Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Find Like This Comes
'Once in a Generation'
Sep 27, 2023 12:24 PM CDT
A Find Like This Comes 'Once in a Generation'
Long-lost work by old master Artemisia Gentileschi rediscovered in palace storage
- England's King Charles I owned seven paintings by Artemisia Gentileschi, a 17th-century Italian artist born to a father who associated with the famous realist painter Caravaggio. She is now considered "one of the finest artists of her era, up there with Caravaggio," per
, but unfortunately for...
After Attacks, UK Is
Banning American 'Bully' Dog
Sep 15, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
After Attacks, UK Is Banning American 'Bully' Dog
Prime minister says the breed will be outlawed by the end of the year
- A large breed of dog known as the American Bully XL will be off limits in the UK as of the end of the year, reports the BBC . British Prime Minster Rishi Sunak announced the breed will be banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act after a series of attacks. The...
Report: Russian Pilot Tried
to Shoot Down UK Military Jet
Sep 14, 2023 2:25 PM CDT
Report: Russian Pilot Tried to Shoot Down UK Military Jet
BBC reports 2 missiles were fired deliberately, not in a 'technical malfunction' as Russia claimed
- A Russian pilot deliberately tried to shoot down a British plane last year, the BBC is reporting, contradicting Russia's claims of a "technical malfunction." The pilot fired two missiles at the Royal Air Force plane in international airspace over the Black Sea on Sept. 29, 2022. The...
They Were Arrested at Sarah
Everard Vigil. Now, an Apology
Sep 14, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
They Were Arrested at Sarah Everard Vigil. Now, an Apology
Metropolitan Police to pay 'substantial damages' to 2 women who were mourning murdered UK woman
- Just days after the body of Sarah Everard, murdered by a police officer now serving a life sentence, was found in Kent, England, in March 2021, mourners were detained at a London vigil in her memory. Now, police there are apologizing for how two protesters in particular were treated, with...
Terror Suspect's 75-Hour
Jailbreak Has Ended
Sep 9, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Terror Suspect's 75-Hour Jailbreak Has Ended
Daniel Khalife, who broke out of London prison on Wednesday, was nabbed in west end of city
- Daniel Abed Khalife has been found. Local police say the 21-year-old terror suspect, who'd escaped from London's Wandsworth prison on Wednesday by apparently strapping himself to the bottom of a food delivery van, was arrested in the Chiswick section of the city around 11am local time on Saturday,...
Witness Reports Seeing
Escaped UK Suspect
Sep 8, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Witness Reports Seeing Escaped UK Suspect
Police search London park after report of man crawling out from under van
- Police are concentrating their search for an escaped terror suspect in southwest London, after receiving a report that Daniel Khalife was spotted in the area. One account of his prison escape had him getting away Wednesday by holding onto the bottom of a delivery van; a witness said a man...
On Anniversary of Death, King
Shares Unreleased Queen Pic
Sep 8, 2023 10:59 AM CDT
On Anniversary of Death, King Shares Unreleased Queen Pic
Charles III, Queen Camilla also held prayer service for Elizabeth II near Balmoral
- Friday marks one year since the death of Queen Elizabeth II , and the royal family has circulated a never-before-released portrait of the late monarch in commemoration. "We recall with great affection her long life, devoted service, and all she meant to so many of us," King Charles III...
UK Pushing Back Hard
on This Russian 'Military Tool'
Sep 6, 2023 7:59 AM CDT
UK Pushing Back Hard on This Russian 'Military Tool'
Nation wants to deem Prigozhin-less Wagner Group a terrorist organization
- Yevgeny Prigozhin may be out of the picture , but the Wagner Group is still causing leeriness around the globe—and the United Kingdom is now set to deem it a terrorist organization. "They are terrorists, plain and simple," Home Secretary Suella Braverman said Wednesday of the Russian mercenary...
After Serial Killer of
Babies Skips Hearing,
UK May Change Law
Aug 21, 2023 6:25 PM CDT
After Serial Killer of Babies Skips Hearing, UK May Change Law
'Cowardly' former neonatal nurse was not present during sentencing, victim impact statements
- A British judge denounced former neonatal nurse Lucy Letby's "deep malevolence and sadism" Monday as he sentenced her to life in prison with no chance of parole for murdering seven babies and trying to kill six more. But Justice James Goss—and parents who delivered devastating victim impact...
Citing Nurse's 'Sadism,' Judge
Sends Her to Jail for Life
Aug 21, 2023 7:27 AM CDT
Citing Nurse's 'Sadism,' Judge Sends Her to Jail for Life
Britain's Lucy Letby killed 7 babies in the hospital, tried to kill others
- A British nurse who murdered seven babies in her care at a hospital—and tried to kill others still—will spend the rest of her life in prison. A judge handed down the life sentence Monday to Lucy Letby, 33, reports the BBC . "This was a cruel, calculated, and...
After Enduring Women's Ban,
Soccer Pioneer Cheers Change
Aug 19, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
After Enduring Women's Ban, Soccer Pioneer Cheers Change
Beating Spain in World Cup final would close book on 'huge injustice,' Gail Newsham says
- Gail Newsham can't stop grinning as she prepares for England's soccer team to play in the final of the Women's World Cup. Newsham, 70, grew up at a time when women in England were banned from the sport—called football here—and helped lead a resurgence in...
Tourist Site Pleads for End
to Naked Photo Ops
Aug 19, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Tourist Site Pleads for End to Naked Photo Ops
Visitors have gotten 'a right eyeful' in UK sunflower field
- The owners of a sunflower field off England's south coast have asked visitors to feel a little less at home. About a half-dozen people have been inspired by the surroundings to pose naked among the 2 million blooms for photos, CNN reports. After "a couple of children saw...
With Earnings Locked Up,
Etsy Sellers Threaten Strike
Aug 3, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
With Earnings Locked Up, Etsy Sellers Threaten Strike
Marketplace's promise to alter its payment reserve policy comes without details
- Online marketplace Etsy says it's adjusting a policy that some UK sellers complained was ruining their businesses, though that hasn't done much to avoid what's been dubbed the "Etsy Reserve Strike." The BBC reported this week that some sellers on the platform were seeing 75%...
Aug 3, 2023 9:10 AM CDT
Greenpeace Stages Sit-In on Rishi Sunak's Roof
Activists against oil drilling draped UK PM's country home in Richmond in black fabric
- Greenpeace demonstrators draped the country estate of British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak in black fabric Thursday to protest his plan to expand oil and gas drilling in the North Sea. Video posted by the group showed a crew dressed in bright red jumpsuits, helmets, and safety harnesses carrying ladders and...
Was No Man
Jul 27, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Researchers: This Ancient Warrior Was No Man
Grave of female on UK island of Bryher suggests women had leading roles in warfare 2K years ago
- When archaeologists came across a a 2,000-year-old grave on an island off the coast of Britain in 1999, they were confused. Inside lay a sword and shield, typically buried with men, and a brooch and mirror, typically buried with women, reports the
. DNA testing failed to tell archaeologists...
In Days Before
She Died, Sinead
Jul 27, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
In Days Before She Died, Sinead Posted About Late Son
London cops say singer's death isn't suspicious; O'Connor remained distraught over death of teen
- A cause of death still hasn't been revealed for Irish singer Sinead O'Connor, who died Wednesday at age 56 in London, but cops there now say it wasn't a suspicious one, report the BBC and CNN . Per Metropolitan Police, O'Connor was found shortly before noon local...
Polly Want a Mountain Rescue?
Jul 26, 2023 12:44 PM CDT
Polly Want a Mountain Rescue?
Woman and her bird got stranded on Welsh mountain
- The good news is that the woman was reunited with her pet parrot. The bad news is that in going in search of her lost bird, she ended up stranded on a Welsh mountain and in need of a rescue herself. The unidentified woman had set out with a group...
Jul 21, 2023 7:36 AM CDT
Guess Who's Getting a 45% Raise?
King Charles' sovereign grant to climb to $160M in 2025, up from the current $111M
- King Charles III is set to receive a 45% raise. On Thursday, the UK Treasury announced details of the monarchy's annual budget, known as the sovereign grant, suggesting it would be slashed in the coming years to allow funds to be spent on public services, as the king himself...
Archbishop Takes Issue With
Key Word in 'Our Father' Prayer
in case you missed it
Jul 15, 2023 12:25 PM CDT
Archbishop Takes Issue With Key Word in 'Our Father' Prayer
Stephen Cottrell told Church of England's General Synod the word has 'patriarchal' leanings
- Christians worldwide who've committed the "Our Father" prayer to memory for 2,000 years would likely be thrown if the opening words—also the prayer's title—were suddenly altered. That tweak doesn't seem to be imminent, but eyebrows are raised after one of the Church of...
Cheap Vacation Trips in 1960s
May Be Taking a Toll Today
in case you missed it
Jul 15, 2023 7:15 AM CDT
Cheap Vacation Trips in 1960s May Be Taking a Toll Today
UK cancer group blames spike in skin cancer cases on long-ago boom in holiday excursions
- A cancer group in the UK is blaming a spike in skin cancer partly on an unusual factor: the popularity of cheap vacation trips back in the 1960s. Cancer Research UK reports that overall melanoma cases have reached a record-high 17,500 cases a year, reports the
. And the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.