Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Gruden Sues NFL, Accuses
League of 'Malicious' Campaign
Nov 13, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Gruden Sues NFL, Accuses League of 'Malicious' Campaign
Former Raiders coach also names Commissioner Roger Goodell in his complaint
- Jon Gruden resigned last month as the coach of the Las Vegas Raiders after reports emerged about a series of emails in which he was said to have used racist, misogynistic, and homophobic language. Now, Gruden is suing the NFL and its commissioner, Roger Goodell, for leaking those emails to...
Jul 22, 2021 5:09 PM CDT
NFL Threatens Unvaccinated Players With Forfeits
If a COVID-19 outbreak disrupts the schedule, paychecks for game will be canceled
- An effort by Washington last month to persuade its players to be vaccinated against the coronavirus, by having an expert talk to the team, didn't go anywhere with defensive end Montez Sweat. He said afterward that he's "not a fan" of the vaccine,
NFL Fines Washington
$10M for Workplace Abuse
Jul 1, 2021 6:15 PM CDT
NFL Fines Washington $10M for Workplace Abuse
More than 100 female employees told of discrimination and harassment
- After investigating allegations that Washington's football team maintained an abusive workplace, the NFL fined the team $10 million on Thursday. The league said the money will go to organizations "committed to character education, anti-bullying, healthy relationships and related topics," CBS Sports reports. Washington also has to pay...
Says He's Gay
Jun 21, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
First Active NFL Player Says He's Gay
Raiders' Carl Nassib says he's agonized over announcement for years
- For the first time, an active NFL player has announced he's gay. "I just want to take a quick moment to say that I'm gay," Carl Nassib says in a video he posted Monday on Instagram, the
New York Times
reports. "Sadly, I have agonized...
NFL Owners Approve
Mar 30, 2021 6:05 PM CDT
NFL Owners Approve Expanded Season
League aims to have 17-game regular season played in full stadiums
- NFL owners have approved the first expansion of the regular season since it went from 14 games to 16 more than 40 years ago. In a long-expected decision, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced Tuesday that the regular season has now been expanded to 17 games, with three preseason games instead...
NFL Offers Biden All 30
Stadiums for Vaccinations
Feb 5, 2021 4:14 PM CST
NFL Offers Biden All 30 Stadiums for Vaccinations
Many already have been used for coronavirus testing or voting
- The NFL has made the 30 stadiums its teams play in available for use as mass coronavirus vaccination sites. Commissioner Roger Goodell made the offer in a letter to President Biden on Thursday. Several teams already have let their stadiums do double duty during the pandemic, CNBC reports. "We...
7.5K Health Care Workers
Will Attend Super Bowl Free
Jan 22, 2021 2:40 PM CST
7.5K Health Care Workers Will Attend Super Bowl Free
One-third of the 22K fans at the game will be invited as a thank-you
- The NFL plans to admit 22,000 fans to watch the Super Bowl in person next month, roughly one-third of whom will be health care workers. The league announced Friday that 7,500 vaccinated health care workers will be given free tickets to the Feb. 7 championship game in Tampa...
Baseball Outbreak Is
Jul 28, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
Baseball Outbreak Is 'Off-the-Charts Bad'
Expert says he'd urge shutting Marlins down for two weeks
- A consensus has emerged since the coronavirus outbreak on the Miami Marlins that caused four MLB teams to sit out Monday. "This is bad, really bad, and it will get worse," Tim Brown writes on Yahoo Sports . "My level of concern went from an 8 to a...
Jul 3, 2020 1:02 PM CDT
NFL Team Takes Step Toward New Name
Owner has said it would never happen, but brands have told Washington to make a change
- After decades of saying they'll never change a team name considered by many to be a slur against Native Americans, the Washington Redskins announced Friday they'll reconsider. People familiar with the team's talks with NFL officials, including Commissioner Roger Goodell, said a process is being set up...
Goodell Finally Brings Up
the Elephant in the Room
Jun 16, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
Goodell Finally Brings Up the Elephant in the Room
NFL commissioner says 'I welcome' a team signing Colin Kaepernick
- Some people weren't thrilled that Roger Goodell's recent statement condemning racism and police brutality never brought up Colin Kaepernick, the quarterback who started that conversation in the NFL by kneeling as the national anthem played before games. Finally, Goodell is directly addressing the man whose name he neglected...
NFL to Speak
Up. They Got
Jun 6, 2020 6:00 AM CDT
Players Asked NFL to Speak Up. They Got Their Wish
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell condemns racism, police brutality—but no mention of Kap
- The ripple effects of the protests for George Floyd have made their way to the NFL. On Thursday, a roster of top players, including the Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes and the Texans' Deshaun Watson, made a short video imploring the league to speak up on racism and police brutality. On Friday,...
Reaction to Goodell's
Take on George
Jun 1, 2020 9:04 AM CDT
Reaction to Goodell's Take on George Floyd: 'Save the Bulls---'
Considering what happened with Colin Kaepernick, people aren't having commissioner's statement
- The NFL commissioner vowed over the weekend to work on the "systemic issues" driving people to demonstrate over George Floyd's death and that of other black Americans, but it didn't go over too well. In a statement posted Saturday, Roger Goodell offered his condolences to the Floyd...
While We Wait,
NFL Renews Madden
May 28, 2020 7:15 PM CDT
While We Wait, NFL Renews Madden
Electronics Arts keeps exclusive franchise till 2026
- There will not be competition in the field of simulation football video games for at least a few more years. The NFL, which is shut down during the pandemic, announced Thursday that it has extended its exclusive licensing agreement with Electronic Arts for the Madden NFL franchise. The Players Association...
Report: NFL Chief Has
Reduced Salary to $0
Apr 30, 2020 12:10 AM CDT
Report: NFL Chief Has Reduced Salary to $0
League is cutting pay, furloughing workers
- Commissioner Roger Goodell has reduced his salary to $0 and other NFL employees will be taking pay cuts or furloughs due to the coronavirus pandemic. Goodell, who makes upward of $30 million a year from salaries and bonuses, voluntarily had his salary reduced this month, a person familiar with the...
Joe Burrow Was First
Pick in Unusual NFL Draft
Apr 24, 2020 3:20 AM CDT
Joe Burrow Was First Pick in Unusual NFL Draft
Virtual event had relatively few glitches
- The Cincinnati Bengals selected Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Joe Burrow of LSU with the first pick in an unprecedented virtual NFL draft . The biggest drama on this night wasn’t who was going to be the No. 1 pick—Burrow sewed that up a long time ago—or how the top...
Colin Kaepernick's Lawyers
Seeking to Subpoena Trump
Jun 7, 2018 5:52 PM CDT
Colin Kaepernick's Lawyers Seeking to Subpoena Trump
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and several owners have already been deposed in the case
- Colin Kaepernick’s collusion case against the NFL is expected to reach all the way to the White House as the quarterback and his lawyers prepare to seek federal subpoenas to compel the testimony of President Trump, Vice President Mike Pence, and others, according to Yahoo Sports . Kaepernick filed a...
NFL Won't Punish Players
for Anthem Protests
Oct 18, 2017 5:20 AM CDT
NFL Won't Punish Players for Anthem Protests
League meeting fails to end controversy
- The NFL says it is not going to punish players who stand or kneel when the anthem is played before games—but a meeting between officials, players, and owners in New York City Tuesday failed to resolve the controversy. The meeting at the league's headquarters lasted several hours and...
Roger Goodell's Wife
Admits to 'Silly' Thing
She Did Online
Oct 13, 2017 8:54 AM CDT
Roger Goodell's Wife Admits to 'Silly' Thing She Did Online
NFL commish's spouse confesses she was behind mystery account defending him on Twitter
- For better for worse, for richer or poorer, through the good tweets and the bad. It's not clear if that last part was included in Roger Goodell's wedding vows, but the NFL commissioner's wife, Jane Skinner Goodell, admitted Thursday to what Deadspin calls a "ride-or-die" move...
'Starting to Make
Oct 12, 2017 8:21 AM CDT
Limbaugh: Trump's NFL Remarks 'Starting to Make Me Nervous'
Conservative talk-show host says he's 'very uncomfortable' with how president is acting
- For the past few weeks, President Trump has been firing off tweets pressuring NFL athletes to stand during the national anthem—and for the NFL to make them do so —with his most recent post Wednesday claiming ( falsely ) that Commissioner Roger Goodell was "finally demanding" all...
As Trump's Attacks Persist,
NFL Owners May Soon Give In
Oct 10, 2017 3:35 PM CDT
As Trump's Attacks Persist, NFL Owners May Soon Give In
Owners meeting next week could require players to stand for anthem
- No NFL player who has used the national anthem to protest against racism and police brutality has faced punishment from the league. That could be about to change. The
Wall Street Journal
reports NFL owners are scheduled to meet next week, and league spokesperson Joe Lockhart expects player protests "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Planes Flew in From South Africa. 61 People Had COVID
California Demographics Shift, Thanks to 'Inland Empire'
Salvation Army Racism Guide Angers Some Conservatives
New Variant Found in More Countries
Food Prices May Spike Again, Thanks to a New Shortage
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.