viewers' drawings...
Feb 3, 2020 7:45 PM CST
Police: Mascot Didn't Assault Young Fan
Investigation clears Gritty in a case that many say couldn't be 'more Philly'
- Whoever that is under the costume of the Philadelphia Flyers mascot—the team won't say—has been cleared of an accusation of assault against a 13-year-old fan. The boy's father had lodged the complaint over his son's encounter with Gritty last fall at Wells Fargo Arena, NBC...
Philly Team Is Suing
Aug 4, 2019 7:47 AM CDT
Philly Team Is Suing Mascot's Creator
And not the Philly team you would think
- If any Philadelphia sports team was to sue the creator of its mascot, one could reasonably presume it would be the Flyers . Alas, Gritty will remain while the Philadelphia Phillies are suing the New York company that created the Phanatic to prevent the green furry fan favorite from becoming a...
a Smash at
Jul 15, 2019 4:44 PM CDT
Mascot Is a Smash at Kid's Party. Literally
NJ Devil breaks window in possible attempt at humor
- Possibly weary of the quiet, nonviolent offseason, the New Jersey Devils mascot shook up a child's birthday party Sunday by smashing into a plate-glass window. The young partiers had been playing with a rainbow parachute when, as the parachute hit the ground, NJ Devil turned his back on the...
This Sight Will Soon
Be Banned in Maine
May 17, 2019 1:00 PM CDT
This Sight Will Soon Be Banned in Maine
Gov. Janet Mills signs law banning Native American mascots in public schools
- Maine has adopted a ban on Native American symbols as public school mascots, making it the first US state to do so, reports CNN and the
. "While Indian mascots were often originally chosen to recognize and honor a school's unique connection to Native American communities in Maine,...
West Point Prank
Injures Air Force Mascot
Nov 5, 2018 1:55 AM CST
West Point Prank Injures Air Force Mascot
Gyrfalcon was returned with bloodied wings
- The United States Military Academy at West Point has apologized for a "prank" that injured the Air Force Academy's official mascot. Aurora, a 22-year-old white gyrfalcon, suffered injuries initially thought to be life-threatening after she was abducted along with another bird ahead of Saturday's annual Army-Air Force...
Flyers Unveil Bizarre New
Mascot, Internet Convulses
Sep 25, 2018 2:17 AM CDT
Flyers Unveil Bizarre New Mascot, Internet Convulses
'Gritty' drew a massive response online
- The Philadelphia Flyers have introduced an odd-looking new team mascot—a 7-foot fuzzy creature named Gritty with a wild, orange beard. The character's debut triggered an outpouring of comments online, including "Good luck sleeping tonight, Flyers fans" and comparisons to ZZ Top and the Muppets. The cross-state rival...
'Monopoly Man' Explains 'His'
Stunt in Online AMA
Oct 6, 2017 1:34 PM CDT
'Monopoly Man' Explains 'His' Stunt in Online AMA
The 'man' is really financial activist Amanda Werner, and she had quite a lot to say on Reddit
- She came, she saw, she conquered the Equifax Senate Banking Committee hearing —dressed up like the "Monopoly Man." Amanda Werner went viral after she donned her top hat, mustache, and monocle Wednesday to resemble Rich Uncle Pennybags, sitting behind ex-Equifax CEO Richard Smith, and on Friday, Werner...
There's Something Off-Putting
About This Denny's Mascot
Sep 13, 2017 2:54 PM CDT
There's Something Off-Putting About This Denny's Mascot
And the internet knows what it is
- When it comes to creating a new mascot for your restaurant, maybe brown and log-shaped isn't the way to go.
reports Denny's debuted its anthropomorphized sausage character "Sausage" back in 2014. But the internet wasn't going to ignore a restaurant mascot that looks like...
Mar 15, 2016 8:00 AM CDT
Honey Nut Cheerios Bee Disappears
It's for a good cause: to bring awareness to declining bee population
- He's known for tempting our tummies with the taste of nuts and honey, but it looks like Buzz the bee (or, at least, the northern version of him) will be taking a temporary hiatus. The General Mills mascot used in promotions for Honey Nut Cheerios will be taken off...
University of ND
Nov 18, 2015 12:45 PM CST
University of ND Has New, Non-'Hostile' Nickname
It's now the Fighting Hawks
- University of North Dakota backers have selected Fighting Hawks as the school's new nickname, the school announced Wednesday. The predatory bird received 57% of the mascot vote compared to 43% for Roughriders. The new nickname replaces Fighting Sioux, which was retired by the state Board of Higher Education in...
Set to Dump
Nov 18, 2015 12:33 AM CST
Amherst Set to Dump 'Racist' Mascot
Lord Jeff advocated giving smallpox to Native Americans
- A British lord now best known for advocating biological warfare may be America's most endangered mascot. At an informal vote at Amherst College on Monday night, faculty voted unanimously in favor of dumping the Massachusetts institution's unofficial "Lord Jeff" mascot, reports the
New York Times
. The mascot...
High School May Lose
Live Tiger Cub Mascot
Aug 29, 2015 2:45 PM CDT
High School May Lose Live Tiger Cub Mascot
Booster club fails to satisfy state's guidelines for using exotic animals
- Is a 45-year tradition coming to an end? A football-crazed Ohio high school brought out a live tiger cub before its season opener on Thursday as it always does, but the
reports the school apparently did so without meeting new state regulations on exotic animals. Every year since 1970,...
Illinois School Refuses
to Drop 'Midget' Name
Jul 17, 2015 9:34 AM CDT
Illinois School Refuses to Drop 'Midget' Name
Freeburg Midgets will remain as such
- Athletes at a southern Illinois high school will keep the nickname Freeburg Midgets, despite the objections of a group representing people with dwarfism who find the name offensive. About 500 people gathered at the Freeburg Community High School late yesterday to urge the school board not to dump the mascot....
a Bit Scary
Apr 21, 2015 3:25 PM CDT
NSA Recycling Mascot Is a Bit Scary
Apparently a recycling bin needs huge arms
- The NSA has revealed its mascot for Earth Day tomorrow, and though the fact that the agency has a recycling mascot is odd enough, Gizmodo reports it's "an anthropomorphized and oddly buff recycling bin named Dunk" that "breaks new ground creepiness-wise." The Verge , meanwhile, thinks he'...
'Not Your Mascot:'
Nov 2, 2014 1:09 PM CST
'Not Your Mascot:' Native Americans Protest Redskins
As team bus is involved in an accident on way to Minneapolis
- The Washington Redskins are having a rough time of it today: Things started with a crash this morning involving two of the team's buses, which were en route to play the Vikings in Minneapolis, reports the AP . A police escort in Minnesota crashed into a guardrail around 8:30am;...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.