Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nobel Team Rescinds
Invite to 3 Nations
Sep 2, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Nobel Team Rescinds Invite to 3 Nations
Invites to Russia, Belarus, Iran withdrawn after Swedish lawmakers said they'd boycott awards
- The Nobel Foundation on Saturday retracted its invitation for representatives of Russia, Belarus, and Iran to attend this year's Nobel Prize award ceremonies after the controversial decision "provoked strong reactions." Several Swedish lawmakers said Friday they would boycott this year's Nobel Prize award ceremonies in the...
US to Citizens: Get
Out of Belarus Now
Aug 21, 2023 3:19 PM CDT
US to Citizens: Get Out of Belarus Now
Border crossings are being closed amid growing tensions with neighbors
- American citizens in Belarus have been told to get out of the country as soon as possible. In an alert issued Monday, the State Department classed the country as a Level 4 security risk, the highest on the scale, the Hill reports. Last week, Lithuania closed two of its six...
Thousands of Wagner Troops
Are in Belarus: Monitor
Jul 24, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
Thousands of Wagner Troops Are in Belarus: Monitor
Defense ministry says mercenaries are training with its forces
- Thousands of Russia-linked Wagner group mercenaries have arrived in Belarus since the group's short-lived rebellion, a military monitoring group said Monday. Between 3,450 and 3,650 soldiers have traveled to a camp close to Asipovichy, a town 140 miles north of the Ukrainian border, according to Belaruski Hajun,...
Prigozhin: Wagner Fighters
Won't Go Back to Ukraine
Jul 20, 2023 10:17 AM CDT
Prigozhin: Wagner Fighters Won't Go Back to Ukraine
Mercenary group launches joint drills with Belarus military
- Wagner Group commander Yevgeny Prigozhin is alive and well and making big plans for the mercenary group, according to a video released Wednesday on Wagner-linked Telegram video channels. In the video, his first public appearance since last month's failed mutiny against Russian military leadership, Prigozhin speaks at dusk to...
Lukashenko: Wagner Chief
Is Back in Russia
Jul 6, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Lukashenko: Wagner Chief Is Back in Russia
He says no decision has been made on Wagner fighters moving to Belarus
- Wagner Group leader Yevgeny Prigozhin reportedly went to Belarus last week as part of the deal to end the mercenary group's mutiny against Russian military leadership—and while some observers expected him to end up falling out of a tall building in Minsk, he is now back in Russia,...
Prigozhin Issues New Message
Jul 3, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Prigozhin Issues New Message
Leader of failed rebellion tells supporters to watch for victories in Ukraine
- Supporters hoping to hear from Yevgeny Prigozhin got their way Monday. After a week of public silence, the exiled head of the Wagner Group posted a 41-second voice message about his failed uprising in Russia last month, Politico reports. "I want you to understand that our 'March of...
Lukashenko Says Prigozhin
Can Stay for 'Some Time'
Jun 27, 2023 3:03 PM CDT
Lukashenko Says Prigozhin Can Stay for 'Some Time'
'Belarusians don't welcome war criminal Prigozhin,' opposition leader says
- Yevgeny Prigozhin, owner of the private army of prison recruits and other mercenaries who have fought some of the deadliest battles in Russia's invasion of Ukraine, escaped prosecution for his abortive armed rebellion against the Kremlin and arrived Tuesday in Belarus. The exile of the 62-year-old owner of the Wagner...
What the Peace Deal
Means for Wagner Group
Jun 27, 2023 6:54 AM CDT
What the Peace Deal Means for Wagner Group
Its fighters face a choice as group surrenders military equipment to Russian Army
- Wagner Group leader Yevgeny Prigozhin is rumored to have arrived in Belarus— his new home after launching an armed rebellion that served as the greatest threat in decades to Russian President Vladimir Putin's leadership. Independent Belarusian military monitoring project Belaruski Hajun said a business jet used by Prigozhin landed...
Lukashenko Saved the Day.
Jun 26, 2023 8:22 AM CDT
Lukashenko Saved the Day. Wait, Lukashenko?
Belarus leader is making the most of his PR moment, but analysts are skeptical
- Russia appeared to be very much on the brink of what Vladimir Putin called a "civil war" when an unexpected savior emerged to broker a deal : Belarus leader Alexander Lukashenko . Or at least, that is the official version being told by state media in Belarus. The rest of the...
Wagner Chief Says He's
Halting Advance to Moscow
Jun 24, 2023 1:41 PM CDT
Wagner Chief Says He's Halting Advance to Moscow
Belarus reports it negotiated a deal with Prigozhin to end the Russian threat
- The head of the armed mercenary force rolling toward Moscow announced Saturday that he was halting the advance, as Belarus said it had negotiated a deal with Yevgeny Prigozhin. The Wagner Group troops are "turning our columns around," Prigozhin said in an audio message on Telegram, per CNN...
Lukashenko Boasts of What
Russia Has Sent His Way
Jun 14, 2023 7:38 AM CDT
Lukashenko Boasts of What Russia Has Sent His Way
But it's unclear if the tactical nuclear weapons have truly arrived in Belarus
- Some three weeks after Belarus signed a deal allowing Russia to deploy tactical nuclear weapons on its territory, the Belarusian president suggested some of those weapons are in place. Bloomberg reports delivery wasn't supposed to occur until construction of a nuclear storage facility in Belarus is completed around July...
Belarus Prez Promises
Nuclear Weapons to 'Everyone'
May 29, 2023 10:38 AM CDT
Belarus Prez Promises Nuclear Weapons to 'Everyone'
He urges other countries to join Russia-Belarus union
- Belarus has signed a deal to allow Russia to deploy nuclear weapons on its territory but President Alexander Lukashenko apparently doesn't want other former members of the Soviet Union to feel left out. In an interview aired on a state-run Russian channel Sunday, the Belarusian leader promised that "...
Belarus Signs Russia
Nuclear Weapons Deal
May 25, 2023 9:05 AM CDT
Belarus Signs Russia Nuclear Weapons Deal
Weapons can now be deployed in Belarusian territory
- Russia and Belarus signed a deal on Thursday formalizing the procedure for deploying Russian nuclear weapons on Belarusian territory. Control of the weapons will remain with Moscow. The move formalized a deal agreed on earlier by Russian President Vladimir Putin and Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, the AP reports. Putin announced...
Major Events, Sparking
May 16, 2023 3:25 PM CDT
Lukashenko Misses Major Events, Sparking Health Rumors
Belarus opposition leader says people should be 'well prepared for any scenario'
- The authoritarian leader of Belarus has been absent from key events in recent days, sparking rumors that his health is failing. Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko last appeared in public at events in Moscow and Minsk on May 9 to commemorate victory in World War II, reports Reuters . Observers said the...
Belarus Sentences Dissident
to 8 Years in Penal Colony
May 3, 2023 5:59 PM CDT
Belarus Sentences Dissident to 8 Years in Penal Colony
Roman Protasevich was arrested in 2021 after an airliner he was on was forced down
- A court in Minsk has sentenced an opposition activist whose flight was forced down by Belarus in 2021 so he could be taken into custody to eight years in a penal colony. State media said Wednesday that Roman Protasevich, 27, was charged with organizing mass riots, calling for sanctions against...
Poland Put Razor Wire
Along Russia Border,
Goes a Step Further
Apr 19, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Poland Put Razor Wire Along Russia Border, Goes a Step Further
Nation to install barrier with 24-hour monitoring along its land border with Russia
- Poland has begun building a state-of-the-art electronic barrier at its land border with Russia's Kaliningrad exclave to monitor and counteract any illegal activity, the Polish interior minister said Tuesday. The barrier, which will be equipped with 24-hour monitoring cameras and motion detectors, will run for 130 miles and is...
Back to Russia
Apr 13, 2023 10:28 AM CDT
Belarus Sends Anti-War Dad Back to Russia
Alexei Moskalyov fled country after he was convicted of 'discrediting' military
- A Russian man who fled the country after he was convicted of "discrediting" the country's military has been extradited from Belarus, a human rights group says. Alexei Moskalyov, 54, was arrested in Minsk last month, two days after he fled house arrest in Yefremov, south of Moscow. Hours...
Russia to Put Tactical
Nuclear Weapons in Belarus
Mar 25, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Russia to Put Tactical Nuclear Weapons in Belarus
Putin argues it's like the US agreements with European nations
- President Vladimir Putin said Saturday that Russia will station tactical nuclear weapons in Belarus. The allies struck an agreement after Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko raised the possibility, Putin told Russian state television, per the BBC . Russia will maintain control of the weapons, he said, likening the move to the US...
Nobel Peace Prize Winner Gets
'Simply Appalling' Sentence
Mar 3, 2023 5:26 AM CST
Nobel Peace Prize Winner Gets 'Simply Appalling' Sentence
Belarus activist Ales Bialiatski sentenced to 10 years in prison
- Ales Bialiatski was in prison when he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize last year and he was sentenced to another 10 years on Friday. The 60-year-old, one of three activists in Eastern Europe who shared the prize in 2022, was convicted of financing "activities that grossly violate public...
Drones Hit Russian Spy Plane,
Belarusian Saboteurs Say
Feb 27, 2023 5:53 PM CST
Drones Hit Russian Spy Plane, Belarusian Saboteurs Say
Opposition group claims responsibility for damaging Beriev A-50
- Belarus opposition leaders said they launched a drone attack against a Russian military surveillance aircraft, successfully damaging it. The head of the exiled organization BYPOL claimed responsibility Sunday for the strike—which he said took place at an airfield near Minsk, the capital of Belarus—on the Telegram messaging app,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
First a 7.6 Magnitude Quake, Now a Tsunami Warning
One Group of Creatives Has Stellar Mental Health
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.