Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
The Queen Doesn't Look
Quite Like This Anymore
Jun 23, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
The Queen Doesn't Look Quite Like This Anymore
Elizabeth is spotted with a brand-new haircut
- Royal families tend to be mired in tradition, to the point that even small changes in the status quo garner international attention. That's why Queen Elizabeth's latest surprise move is making headlines worldwide: She's gotten a post-Platinum Jubilee haircut, dumping her signature structured 'do for trimmed-back...
Protest Demands Help
With Soaring Prices
Jun 18, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Protest Demands Help With Soaring Prices
With bills rising more than pay, London marchers want government to help
- Thousands of people marched through central London on Saturday in a protest over the soaring cost of living in Britain. Huge crowds flooded into the British capital for the rally to demand that the government do more to help people faced with bills and other expenses that are rising more...
Looks Like Assange
May Soon Be
Headed to US
Jun 17, 2022 7:33 AM CDT
Looks Like Assange May Soon Be Headed to US
UK home secretary gives the OK to extradite WikiLeaks founder; he has 14 days to appeal
- The final step in approving Julian Assange's extradition from the UK to the United States to face espionage charges has been taken. In April, a British judge gave the green light to move the WikiLeaks founder overseas, and on Friday, Priti Patel, Britain's home secretary, gave her OK...
Jun 15, 2022 3:58 PM CDT
Frog Mystery Surfaces at Iron Age Settlement
Archaeologists can't explain their bones at ancient site
- Excavations carried out ahead of highway work in England have revealed a mass grave full of … long-dead frogs. Experts are at a loss to explain the mass of 8,000 bones from roughly 350 frogs and toads, found buried in a long ditch beside an excavated roundhouse at Bar...
His Graffitied Proposal Was
a Landmark. Then It Got Erased
Jun 14, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
His Graffitied Proposal Was a Landmark. Then It Got Erased
Now, James Lowe's message on bridge in Sheffield, England, is back after public clamor
- "For better or for worse, graffiti is normal in every city across the world." So begins the YouTube video entitled "The Graffiti That Changed a City," referring to a 20-year-old spray-painted marriage proposal on a pedestrian bridge in Sheffield, England, that "became a symbol of...
It Sank in 1682. Its Discovery
Has Been a Secret for 15 Years
Jun 10, 2022 12:45 PM CDT
It Sank in 1682. Its Discovery Has Been a Secret for 15 Years
Gloucester was carrying the future King James II when it met its demise off coast of England
- A royal shipwreck discovered off the coast of England is being called "the single most significant historic maritime discovery" for the country in four decades. Found by amateur divers in 2007 but only revealed this week, the wreck of the Gloucester—which ran aground and sank on May 6,...
3 Foreign Nationals
Sentenced to Die for
Jun 9, 2022 2:48 PM CDT
3 Foreign Nationals Sentenced to Die for Fighting Russians
Donetsk court found 2 Brits and a Moroccan to be mercenaries, not soldiers, in 'sham judgment'
- Two Brits and a Moroccan who fought against Russians in Ukraine have been sentenced to die. A court in Russian-controlled Donetsk in east Ukraine delivered the sentence Thursday after what onlookers call a "show trial" meant to mimic war crimes trials against Russian soldiers in areas controlled by Ukraine,...
Jun 7, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Not Many Are Buying Johnson's Post-Vote Spin
British PM celebrates surviving no-confidence vote, but history is not on his side
- After surviving a no-confidence vote on Monday, Boris Johnson put the best possible face on things. The British prime minister called it an "extremely good, positive, conclusive, decisive result," one that would allow him to "move on," per the
. What Johnson glossed over is that...
Boris Johnson Learns His Fate
Jun 6, 2022 3:36 PM CDT
Boris Johnson Learns His Fate
He narrowly survived no-confidence vote
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson survived a vote of no confidence in his leadership Monday—but the margin of victory was far too close for comfort and analysts believe the mutiny could still mark the beginning of the end of his leadership. The final vote among Conservative members of Parliament...
Queen Steps Out, Making
Jun 5, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Queen Steps Out, Making Crowd-Pleasing Appearance
Guest of honor surfaces on palace balcony on final day of Platinum Jubilee festivities
- On the final day of the Platinum Jubilee events in her honor, Queen Elizabeth put the crowning touch on the celebration by appearing on the Buckingham Palace balcony. Thousands of subjects gathered along the Mall roared as she stepped into view with her heirs and family members, CNN reports. The...
'Discomfort' Sidelines Queen
Jun 2, 2022 2:20 PM CDT
'Discomfort' Sidelines Queen
Elizabeth will skip Friday church service celebrating her 70 years on throne
Buckingham Palace says Queen Elizabeth II will not attend a church service to mark her Platinum Jubilee after experiencing “discomfort” at events on Thursday, per the AP . The palace says that with “great reluctance” the 96-year-old monarch has decided to skip Friday’s service at St. Paul’...
Kevin Spacey: I'm Going
to UK to Clear My Name
May 31, 2022 12:54 PM CDT
Kevin Spacey: I'm Going to UK to Clear My Name
Actor says he is 'confident' he will be cleared of latest abuse allegations
Kevin Spacey says he will travel to Britain to defend himself in court against new allegations of sexual abuse and is "confident" he'll be cleared. In a statement released by his attorney on Tuesday, the actor said he will "voluntarily appear in the UK as soon...
Boy Thrown From
Tate Modern Goes
in the Pool Again
May 30, 2022 2:00 AM CDT
Boy Thrown From Tate Modern Goes in the Pool Again
9-year-old continues to improve
The boy who was hurled from a viewing platform at London's Tate Modern museum in 2019 is doing better than doctors had predicted, his family says in a new update posted to a GoFundMe campaign set up to help with his recovery. "We were able to celebrate...
Man's 'Space-Age' Procedure
Has Freed Him From His Pain
in case you missed it
May 29, 2022 7:10 AM CDT
Man's 'Space-Age' Procedure Has Freed Him From His Pain
Scotland's Steven Gallagher, who suffers from sclerodoma, praises his double hand transplant
- For years, Steven Gallagher has suffered from pain in his arms and hands, not finding relief even after an operation to address what he believed at the time was carpal tunnel syndrome. Turns out the Scotsman actually has an autoimmune disease that scars the skin and his inner organs, and...
Hospital Worker Arrested
After Baby's 'Sudden' Death
May 23, 2022 8:58 AM CDT
Hospital Worker Arrested After Baby's 'Sudden' Death
Person in custody said to be nurse at Birmingham Children's Hospital, suspected of poisoning
- Just hours after an infant died in the ICU at a prominent UK medical center, an arrest has been made. The BBC reports that a 27-year-old health worker was suspended from her job and brought into custody "on suspicion of administering poison with intent to endanger life." ITV...
In the UK, It's a 'Big, Big
Moment' for Soccer
May 17, 2022 11:01 AM CDT
In the UK, It's a 'Big, Big Moment' for Soccer
Blackpool's Jake Daniels, 17, is first professional male player to come out as gay in decades
- British soccer player Jake Daniels capped a successful season for Blackpool Football Club's youth team by making his debut on the main team—and by becoming the country's first professional men's soccer player to come out as gay in decades. The 17-year-old, who scored 30 goals for...
Pub to Change Its Name
in case you missed it
May 15, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
Asks 200-Year-Old Pub to Change Its Name
Response from pub in tiny village of Vogue was a hard no
- A pub in the tiny village of Vogue in Cornwall, England, has told the publishers of
magazine that its response to a request to change its name is a "categorical NO." The long-established Star Inn at Vogue—known to locals as "the Vogue"—received a...
Egging of Thatcher Statue
Begins Quickly in Hometown
May 15, 2022 12:25 PM CDT
Egging of Thatcher Statue Begins Quickly in Hometown
Memorial to prime ministers renews debate about her legacy
- A new statue of Margaret Thatcher stood for not two hours Sunday in the former UK prime minister's hometown before the first egg was thrown. A man at a temporary fence began pelting the statue in Grantham, emitting a shout when one hit its target. The statue's reception...
Stack of 7 M&Ms
Takes the Cake
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 7, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Stack of 7 M&Ms Takes the Cake
Master balancer Ibrahim Sadeq of Iraq is latest to claim the world record
Will Cutbill had just eight and a half months to enjoy his Guinness World Record for the Tallest Stack of M&Ms at five. The Brit's achievement on Jan. 31, 2021 was the first of three times the world record would be broken in a 15-month span, per...
Harry, Meghan Won't Be on
Queen's Balcony for Celebration
May 6, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Harry, Meghan Won't Be on Queen's Balcony for Celebration
Neither will Andrew at Platinum Jubilee, as all 3 no longer have royal duties
- In June, the United Kingdom will celebrate Queen Elizabeth's Platinum Jubilee , a commemoration of her status as the only British monarch ever to have put in 70 years on the throne. And there will be four very special guests in attendance: Prince Harry, his wife Meghan Markle, and their...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
Moments After Teen's Death, the Alleged Cover-Up Began
Her Photo Was Used for Story About 'Fat' Women. Now She's Suing
Cops Can't Find Mom, Kids Who Were Staying With Flash Star
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.