Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
NZ Curling Team Moves Into
a Canadian Retirement Home
Nov 3, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
NZ Curling Team Moves Into a Canadian Retirement Home
New Zealand squad needed inexpensive lodging while training in Canada
- The average age of residents in the Chartwell Colonel Belcher Retirement Residence in Calgary is 84, notes the
New York Times
. But if the home's four new temporary residents were factored in, the number would skew much lower. In an unusual lodging arrangement—and one that seems to thrill...
This Is the
Most Livable City
in the World
in case you missed it
Jun 25, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
This Is the Most Livable City in the World
Vienna is No. 1 in rankings of 170+ cities worldwide; no US cities make the top 10
- Looking to pull up roots and try to make it in an exciting new city? Head to Vienna, deemed the most livable city, or to Canada, where three cities are among the top picks on the Economist Intelligence Unit's Global Liveability Index . The EIU based its rankings of more...
'Unusually Bold' Coyote
Gets a Death Sentence
Jun 22, 2021 8:02 AM CDT
'Unusually Bold' Coyote Gets a Death Sentence
Calgary plans to trap and kill animal
- A "unusually bold and aggressive" coyote has been attacking people in Calgary, Alberta, and its days appear to be numbered. The city says the coyote is suspected of three attacks in the northwest part of the city, in which at least two people were bitten. Nicole Au was playing...
She Scored Win
Over Abusive Hubby.
Then, Molotov Cocktails
Dec 22, 2020 12:19 PM CST
She Scored Win Over Abusive Hubby. Then, Molotov Cocktails
Battered wife Natasha Bourdon's home burns to the ground
- A Canadian woman won a divorce battle that meant she'd be allowed to stay in her home while her abusive husband paid the mortgage—and less than 48 hours after that decision, the house burned to the ground. Police in Calgary, Alberta, confirmed the Dec. 3 fire occurred under...
May 14, 2020 4:38 PM CDT
Calgary Sending Pandas Home
With flights canceled, zoo can't get enough good bamboo for them to eat
- Two giant pandas scheduled to stay in Canada for three more years are instead headed back to China. Because of the pandemic shutdown, the CBC reports, the Calgary Zoo said it's having problems getting shipments of imported bamboo. "This is too much stress on my team and on...
He Had a Rape Bag.
She Had a Watch
Oct 23, 2019 6:00 PM CDT
He Had a Rape Bag. She Had a Watch
And that Apple Watch did one thing very well
- Looks like the Apple Watch came in handy for three people in dire straits. One, dubbed Anna by CBC News , awoke in her Calgary apartment in April to find a dark figure moving around. Per court testimony Tuesday, John Joseph Macindoe had broken in with a "rape bag" including...
Couple Wins Shopping Spree,
Comes Home With Nothing
in case you missed it
Jun 22, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Couple Wins Shopping Spree, Comes Home With Nothing
Instead, they donate it all to local food bank in Canada
- "I immediately envisioned grabbing all sorts of things for my own cupboard," Chantal Leroux tells CBC News of the moment she learned she'd won a US $375 shopping spree at an Alberta grocery store. "A couple seconds later, I thought what a great opportunity to be...
Blamed for Flier's
Pain Was Not
a Gum Wrapper
Mar 12, 2019 7:49 AM CDT
'Gum Wrapper' Blamed for Flier's Pain Was Not a Gum Wrapper
Canadian student was stung by scorpion on Air Transat flight from Toronto to Calgary
- If you're seated next to Quin Maltais on a future flight, forgive her if she's a little jumpy. That's because the Canadian student recently had another seatmate—an unwelcome one—on a recent Air Transat flight from Toronto to Calgary. On that Feb. 26 flight, Maltais initially...
Airport Locked Down After
Musician Mistaken for Shooter
Dec 21, 2018 1:06 AM CST
Airport Locked Down After Musician Mistaken for Shooter
Calgary cops believe instrument caused confusion
- Workers at Calgary International Airport were on edge Thursday after hearing that threats had been phoned in to the airport, which may explain a mix-up that caused an hours-long lockdown. Police say parts of the international terminal were locked down after reports of an active shooter, the CBC reports. Officers...
Calgary Residents on 2026
Olympics: That's a Hard No
Nov 14, 2018 7:21 AM CST
Calgary Residents on 2026 Olympics: That's a Hard No
Vote was nonbinding, but it looks like city's bid will be nixed
- "Does Calgary really want the Winter Olympics? Does anyone?" That's the question posed by the
New York Times
on Monday, and it looks like the first question has just been answered. The AP reports that, in a nonbinding referendum held Tuesday, 56% of voters (more than 170,000...
Cops: Man Died
After Climbing Inside
Women's Bathroom Wall
May 3, 2018 6:20 AM CDT
Cops: Man Died After Climbing Inside Women's Bathroom Wall
Calgary mall death ruled accidental
- Police in Calgary have ruled out foul play in a gruesome find behind a wall of a mall bathroom —but there are still some unanswered questions. Police say a man in his 20s died after climbing inside the wall of a women's bathroom and becoming stuck, but they'...
Made Behind Wall
of Mall Bathroom
May 1, 2018 6:24 AM CDT
Horrifying Find Made Behind Wall of Mall Bathroom
Man's body was found at Calgary mall
- Police in Calgary are investigating a horrifying find made when a mall maintenance worker tried to fix a toilet in a women's bathroom that wouldn't flush. "If you were to look at the toilet, there's a panel behind it so that when people move, it would...
Woman Picks Up Surprise
Passenger on Her Commute
Sep 13, 2017 9:02 AM CDT
Woman Picks Up Surprise Passenger on Her Commute
Georgie Knox had no clue there was a coyote in her car's grille
- Wile E. Coyote may be accustomed to vehicular chaos , but it was one of his cousins in the Great White North that took a wild ride last week. Canada's Georgie Knox says she was on her way to her job in Calgary early one morning when a coyote ran...
Safe in Canada, Refugees Pay
Justin Trudeau a Sweet Thanks
May 8, 2017 10:03 AM CDT
Safe in Canada, Refugees Pay Justin Trudeau a Sweet Thanks
Afraa and Muhammad Bilan 'love' Canadian PM for their new life, name son after him
- At last count, more than 40,000 Syrian refugees had made Canada their new home since November 2015. Now the
reports that two of their number have thanked Prime Minister Justin Trudeau for his efforts with the ultimate compliment: They named their baby after him. Justin Trudeau Adam...
7 Penguins Mysteriously
Drowned at Canadian Zoo
Dec 10, 2016 10:05 AM CST
7 Penguins Mysteriously Drowned at Canadian Zoo
'Nothing we’ve ever encountered before'
- Employees at the Calgary Zoo made a horrifying discovery Thursday morning: seven dead Humboldt penguins, all apparently drowned in a 3-feet-deep pool. "Everybody here is pretty shaken up by it," animal care director Jamie Dorgan tells CBC News . The penguins were being kept in a holding area this...
A Dying Boy
Mom Gave Him
Nov 29, 2016 8:33 AM CST
A Dying Boy Needed Antibiotics; Mom Gave Him Tea: Prosecutors
Tamara Lovett accused in death of 7-year-old son
- For 10 days, 7-year-old Ryan Alexander Lovett laid in bed while his mother fed him dandelion tea and oil of oregano. He died as a result, according to prosecutors. In a trial that began Monday in Calgary, Alberta, prosecutors accuse Tamara Lovett, 47, of failing to provide the "necessaries...
Jul 15, 2016 4:30 PM CDT
Police: Missing 5-Year-Old Girl Dead After Mom's Murder
Body of Taliyah Marsman found in rural field
- A 5-year-old Canadian girl missing following her mother's murder is believed dead. The
reports authorities found a body believed to be that of Taliyah Marsman in a rural field on Thursday. Police believe she was dead before an Amber Alert for her went out early Tuesday. Her...
Jul 13, 2016 3:40 PM CDT
5-Year-Old Missing After Mom Killed
Taliyah Marsman hasn't been seen since Sunday morning
- Police are searching for a missing 5-year-old girl after her mother was found dead in their apartment Monday in Canada, the
reports. Investigators believe Sara Baillie was killed, though a cause of death hasn't been given, and an Amber Alert for her daughter Taliyah Marsman was issued...
'Rage Yoga' Is Now a Thing
Apr 8, 2016 8:41 AM CDT
'Rage Yoga' Is Now a Thing
It pairs beer, heavy metal, and cussing with yoga
- Looking to get "Zen as (f-bomb deleted)"? Then Rage Yoga might be right up your alley, SF Gate reports. But—at least until online expansion plans take hold—if you want to partake in the class that pairs yoga poses with pints of beer, screamed profanity, and Metallica...
Lost Gold During
Mar 2, 2016 5:23 PM CST
Plumbers Find Lost Gold During Bathroom Remodel
'We were pumped when we found it, of course'
- Plumbers haven't found this much gold since the last time King Koopa kidnapped Princess Toadstool. But this is no Mario Bros. plot: Alif Babul and his apprentice of two days, Dean Materi, were tearing apart a residential bathroom in Calgary last month when Materi made an unusual discovery, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.