Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hey, Look Who NOAA
Just Found in the Ocean
in case you missed it
Aug 7, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Hey, Look Who NOAA Just Found in the Ocean
Expedition turns up real-life counterparts to SpongeBob and Patrick Star
- A marine biologist with the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History did a double-take while reviewing footage from a deep-sea drone. There, on the ocean floor, sat the real-life doppelgangers for SpongeBob SquarePants and his pal Patrick Star, reports Smithsonian . "I normally avoid these (references)..but WOW,"...
Boy Buys $2.6K Worth of
SpongeBob Popsicles Online
May 6, 2021 3:40 PM CDT
Boy Buys $2.6K Worth of SpongeBob Popsicles Online
Fundraiser for his mom will cover the bill after son's Amazon adventure
- Say this about 4-year-old Noah Bryant. The kid likes SpongeBob, and he likes popsicles. Those two factors help explain why he ordered 51 cases of non-refundable SpongeBob popsicles from Amazon at a cost of more than $2,600, reports the
New York Post
. That's more than 900 popsicles in...
2 SpongeBob Episodes
Pulled From Streaming
Mar 31, 2021 2:18 AM CDT
2 SpongeBob Episodes Pulled From Streaming
One due to COVID sensitivities, one for content not appropriate for kids
- Two episodes of
have been deemed inappropriate and pulled from streaming services Paramount+ and Amazon. You may be able to guess why "Kwarantined Crab" got the boot: The 12th-season episode deals with a virus plotline (in the show, it's the "clam flu") that make...
Tweet May Finally Settle
Jun 14, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
Tweet May Finally Settle SpongeBob's Sexuality
Nickelodeon tweets about the character for Pride month
- Nickelodeon rekindled the question of SpongeBob Squarepants' sexuality Saturday with a tweet celebrating Pride month,
reports. "Celebrating #Pride with the LGBTQ+ community and their allies this month and every month," the tweet reads along with images of Spongebob, Michael Cohen from
and Avatar Korra...
Must Sing at Halftime
Dec 1, 2018 4:23 PM CST
Petition: Spongebob Must Sing at Halftime
A fan petitions the NFL
' creator may be gone, but he's far from forgotten. A fan's petition has garnered nearly 300,000 signatures as of this writing asking the NFL to have "Sweet Victory" performed at the next halftime show, Fox News reports. Spongebob performed the '80s-style power ballad...
Creator Is Dead at 57
Nov 27, 2018 12:53 PM CST
SpongeBob Squarepants Creator Is Dead at 57
Stephen Hillenburg had ALS
- It's a sad day in the fictional world of Bikini Bottom. Stephen Hillenburg, the man who created SpongeBob Squarepants and his undersea pals, has died at age 57, reports
. Hillenburg, who revealed last year that he had ALS, didn't start out as an animator. As the
Tony Nominations Good News
for Tina Fey, Amy Schumer
May 1, 2018 9:15 AM CDT
Tony Nominations Good News for Tina Fey, Amy Schumer
'Mean Girls' adaptation grabs a dozen; Schumer up for best actress
- Tina Fey's musical
, which she adapted from her much-beloved and oft-quoted 2004 high school comedy movie, and the goofy undersea cartoon adaptation
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Broadway Musical
lead the Tony Award nominations with a dozen nods each. A British revival of
Angels in America
, Tony Kushner's...
Mar 14, 2017 2:03 AM CDT
Sad Diagnosis for Creator of SpongeBob
Stephen Hillenburg has ALS
- The man who dreamed up SpongeBob SquarePants announced a tough diagnosis on Monday: Stephen Hillenburg has ALS. The 55-year-old is in the early stages of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, the neurodegenerative disease often referred to as Lou Gehrig's Disease, reports
. "Anyone who knows me knows that I will...
Autistic Teen Saves
Nov 7, 2015 3:38 PM CST
Autistic Teen Saves Choking Classmate
He says he learned the Heimlich maneuver by watching SpongeBob
- An Autistic teenager in New York is being hailed as a hero after saving a classmate who was choking on an apple, the
Staten Island Advance
reports. Brandon Williams, 13, was eating lunch Oct. 28 when he saw Jessica Pellegrino—a fellow special-needs student—struggling to breath. He tells the...
Oct 21, 2013 11:39 AM CDT
SpongeBob Gravestones Spark Feud at Cemetery
$13K headstones erected for slain soldier, sister
- On Valentine's Day, a 28-year-old soldier was found dead in a hotel room; her boyfriend has been charged with murder. Now, as Kimberly Walker's family members grieve, they're also facing a headache: After headstones were installed for Walker and her (living) twin sister, a Cincinnati cemetery has...
Amazon Scores Big
Win Over Netflix
Jun 4, 2013 11:02 AM CDT
Amazon Scores Big Win Over Netflix
Viacom brings content to online retailer
- Last month, with the two companies at odds over renewal terms, Viacom's licensing deal with Netflix ended. Now, Viacom is bringing its shows, from the likes of Nickelodeon, MTV, and Comedy Central, over to Amazon in a multiyear streaming deal , the
Wall Street Journal
reports. (You can see them...
Jul 20, 2012 8:52 AM CDT
Phew! Stewart, SpongeBob Return to DirecTV
Viacom settles dispute with provider
- DirectTV subscribers who want their MTV,
, or comedian Jon Stewart are getting their wish. Viacom and the satellite TV service provider said today that they have settled a dispute that had cut off access to 17 Viacom channels for DirectTV subscribers. Terms of the deal were not disclosed....
Top 10 Newly
May 27, 2012 9:17 AM CDT
Top 10 Newly Discovered Species
Including a mushroom named for SpongeBob
- Roughly 18,000 new species were discovered last year, and scientists at Arizona State University have compiled a list of their 10 favorites. A sample, from the
May 3, 2012 4:35 PM CDT
Ratings Sinking Fast
Which is bad news for Nickelodeon, Viacom
is 13 years old—and it may finally have dried out. The show's ratings plummeted 29% in the first quarter among kids ages 2 to 11, compared to the year before. That's bad news for Nickelodeon as a whole: The show made up 31% of Nick'...
SpongeBob Bad for Kids?
Sorry, Weenie Scientists
Sep 13, 2011 1:59 PM CDT
SpongeBob Bad for Kids? Sorry, Weenie Scientists
He's a great, lovable role model: Mary Elizabeth Wiliams
- A new study suggests SpongeBob is a menace to kids' attention spans, but he won't be disappearing anytime soon from the TV screens in Mary Elizabeth Williams' house. "The study—and the response to it—say much about adult expectations of children," she writes in Salon . Kids...
Sep 12, 2011 8:37 AM CDT
SpongeBob Hurts Kids' Brains
Show weakens their ability to focus, research suggests
- He lives in a pineapple under the sea, and apparently he poses a threat to your kid’s attention span. Researchers showed one group of children a nine-minute
segment; another group watched a clip of the same length of an educational PBS show called
; a third spent...
New Mushroom Species
Named After 'SpongeBob'
Jun 17, 2011 4:25 PM CDT
New Mushroom Species Named After 'SpongeBob'
Gary had no comment
- It wasn't discovered living under a pineapple or even under the sea, but a new mushroom species has been named after SpongeBob SquarePants. The species unearthed last year in Malaysia was dubbed
because of its spongy similarities to the popular cartoon character, reports
. (Click the...
Homer Is Best
TV, Film Character
see top 10 of last 20 years
Jun 1, 2010 7:37 AM CDT
Homer Is Best TV, Film Character
Simpsons dad wins in survey from past 20 years
- The world loves Homer Simpson—even more than Harry Potter. The
patriarch grabbed the top spot in
’s survey of the best TV and film characters of the past two decades, the
New York Post
reports. “People can relate to Homer because we're all secretly...
SpongeBob at 10: Still Fun,
Popular, and Inscrutable
Jul 11, 2009 3:18 PM CDT
SpongeBob at 10: Still Fun, Popular, and Inscrutable
- SpongeBob SquarePants is 10 years old, and the “happy nonsense” of the show is “as popular as ever,” Alessandra Stanley writes in the
. What’s more, the wacky, uncynical cartoon has managed to do it “without having disclosed any higher meaning to Bikini...
SpongeBob, Rap Don't Mix in Ad, Parents Tell Burger King
Apr 14, 2009 2:40 PM CDT
SpongeBob, Rap Don't Mix in Ad, Parents Tell Burger King
Many find mix of SpongeBob Squarepants and 'booty rap' uncomfortable
- Burger King is under fire from parents for a new TV ad in which SpongeBob Squarepants, Sir Mix-A-Lot, and rap music video antics combine for an uncomfortable mix of adult and child entertainment, the
reports. The spot mixes cartoon clips with shots of “the King,” and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
Best TV Shows of All Time
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.