Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
NBA Star Defends Assault:
'This Ain't No Hate Crime'
Jun 1, 2020 12:03 AM CDT
NBA Star Defends Assault: 'This Ain't No Hate Crime'
JR Smith is caught on video attacking an alleged rioter
- An NBA star was caught on video beating up a guy who allegedly broke his car window amid LA's "I Can't Breathe" protests, TMZ reports. JR Smith can be seen kicking and punching the white male, who lies defenseless on a residential street. "Can we have...
Here's the Curfew Situation
May 31, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Here's the Curfew Situation
Curfews are extended in cities across the country
- Cities are reimposing curfews as they prepare for another round of "I Can't Breathe" protests, NBC News reports. CNN notes that over 20 cities have established curfews and roughly 5,000 National Guard members have been activated in 15 states and Washington, DC. Texas and Virginia have also...
Guy Attacks 'Looters'
With a Sword. It Ends Badly
May 31, 2020 2:15 PM CDT
Guy Attacks 'Looters' With a Sword. It Ends Badly
Other Saturday incidents include a cop restraining a protester with a knee on his neck
- A man who went after Dallas protesters with a sword Saturday is now hospitalized in stable condition after a vicious beating—and the whole thing is caught on video, CBS Dallas Fort-Worth reports. In the tweeted video (WARNING: violence) he can be seen screaming and chasing protesters away. But only...
Mayor to Protesters:
'Get a COVID Test'
May 31, 2020 12:44 PM CDT
Mayor to Protesters: 'Get a COVID Test'
Health experts fear silent carriers of virus who are packed 'cheek to jowl'
- The mayor of Atlanta, one of dozens of US cities hit by massive protests, has a message for demonstrators: "If you were out protesting last night, you probably need to go get a COVID test this week." As more beaches, churches, mosques, schools, and businesses reopened worldwide, civil...
How Both Sides See
the Floyd Protests
May 31, 2020 12:05 PM CDT
How Both Sides See the Floyd Protests
Abdul-Jabbar says black people already live 'in a burning building'
- Did you see George Floyd's death on TV and mutter "Oh, my God" in horror? To Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, that sounds pretty white. But "if you're black, you probably leapt to your feet, cursed, maybe threw something (certainly wanted wanted to throw something), while shouting, 'Not...
New Delhi Burns Amid
Worst Riots in Decades
Feb 26, 2020 4:58 AM CST
New Delhi Burns Amid Worst Riots in Decades
At least 20 killed as Hindus, Muslims clash
- At least 20 people in New Delhi, including one police officer, have been killed in three days of clashes between Hindus and Muslims coinciding with President Trump's visit to India. Authorities say nearly 200 people have been injured and the death toll is expected to rise as hospitals continue...
Cops Arrest 13, Seize
Weapons at Portland Rally
Aug 17, 2019 5:30 PM CDT
Cops Arrest 13, Seize Weapons at Portland Rally
Far-right protesters and anti-fascists swarmed the city
- Police arrested at least 13 people and seized metal poles, bear spray, and other weapons Saturday as hundreds of far-right protesters and anti-fascist counter-demonstrators swarmed downtown Portland, Oregon, the AP reports. Authorities closed bridges and streets to try to keep the rival groups apart. The city's mayor said the...
57-Year-Old Woman Charged in
Shooting Death of Journalist
Apr 23, 2019 8:01 AM CDT
57-Year-Old Woman Charged in Shooting Death of Journalist
New IRA takes blame for murder of Lyra McKee in Northern Ireland
- A 57-year-old woman has been arrested in the shooting death last week in Northern Ireland of journalist Lyra McKee . Although initially two teens were detained in connection with the killing of the 29-year-old, who died Thursday night during rioting in Londonderry (aka Derry), they were later released without being charged,...
Bolts for Doors Amid Chaos
Feb 16, 2019 11:11 AM CST
Audience Bolts for Doors Amid Chaos
An audience member's heart attack set things in motion
audience in San Francisco ran for the doors Friday night and injured three people after a woman attending the show had a heart attack,
reports. Seems someone pulled a defibrillator from a wall at the Orpheum Theatre, which triggered a fire alarm and caused what the San...
Snow Day at WVU
Turns Into Violent 'Riot'
Feb 2, 2019 9:00 AM CST
Snow Day at WVU Turns Into Violent 'Riot'
Police say crowd of hundreds attacked cops, city workers trying to clear snow
- A snow day for West Virginia University went bad after police say a crowd of hundreds attacked city workers trying to clear the streets of snow, as well as the cops who then came to break things up. Per CBS News , WVU officials say a large group gathered outside in...
France Said It Wouldn't
Budge on Fuel Tax.
It Just Did
Dec 4, 2018 6:01 AM CST
France Said It Wouldn't Budge on Fuel Tax. It Just Did
Tax hikes have been suspended for several months after violent protests, per PM
- French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe announced a suspension of fuel tax hikes Tuesday, a major U-turn in an effort to appease a protest movement that radicalized and plunged Paris into chaos last weekend, French media report. Both
newspaper and France Info radio said the planned increase, which has...
After Worst Unrest
in 50 Years
Dec 3, 2018 7:17 AM CST
France Holds Emergency Meetings After Worst Unrest in 50 Years
'Yellow jacket' protest started after fuel tax hike
- What started with a protest against rising fuel taxes has become the most sustained unrest the country has dealt with since the Paris uprising in May 1968—and authorities have decided to talk to the protesters instead of declaring a state of emergency. President Emanuel Macron instructed Prime Minister É...
White Supremacist Nabbed
After Reaching Central America
Oct 25, 2018 8:17 AM CDT
White Supremacist Nabbed After Reaching Central America
Rise Above Movement leader Robert Rundo was 'brought back' to US
- Four members of a California-based white supremacist group said to promote racism and fighting have been charged with inciting violence at protests throughout California last year. Rise Above Movement leader Robert Rundo, 28, was arrested Sunday at Los Angeles International Airport after returning from Central America, while Robert Boman, 25,...
to 12 Deaths,
Aug 25, 2017 10:25 AM CDT
Guru's Rape Conviction Leads to 12 Deaths, Fire Everywhere
Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh found guilty of rape, his supporters aren't happy
- Mobs rampaged across a north Indian town, leaving 12 people dead and 100 injured, after a court declared a quasi-religious sect leader guilty of raping two of his followers, per police and a hospital doctor. More than 15,000 paramilitary troops and police officers, some on horseback, were deployed in...
50 Years Later, Photos
Recall Riots of Detroit
Jul 16, 2017 9:45 AM CDT
50 Years Later, Photos Recall Riots of Detroit
The city erupted in the summer of 1967
- Protests that started 50 years ago in a west side Detroit neighborhood would grow into a riot and later a conflagration that threatened to swallow entire city blocks. An angry crowd of African-Americans gathered near 12th and Clairmount streets in the early morning hours of July 23, 1967, after police...
Officer Fires on Rioters
Outside Swedish Capital
Feb 21, 2017 4:14 PM CST
Officer Fires on Rioters Outside Swedish Capital
Cars were torched and businesses looted Monday outside Stockholm
- At least one police officer opened fire on rioters Monday in a Swedish neighborhood with a large immigrant population, CNN reports. According to the AP , the unrest started while officers were attempting to arrest a resident suspected in a drug crime. Bystanders threw rocks, one of which hit an officer...
Venezuela's Leader Blames
'Macabre' Obama Plan
for Looting, Riots
Dec 19, 2016 12:33 AM CST
Venezuela's Leader Blames 'Macabre' Obama Plan for Looting, Riots
He claims decision to scrap bank notes is a triumph
- Venezuela's president said Sunday that the sudden decision to scrap the country's most-used currency bill was an economic triumph over the country's enemies even as the government sent troops and police to cities where riots and looting broke out over the measure. In a national radio and...
Cops Shoot Guy
Feb 28, 2016 1:45 PM CST
Cops Shoot Guy With Broomstick, Spark Riot
Salt Lake City police leave man in critical condition
- A male who authorities say was wielding a broomstick was shot and critically injured by Salt Lake City officers Saturday night, touching off several hours of unrest downtown as officers donned riot gear and blocked streets and bystanders threw rocks and bottles, the AP reports. The male shot by two...
Egypt Soccer Riot
Kills at Least 20
Feb 8, 2015 3:16 PM CST
Egypt Soccer Riot Kills at Least 20
Cause of the violence isn't immediately clear
- A riot broke out today outside of a major soccer game in Egypt, with fighting between police and fans killing at least 20 people, security officials said. The riot, only three years after similar violence killed 74 people, began ahead of a match between Egyptian Premier League clubs Zamalek and...
Cops Now Investigating
Michael Brown's Stepdad
Dec 2, 2014 1:24 PM CST
Cops Now Investigating Michael Brown's Stepdad
Investigation into Louis Head's actions the night of Nov. 24 under way: police chief
- As President Obama urged peace in the moments after it was announced Darren Wilson wouldn't be indicted in the shooting death of Michael Brown, chaos broke out in Ferguson—and now police there are investigating whether Brown's stepfather meant to start a riot himself. Louis Head was seen...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Frantic Parents Tased, Arrested Amid Arizona School Lockdown
Rep Confirms Heche's Death as Exes Grieve
NYT : Trump Lawyer's June Declaration a Factor in Search
Lindsey Graham Gets Bad News From Federal Judge
Singer Arrested on Domestic Assault Charge
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.