Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge Calls Capitol Rioter's
Nov 22, 2023 8:35 AM CST
Judge Calls Capitol Rioter's Defense 'Gobbledygook,' Jury Convicts
Washington state's Taylor James Johnatakis, 39, found guilty of 3 felonies, 4 misdemeanors
- Those who traveled to Washington, DC, to participate in what became the Jan. 6 riot at the US Capitol arrived from all over the country. On Tuesday, Washington state saw one of its own earn a conviction, with a federal jury finding 39-year-old Taylor James Johnatakis of Kingston guilty of...
Jan. 6 Footage
Nov 18, 2023 9:30 AM CST
House Speaker Starts Releasing Jan. 6 Footage
Mike Johnson says he'll eventually post 44K hours' worth of video from the attack on US Capitol
- House Speaker Mike Johnson said Friday he plans to publicly release thousands of hours of footage from the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, making good on a promise he made to far-right members of his party when he was campaigning for the job. "This decision will...
Army Aims to Rectify 'Largest
Mass Execution' in Its History
Nov 14, 2023 10:55 AM CST
Army Aims to Rectify 'Largest Mass Execution' in Its History
More than a century later, soldier convictions related to the 1917 Houston riots are overturned
- It was, as the
reports, "the largest mass execution carried out in the history of the US Army." On Dec. 11, 1917, 13 Buffalo Soldiers were hanged in a military camp near Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas. The African American cavalry soldiers of the...
Man Gets Stiff Sentence in
Brazil's First Jan. 8 Riot Trial
Sep 15, 2023 5:11 AM CDT
Man Gets Stiff Sentence in Brazil's First Jan. 8 Riot Trial
Case was heard in Supreme Court building trashed by rioters
- A man who stormed government buildings with a mob that claimed a presidential election was rigged received a stiff prison sentence Monday—and it wasn't in Washington, DC. Aecio Pereira, 51, was sentenced to 17 years for his role in the Jan. 8, 2023 riot in Brazil's capital,...
With Inciting a Riot
Aug 5, 2023 5:30 PM CDT
Influencer Charged With Inciting a Riot
New York police say crowd at promised giveaway went from 300 to thousands in minutes
- A social media influencer has been charged with inciting a riot after a crowd drawn by his promise of free electronics turned violent in New York City's Union Square, resulting in dozens of arrests and injuries. Kai Cenat was taken out of the park by police, arrested, and charged...
45K Cops, 1.3K Arrests
Amid 4th Night of Violence
Jul 1, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
45K Cops, 1.3K Arrests Amid 4th Night of Violence
Rioting in France spurred by fatal police shooting of 17-year-old in the Paris suburb of Nanterre
- Rioting raged in cities around France for a fourth night despite a huge police deployment and 1,311 arrests, with cars and buildings set ablaze and stores looted, as family and friends prepared Saturday to bury the 17-year-old whose killing by police unleashed the unrest. France's Interior Ministry announced...
if Trump Is
Aug 29, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Graham Makes Dire Prediction if Trump Is Prosecuted
He predicts 'riots in the streets' if it happens
- Lindsey Graham delivered an ominous warning Sunday about a potential prosecution of Donald Trump—he predicted "riots in the streets" if it happens, reports the Hill . What's more, he made the prediction twice. It caught the attention of Trump himself, who posted a video clip of Graham's...
Island Shuts Schools Amid
'Very Explosive' COVID Riots
Nov 22, 2021 12:34 PM CST
Island Shuts Schools Amid 'Very Explosive' COVID Riots
French territory of Guadeloupe trashed during days of protests turned violent
- Schools closed across the French Caribbean territory of Guadeloupe on Monday, and France's president warned of a "very explosive" situation in the island territory, after protests against COVID-19 rules and vaccinations descended into days of rioting and looting. France's central government sent in police special forces to...
Mom Throws Child From
Burning Building During
South Africa Riot
Jul 13, 2021 6:38 PM CDT
Mom Throws Child From Burning Building During South Africa Riot
Death toll hits 72 in some of the worst violence since the end of apartheid
- Days after Jacob Zuma turned himself in to start serving a 15-year-sentence, South Africa is being shaken by some of the worst violence since the end of apartheid. At least 72 people have been killed in rioting in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal provinces, many of them trampled in stampedes during looting,...
DeSantis: Nothing Close to as
Tough as New 'Anti-Riot' Law
Apr 19, 2021 4:25 PM CDT
DeSantis: Nothing Close to as Tough as New 'Anti-Riot' Law
It includes stricter punishments, and protections for drivers who hit protesters
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a controversial anti-riot bill Monday that will more strictly punish people who take part in protests that turn violent. The timing coincides with the wrapping up of Derek Chauvin's trial in the death of George Floyd, and DeSantis referenced that case, saying the Minnesota...
Fatally Shoot Man,
a Nighttime 'Riot'
Apr 17, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
After Police Fatally Shoot Man, a Nighttime 'Riot' in Portland
Authorities say Ore. protesters smashed windows, stole from businesses after officer-involved shooting
- Police in Portland, Ore., declared a riot Friday night after authorities say protesters smashed windows and burglarized businesses during demonstrations that started earlier in the day after police fatally shot a man while responding to reports of a person with a gun. The vandalism downtown came after the Friday morning...
Apr 4, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
Unrest Flares in Northern Ireland
Police say petrol bombs were thrown at officers
- Police in Northern Ireland have appealed for calm after officers were attacked with petrol bombs and cars were set on fire during a second night of unrest. Three cars were hijacked and set on fire Saturday night in Newtownabbey, an area on the outskirts of Belfast, police said. North Area...
3 Nights of Curfew, and
the Riots Are Getting Worse
Jan 26, 2021 10:00 AM CST
3 Nights of Curfew, and the Riots Are Getting Worse
Netherlands police stretched thin as authorities blame violent people for hijacking protests
- The Netherlands put a coronavirus curfew into effect on Saturday, and police have had their hands full with rioters for three consecutive nights now, reports the
. Nearly 200 were arrested in cities large and small Monday night, though authorities say the demonstrations have become more about young people causing...
New Video Shows Inside
Look at Siege of Capitol
Jan 18, 2021 10:35 AM CST
New Video Shows Inside Look at Siege of Capitol
'New Yorker' contributor Luke Mogelson filmed with his phone
- Luke Mogelson is a war correspondent who has written dispatches from Afghanistan and Syria. But his latest hits much closer to home. Mogelson entered the US Capitol (as a journalist) when rioters took it by storm on Jan. 6. He wrote a first-person account for the
, and the...
Dem Lawmaker Claims
Capitol Raid Was an Inside Job
Jan 13, 2021 8:03 AM CST
Dem Lawmaker Claims Capitol Raid Was an Inside Job
Mikie Sherrill says she saw lawmakers leading people through Capitol on 'reconnaissance' mission
- Rep. Mikie Sherrill is claiming that members of Congress led people through the Capitol on a "reconnaissance" mission a day before last week's riot. Sherrill, a New Jersey Democrat, took to Facebook Live on Tuesday to explain why she voted in favor of a resolution asking Vice President...
Let Rioters Into
Faces the Music
Jan 12, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Lawmaker Who Let Rioters Into State Capitol Faces the Music
Oregon Rep. Mike Nearman was seen letting in demonstrators during special legislative session
- Another lawmaker is facing heat for a Capitol breach, this time in the Pacific Northwest. When far-right protesters descended on the Oregon Capitol on Dec. 21 during a special legislative session, surveillance video (available here via the
) showed GOP Rep. Mike Nearman exiting through a side door, and...
In Month Before Riot, One
Ominous Phrase Dominated
Jan 10, 2021 9:30 AM CST
In Month Before Riot, One Ominous Phrase Dominated
'Storm the Capitol' was mentioned 100K times online
- Many big outlets are taking deeper looks into the violence that wracked Washington. Some of the highlights:
New York Times
reports that the phrase "Storm the Capitol" was mentioned 100,000 times in various online forums in the month preceding Jan. 6, according to media firm Zignal Labs.
Lucy Lawless Slams 'Hercules'
for Antifa Conspiracy Theory
Jan 8, 2021 2:38 PM CST
Lucy Lawless Slams 'Hercules' for Antifa Conspiracy Theory
'Xena' had some words for Kevin Sorbo on Twitter regarding the Capitol Hill riot
- Xena the Warrior Princess doesn't mess around in battle, even on Twitter. That's where Lucy Lawless, the actor who played the ancient Greek fighter in the '90s TV series, ended up on Thursday, embroiled in what Fox News calls a "clash of superheroes" over a conspiracy...
Troubling Details Emerge
in Death of Capitol Officer
Jan 8, 2021 9:59 AM CST
Troubling Details Emerge in Death of Capitol Officer
'New York Times' reports Brian Sicknick was assaulted with a fire extinguisher
- The inquiry into the death of Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick is now a federal murder investigation, reports CNN . The exact circumstances surrounding his death are still being fleshed out, though some disturbing details have emerged. Coverage:
In a news release , the Capitol Police says Sicknick was injured "while
A 'Day of Reckoning'
for Social Media
Jan 7, 2021 11:05 AM CST
A 'Day of Reckoning' for Social Media
Trump banned from FB, IG 'indefinitely,' while social media sees a 'reckoning' in general after DC riots
- On Wednesday, Twitter and Facebook locked down President Trump's social media accounts after inflammatory posts he made during a day marked by chaos and violence on Capitol Hill. On Thursday, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg took things further. "The shocking events of the last 24 hours clearly demonstrate that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.