Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mormon Church Makes 'Unexpected'
Move on Gay Marriage
Nov 16, 2022 8:40 AM CST
Mormon Church Makes 'Unexpected' Move on Gay Marriage
Church will get behind legislation on same-sex marriage, as long as religious rights are protected
- Federal legislation designed to protect gay marriage rights has a somewhat surprising new supporter: the Mormon church. On Tuesday, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said it will get behind the bipartisan Respect for Marriage Act , after senators worked out an amendment that would protect how religious groups...
Billionaire Leaves Mormon
Church Over LGBTQ+ Stance
in case you missed it
Dec 26, 2021 4:16 PM CST
Billionaire Leaves Mormon Church Over LGBTQ+ Stance
Jeff T. Green issues public rebuke
- In what is being referred to as an unusual move, a high-profile member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is leaving—and making it publicly known that he's doing so because of the church's stance on certain issues. "I believe the Mormon Church has...
Mar 24, 2021 7:28 AM CDT
Huntsman's Brother Sues Mormon Church for Fraud
James Huntsman wants $5M in donations returned
- The son of a billionaire industrialist and brother of a former Utah governor and US ambassador is suing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for fraud. James Huntsman, brother of Jon Huntsman , claims the Mormon church spent members' tithes on commercial purposes, rather than charity. This allegation was...
Young Mormon Missionary
Dies on Swiss Hike
Oct 16, 2020 10:38 AM CDT
Young Mormon Missionary Dies on Swiss Hike
Annabelle Nielsen of Utah, 20, fell down a steep incline
- A 20-year-old Utah woman has died in a hiking accident in Switzerland, where she was serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Annabelle Nielsen was hiking with five other missionaries when she slipped and fell down a steep incline, a rep for the Mormon...
Throng Welcomes Missionaries
at Airport, Angering Officials
Mar 23, 2020 7:00 PM CDT
Throng Welcomes Missionaries at Airport, Angering Officials
Hundreds gathered to meet family members returning because of pandemic
- Hundreds of people gathered in an airport parking garage on Sunday to welcome 1,500 missionaries home from the Philippines, often with hugs. Sen. Mitt Romney, Utah Gov. Gary Herbert, Salt Lake International Airport and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have asked that they not do it...
Wife Sues Church for Reporting
Hubby's Child Sex Abuse
Jan 9, 2020 9:15 AM CST
Wife Sues Church for Reporting Hubby's Child Sex Abuse
Oregon suit claims 'priest-penitent privilege' was violated in case of Timothy Johnson
- Various lawsuits have accused clergy members of seeing sex abuse as more of a sin than a crime. A new one, however, claims quite the opposite. An Oregon woman is suing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for $9.5 million, arguing church leaders violated "priest-penitent privilege"...
Is Hoarding $100B
Dec 17, 2019 7:40 AM CST
Whistleblower: Mormon Church Is Hoarding $100B
He says investment division should be stripped of tax-exempt status
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has been hoarding cash that its members thought would be used for charitable purposes, according to a whistleblower who worked at the church's investment division. David Neilsen, a former senior portfolio manager at Ensign Peak Advisors, alleges in a complaint to...
Not Happy Utah
Plans to Ban
Oct 16, 2019 11:17 AM CDT
Mormon Church Not Happy Utah Plans to Ban Conversion Therapy
LDS church wants pending state regulation on minors amended
- A state regulation is pending in Utah that would prohibit psychologists from using gay conversion therapy on minors—and on Tuesday night, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a statement announcing its opposition to the ban. "We teach the right of individuals to self-determination and the...
Dad of Elizabeth Smart:
I'm Gay, Getting Divorced
Aug 16, 2019 9:12 AM CDT
Dad of Elizabeth Smart: I'm Gay, Getting Divorced
Ed Smart also says he's not finding 'solace' anymore in LDS church
- Ed Smart, father of kidnapping survivor Elizabeth Smart , posted a letter on Facebook Thursday that held some stunning revelations: He's gay, divorcing Elizabeth's mother, and "doesn't see a place for himself in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," per the
Warren Jeffs' Son, Who Said
Dad Abused Him, Dead at 26
Jun 4, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
Warren Jeffs' Son, Who Said Dad Abused Him, Dead at 26
Roy Jeffs is said to have taken his own life
- A son of Warren Jeffs who was one of the first to say the polygamist had sexually abused his own children has died. The
Salt Lake City Tribune
reports that Roy Jeffs, 26, was found dead at his Salt Lake City home on Friday. He would have turned 27 on...
Apr 29, 2019 6:41 AM CDT
BYU Valedictorian Comes Out During Speech
'I'm proud to be a gay son of God,' he says
- There were cheers and whoops from the crowd at Brigham Young University's commencement ceremony Friday as political science valedictorian Matt Easton came out as gay during his speech. After congratulating his classmates at the Mormon university, Easton said: "I stand before my family, friends, and graduating class today...
LDS Church Makes
on LGBT Issues
Apr 4, 2019 2:47 PM CDT
LDS Church Makes 'Surprise' Change on LGBT Issues
Mormon children of LGBT parents can be blessed, baptized
- Children of LGBT parents may now be blessed as infants and then, later, baptized as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The church announced that and other changes Thursday to controversial church policies that were enacted in 2015, the
reports. Church leaders said at...
Mormon Missionaries Now
Get More Than 2 Calls a Year
Feb 17, 2019 6:39 AM CST
Mormon Missionaries Now Get More Than 2 Calls a Year
They had previously been allowed to phone home on Christmas and Mother's Day
- Parents of Mormon missionaries will be able to hear their children's voices a lot more often under new rules announced Friday that allow the proselytizing youngsters to call home every week instead of only twice a year. The move is aimed at encouraging families to be more involved in...
Dec 13, 2018 8:56 AM CST
LDS Church Supporters Cry 'Blasphemy' Over
Promo looks strikingly like painting of Jesus commissioned by the church
Once Upon a Deadpool
opened nationwide Wednesday, and while it's earning tepid reviews , its promo poster is drawing more heated reaction. Who's hot about it: supporters of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which boasts a painting that looks to be the inspiration for the
Church President: Calling Us
Mormon a 'Victory for Satan'
Oct 7, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Church President: Calling Us Mormon a 'Victory for Satan'
Russell M. Nelson is fighting a battle against the M word
- The president of the Mormon church wants members, the media and others to use the faith's full name , saying nicknames are "a major victory for Satan." Addressing The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' twice-yearly conference Sunday in Salt Lake City, Russell M. Nelson says the...
David Cross Will Perform at
Utah School Despite Row
Aug 20, 2018 3:45 PM CDT
David Cross Will Perform at Utah School Despite Row
The comedian tweeted what appeared to be a joke about holy undergarments
- The University of Utah says a tweet from comedian David Cross showing him wearing undergarments sacred to the Mormon faith was "deeply offensive" but the college won't consider calls for the cancellation of his performance on campus Wednesday. College president Ruth Watkins criticized the tweet in a statement...
Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter-Day Saints:
Don't Call Us Mormons
Aug 17, 2018 6:31 AM CDT
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints: Don't Call Us Mormons
'LDS Church' is also now frowned upon
- "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Tabernacle Choir" isn't a name that exactly rolls off the tongue, but the Mormon Tabernacle Choir might have to adopt it. Russell T. Nelson, the church's president, announced Thursday that it is launching a major campaign to have the...
After More Than a Century,
Mormons Dump Boy Scouts
May 9, 2018 8:10 AM CDT
After More Than a Century, Mormons Dump Boy Scouts
The complete severing will come at the end of 2019
- The Mormon church said Tuesday it will sever all ties with the Boy Scouts of America at the end of 2019 and place its remaining 425,000 boys into a gospel-focused youth program it's developing. The move ends what
calls a "long, symbiotic relationship," one...
Mormons Make History
With New Apostles
Mar 31, 2018 2:07 PM CDT
Mormons Make History With New Apostles
Brazilian, Chinese-American choices add diversity
- The Mormon church made history and injected diversity into a top leadership panel on Saturday by selecting the first-ever Latin-American apostle and the first-ever apostle of Asian ancestry, the AP reports. The selections of Ulisses Soares of Brazil and Gerrit W. Gong, a Chinese-American, were announced at the start of...
Mormons Pick Former
Surgeon, 93, as New Leader
Jan 16, 2018 1:15 PM CST
Mormons Pick Former Surgeon, 93, as New Leader
Russell Nelson is appointed to top post in church
- The Mormon church appointed a 93-year-old former heart surgeon Tuesday as its new president, following a longstanding succession plan that aims to keep the faith on course with a minimum of upheaval. The selection of Russell M. Nelson was announced by high-ranking Mormon D. Todd Christofferson during an address broadcast...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.