Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lee Lands in
Weary Nova Scotia
Sep 16, 2023 5:40 PM CDT
Lee Lands in Weary Nova Scotia
Forecasters expect storm to weaken as it moves inland
- Storm Lee made landfall late Saturday afternoon in Nova Scotia, Canada, at near-hurricane strength, but not before it brought high winds, rough surf and torrential rains to a large swath of New England and Maritime Canada, toppling trees, swamping coastlines, and cutting power to tens of thousands. With sustained winds...
Nova Scotians Give
US Firefighter a
Jun 9, 2023 6:33 AM CDT
Amid Wildfires, Nova Scotians Give US Firefighter a Birthday Surprise
- Kevin Pezanowski probably didn't envision spending his 60th birthday fighting wildfires in Nova Scotia. But that's where the New Hampshire man found himself as part of a team of about 17 firefighters who traveled from the US northeast to help battle the largest forest fire in the Canadian...
Canada Slammed With One
of Its Strongest Storms Ever
Sep 24, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Canada Slammed With One of Its Strongest Storms Ever
Post-tropical cyclone Fiona brings strong winds, heavy rain to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick
- Fiona knocked out power to more than 500,000 customers in Atlantic Canada on Saturday, damaging homes with strong winds and rain as it made landfall as a big, powerful post-tropical cyclone. Fiona transformed from a hurricane into a post-tropical storm late Friday, but meteorologists cautioned that it still could...
Fiona Could Be Strongest
Storm Ever to Hit Canada
Sep 23, 2022 8:53 AM CDT
Fiona Could Be Strongest Storm Ever to Hit Canada
'This storm is going to hit us, folks, and it's going to hit us in the face'
- Canada's Atlantic provinces are bracing for Hurricane Fiona, which some forecasters say could be the strongest storm ever to hit the region. Chris Fogarty at the Canadian Hurricane Center says the storm could be the country's equivalent of 2012's Superstorm Sandy, CNN reports. "We are seeing...
Rescue by US, Canadian Coast
Guards Was, in a Word, Crazy
Mar 4, 2021 9:35 AM CST
Rescue by US, Canadian Coast Guards Was, in a Word, Crazy
31 rescued from Nova Scotia fishing vessel amid dark, stormy seas
- US and Canadian coast guard officials managed an impressive 12-hour rescue of all 31 crew members from a disabled fishing vessel off Nova Scotia over Tuesday and Wednesday, wrapping up shortly before the vessel sank. The 143-foot Atlantic Destiny was 130 miles from Nova Scotia's southwest coast when it...
Long-Lived Great White
Given a Fitting Name
Oct 6, 2020 12:29 PM CDT
Long-Lived Great White Given a Fitting Name
'Queen of the Ocean' is tagged and released off Nova Scotia
- We may be losing our link to one great white shark, but we have another, much larger one to fascinate us in Katherine's place. Off the east coast of Canada, OCEARCH, the nonprofit that tracks marine life, has just tagged a female great white measuring just over 17 feet...
Farmer's Killing Was
in case you missed it
May 31, 2020 7:03 AM CDT
Farmer's Killing Was 'Incomprehensible'—Until Now
Elmer Yuill was murdered on his farm back in 1991. Now, a suspect emerges
- Elmer Yuill's killing made no sense at all. The gentle farmer liked doting on his younger sisters and kept his barnyard so clean that drivers pulled over for photos. Yet early one morning in 1991, the 77-year-old was found dead, two bullets in the back—execution style—on that...
Canada Mass Shooter Killed
13 by Gun, 9 by Fire
Apr 29, 2020 3:00 AM CDT
Canada Mass Shooter Killed 13 by Gun, 9 by Fire
The latest details on Nova Scotia tragedy
- A gunman who killed 22 people in Nova Scotia this month obtained a replica police car at an auction and outfitted it with a light bar and decals that made it look almost identical to a genuine Royal Canadian Mounted Police vehicle before using it to go on a rampage,...
An Argument Launched
Apr 24, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
An Argument Launched Canada's Deadliest Mass Shooting
Gunman attacked his girlfriend first, but she survived
- Canada’s worst mass shooting erupted from an argument between the gunman and his girlfriend, who survived the attack, a police official said. The official confirmed to the AP late Thursday that the weekend shooting rampage in Nova Scotia stemmed from a domestic dispute involving the couple. The official, who...
As Nova Scotia
Death Toll Rises,
a Big Criticism
Apr 22, 2020 12:37 AM CDT
As Nova Scotia Death Toll Rises, a Big Criticism
No emergency alerts were sent out during 12-hour rampage
- The death toll in Canada's deadliest mass shooting has hit 22. That does not include the shooter, who went on a rampage spanning 16 crime scenes across five Nova Scotia communities from Saturday night until almost noon Sunday. The gunman also set fires that damaged or destroyed more than...
Toll Rises to 19 in Canada's
Deadliest Mass Shooting
Apr 20, 2020 6:30 PM CDT
Toll Rises to 19 in Canada's Deadliest Mass Shooting
Gunman was obsessed with police
- The motive in the deadliest mass shooting in Canadian history is still unclear, but investigators say a lot of planning apparently went into the rampage: Gunman Gabriel Wortman disguised himself as a Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer and drove what appeared to be an RCMP cruiser. Associates say the 51-year-old...
16 Dead in Canada's
Deadliest Shooting Rampage
Apr 20, 2020 1:23 AM CDT
16 Dead in Canada's Deadliest Shooting Rampage
Gunman is also dead in Nova Scotia mass shooting
- The death toll in Sunday's Nova Scotia shooting rampage has gone up to 17, including the gunman, the CBC and Global News report. That makes it the deadliest mass shooting in Canada's history, the AP reports. A Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer is among the dead; Constable Heidi...
At Least 10 Are Dead in
Canadian Mass Shooting
Apr 19, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
At Least 10 Are Dead in Canadian Mass Shooting
The suspect was arrested and later pronounced dead
- A 51-year-old man went on a shooting rampage and killed at least 10 people in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia on Sunday, officials said. The suspect was arrested at a gas station and police later announced that he had died, the AP reports. The man was identified by police...
A Refugee Mother's
Anguish After Fire:
'All 7 Are Dead?'
Feb 20, 2019 6:03 AM CST
A Refugee Mother's Anguish After Fire: 'All 7 Are Dead?'
Ibrahim and Kawthar Barho lost all of their children in house fire; Ibrahim Barho is clinging to life
- Friends say a family in Canada was set to move next week from the home they rented and head back to the district in Nova Scotia where they'd first landed as refugees from war-torn Raqqa, Syria, in 2017. Now the family of nine has been tragically reduced to two...
on Missing Pet:
'Why Did You
Mail My Cat?'
Dec 17, 2018 8:39 AM CST
Kid's Query on Missing Pet: 'Why Did You Mail My Cat?'
No worries, Baloo is back home safe after accidentally being shipped to Montreal in a box
- For four days, Baloo was missing from her family's Nova Scotia home. The feline is now back, but not before she took a 1,500-mile round trip, half of it in a box. Jacqueline Lake tells the CBC that when her family's tabby cat first vanished, she suspected...
They Told Him to
Lie in the Water.
They Used Him
as a Bridge
Nov 13, 2018 10:30 AM CST
They Told Him to Lie in the Water. They Used Him as a Bridge
High school, police investigating incident involving Nova Scotia boy with cerebral palsy
- Canadian police are investigating after a boy with cerebral palsy was forced to lie down in a stream so students could walk over him. A Facebook video viewed 300,000 times shows 14-year-old Brett Corbett acting as a human bridge across the waterway outside Nova Scotia's Glace Bay High...
She Thought of
Him 'Like a Son.'
Then She Won a
Jul 13, 2018 7:33 AM CDT
She Thought of Him 'Like a Son.' Then She Won a $900K Jackpot
Nova Scotia woman says she never agreed to split winnings with nephew; he says she did
- It appeared to be a joyous photo op: a 57-year-old Nova Scotia woman and her 19-year-old nephew holding up a check for $1.2 million Canadian ($900,000) they'd won in a fundraising event that helped fire departments around Margaree Forks. But per the CBC , the presser Thursday went...
Girl, 9, Who Can't Walk or Talk
Saves Brother From Drowning
Jul 5, 2018 4:53 AM CDT
Girl, 9, Who Can't Walk or Talk Saves Brother From Drowning
She screamed, pointed toward pool
- When Lexie Comeau-Drisdelle's mother heard the 9-year-old girl screaming at the top of her voice, she thought her daughter had fallen out of her wheelchair and was alerting her the only way she could. Lexie has cerebral palsy and is unable to walk or talk. But the Nova Scotia...
Cop's Online Demo
Leads to Arrest
Jun 29, 2016 12:59 AM CDT
Undercover Cop's Online Demo Leads to Arrest
Nova Scotia officer posing as young teen girl is bombarded with graphic images, texts
- The arrest of a St. Louis-area man charged with eight counts of sexual misconduct involving a child younger than 15 has its roots in Nova Scotia, where an undercover officer was performing a simple demonstration. The officer, who is a member of the provincial Internet Child Exploitation (ICE) unit, was...
Feb 18, 2016 6:48 AM CST
Canadian Island to Americans: Flee Trump, Come Here!
'Muslim people can roam freely,' website states
- In a common election-year lament , more than a few people on Twitter have suggested they’ll move to Canada if Donald Trump becomes the next US president. Rob Calabrese has the perfect location in mind. On Monday, the Nova Scotia radio DJ set up a tongue-in-cheek website titled Cape Breton...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Prosecutors: Inmate Stabbed Chauvin 22 Times
Her Body Was Found by Rock Climbers 26 Years Ago
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.