Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Top 10 Baby Names
Inspired by Sports Stars
Aug 14, 2022 1:50 PM CDT
Top 10 Baby Names Inspired by Sports Stars
Kobe tops the most recent list
- Teachers will be calling on a lot more Kobes in about five years. As KTLA reports, the name "Kobe" tops the list of baby names presumably inspired by sports stars between 2000 and 2021. The list, compiled by Betsperts , found that more than 17,000 infants born in the...
Mar 4, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Another GOP Governor Targets Transgender Athletes
Iowa's Kim Reynolds bars them from girls sports as a 'fairness issue'; LGBTQ activists push back
- Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds calls new legislation she signed Thursday that bars transgender athletes from taking part in girls and women's sports a "fairness issue"—an assertion that LGBTQ advocates disagree with, and one that legal experts say will likely end up in court. House File 2416...
Concern on Stadiums:
'There Will Be Many
Infected People There'
Sep 11, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Concern on Stadiums: 'There Will Be Many Infected People There'
Health experts worry that college and pro football arenas offer prime conditions for further spread
- Health experts say this fall's crowded college and professional football stadiums could create ripe conditions for COVID-19 to spread among unvaccinated fans. Many football stadiums—most of which hold from 65,000 to 100,000 fans—aren't requiring fans to wear masks or be vaccinated. The chances of...
Returns to Boos
Sep 2, 2021 12:39 PM CDT
Tennis Star Takes Another Long Break, Returns to Boos
Another of Stefanos Tsitsipas' opponents calls for rule change
- Stefanos Tsitsipas is sticking to his lengthy bathroom breaks, despite Andy Murray's fury . The Greek tennis star defeated France's Adrian Mannarino in four sets to reach the third round of the US Open on Wednesday, but only after leaving the court for more than seven minutes and returning...
Aug 31, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
Andy Murray Seething Over Foe's Bathroom Break
He accuses Stefanos Tsitsipas of abusing breaks after US Open loss
- Three-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray is calling for a change to tennis rules following his first-round loss at the US Open on Monday, which he blamed on his opponent's strategic breaks. Greece's Stefanos Tsitsipas was down two sets to one when he took "an opportune medical...
High Jumpers' Unusual
Request Is an Olympic Hit
Aug 2, 2021 1:12 PM CDT
High Jumpers' Unusual Request Is an Olympic Hit
Competitors from Qatar and Italy decide to share gold medal rather than go to a jump-off
- It’s the ultimate moment in game recognizing game. Mutaz Barshim of Qatar had been competing against, and making friends with, Italy’s Gianmarco Tamberi for years. Both had suffered ankle injuries that took a season away from them. Tamberi was in Barshim’s wedding, the
League Said She Was Too
Young to Go Pro. Judge: Nope
in case you missed it
May 29, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
League Said She Was Too Young to Go Pro. Judge: Nope
National Women's Soccer League can now sign Olivia Moultrie, 15
- A federal judge has overruled the National Women's Soccer League, at least temporarily, finding its rule barring players under 18 is a form of gender discrimination. Olivia Moultrie—a 15-year-old who debuted with the Portland Thorns' under-19 team at age 14 and signed a nine-year endorsement deal with Nike...
Top-Earning Athlete Made Most
of His $180M From Whiskey
May 12, 2021 6:02 PM CDT
Top-Earning Athlete Made Most of His $180M From Whiskey
Conor McGregor tops list for a second time
- The world's highest-paid athlete spent less than eight minutes competing in his sport in the last 12 months—but still took home $180 million. UFC star Conor McGregor, who lost his January fight against Dustin Poirier at 2:32 in the second round, tops this year's
'Super League' Craters
Apr 21, 2021 8:15 AM CDT
Europe's Days-Old 'Super League' Craters
Backlash was almost universal; teams withdraw en masse
- It was announced Sunday that a lavishly-funded soccer league made up of major, celebrated teams from across Europe was about to launch. Days later, the European Super League looks to be crumbling in front of team supporters' thankful eyes. After all, "many called it the death of soccer,"...
Fix' on Transgender
Mar 30, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
SD Governor Issues 'Temporary Fix' on Transgender Sports Issue
Kristi Noem signs 2 executive orders banning transgender girls playing at high school, college levels
- South Dakota's governor rolled out a "temporary fix" to what she deems unfairness in sports Monday night, issuing two executive orders that ban transgender girls and women from playing in sports designated for girls. Per the
, Kristi Noem had at first vetoed a measure that would'...
Skater Who Said
He Was Abused to
Walk With $1.45M
Jan 15, 2021 10:23 AM CST
Skater Who Said He Was Abused to Walk With $1.45M
US Figure Skating settles with Adam Schmidt
- The start of the US Figure Skating Championships was overshadowed Thursday by news that the organization had agreed to pay $1.45 million to a former skater who claimed he was sexually abused by a coach. Adam Schmidt, 36, sued US Figure Skating in 2019, claiming he suffered "numerous...
You'll Need to
May 29, 2020 10:02 AM CDT
Switzerland to Sex Workers: You'll Need to Social Distance
Nation gives OK to prostitutes but still prohibits judo, boxing, wrestling, ballroom dancing
- If you're a sex worker in Switzerland, you'll soon be back in business. If you're a judo, ballroom dancing, or boxing aficionado, you're going to have to wait a little longer. Bloomberg reports that the country's legal prostitution industry will be permitted to reopen on...
'Do It! Do It!'
May 24, 2020 12:15 PM CDT
Gov. Cuomo Has Message for Leagues: 'Do It! Do It!'
New York's governor says teams can begin their late spring training
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says teams in his state can return to their facilities for training after a pause of more than two months, the AP reports. "Starting today, all the New York professional sports leagues will be able to begin training camps," the Democratic governor said...
League: Soccer Team Didn't
Use 'Common Sense' With Dolls
May 21, 2020 8:25 AM CDT
League: Soccer Team Didn't Use 'Common Sense' With Dolls
FC Seoul didn't intentionally order sex dolls, but should have figured it out, says K-League
- A professional soccer team in South Korea has received a record fine after using sex dolls to fill stadium seats . Since the K-League resumed games in empty stadiums earlier this month, teams have been recreating the atmosphere with crowd noises and cardboard cutouts of people. FC Seoul went a different...
Soccer Is Back Here, but
'Without Fans Is Nothing'
May 16, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Soccer Is Back Here, but 'Without Fans Is Nothing'
Professional soccer is starting up again in Germany, but the stadiums are empty
- Professional soccer resumed in Germany after a two-month break, with four games in the second division on Saturday taking place behind closed doors. The games were the first since soccer was put on hold March 13 due to the coronavirus pandemic, and they were played in empty stadiums amid strict...
For Years, This Was One of
Modern Sports' Biggest Secrets
in case you missed it
May 3, 2020 1:25 PM CDT
For Years, This Was One of Modern Sports' Biggest Secrets
Drag racing legend Bob Muravez raced under a fake name for years, with help from reporters
- In certain circles, 82-year-old Bob Muravez is a legend. The Californian won more than 600 sanctioned drag-racing events in the 1960s and 1970s and became one of his sport's biggest names. But as a story at SB Nation explains, when Muravez is asked for an autograph these days, he...
We May Soon
See an NBA
Apr 6, 2020 7:31 AM CDT
Despite Virus, We May Soon See an NBA Face-Off
ESPN report says 'high-profile players' may soon take part in game of 'horse' from home gyms
- Who says athletes can't play basketball while self-isolating during the coronavirus pandemic? Although it's almost certain we're not going to be seeing NBA games for the rest of this season—or games out of most professional sports anytime soon, despite President Trump's Saturday conference call with...
We'll Remember This
Mar 27, 2020 2:48 PM CDT
Dear Stingy Sports Owners, We'll Remember This
Nancy Amour for USA Today says those who don't pay workers shouldn't expect tax breaks
- Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs is getting slammed for cutting salaries or laying off workers altogether during the coronavirus pandemic. Tilman Fertitta, who owns the Houston Rockets—as well as Landry's, the parent company over hundreds of restaurants, hotels, and casinos—is likewise drawing criticism after laying off 40,...
Vegas, Dead? Not if
Little Darlings Has a Say
Mar 19, 2020 2:29 PM CDT
Vegas, Dead? Not if Little Darlings Has a Say
And online bettors try to survive as sports gambling dies off
- Want to place a bet on tomorrow's weather in Indianapolis? How about Paris or Toronto? Well, BetOnline.ag is ready to give you odds. With most major US sports leagues shut down, online bettors are getting creative—and, let's face it, desperate—enough to take bets on the...
Top Female Runners
Fight a New Battle
Sep 28, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
Top Female Runners Fight a New Battle
Allyson Felix is among those fighting the loss of corporate sponsorships over pregnancy
- For decades, the message to women in track and field was crystal clear: get pregnant, lose sponsorship money. A rebellion led by some of the sport's top runners, Allyson Felix, Kara Goucher and Alysia Montano, is helping to change that, the AP reports. Two months after the US women'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.