Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'It's a Complete Catastrophe':
Ancient Coins Stolen in Heist
Nov 23, 2022 3:15 PM CST
'It's a Complete Catastrophe': Ancient Coins Stolen in Heist
Theft occurred at Germany's Celtic and Roman Museum
- The Celtic and Roman Museum has lost its most precious treasure. The
New York Times
reports 483 ancient gold coins thought to be worth $1.7 million were on Tuesday morning discovered stolen from the museum, located in Manching, Germany. "It's a complete catastrophe," said mayor Herbert...
Already Angry Bank Customers
Here Are About to Get Angrier
Sep 22, 2022 8:38 AM CDT
Already Angry Bank Customers Here Are About to Get Angrier
Lebanon shutters banks 'indefinitely' after heist spree by patrons trying to access trapped cash
- If you're in Lebanon and need to do regular banking, better download the app—and expect all the usual limitations on how much money you can take out. That's because after being closed for three days already, most banks there are now shuttered "indefinitely" after a rush...
Brink's Driver Was
Asleep When Millions in
Jewels Were Stolen: Suit
Aug 24, 2022 2:51 AM CDT
Brink's Driver Was Asleep When Millions in Jewels Were Stolen: Suit
Haul from jewelry heist worth somewhere in the millions
- One of the drivers of a Brink’s tractor-trailer was asleep inside the big rig, parked near a remote Southern California rest stop earlier this summer, when thieves broke a lock and stole millions of dollars worth of jewelry and gemstones, according to a lawsuit filed by the security company....
A Nasty Text Helps Detectives
Solve a Massive Burglary Case
Jul 24, 2022 7:12 AM CDT
A Nasty Text Helps Detectives Solve a Massive Burglary Case
How police tracked down 3 men who took Tamara Ecclestone's diamonds
- That the $29 million theft of cash and jewelry from heiress Tamara Ecclestone's home was well investigated isn't too surprising. Somehow seeing it laid out step by step is. In a lengthy piece for the BBC , Thomas Mackintosh recounts how the case—"the biggest domestic burglary in...
Arrests Made in Wine Heist
Planned in 'Millimetric Detail'
Jul 20, 2022 4:43 PM CDT
Arrests Made in Wine Heist Planned in 'Millimetric Detail'
Theft happened in Spain, the arrests came in Croatia
- It's being called the "theft of the century," at least in the vinophile sphere. But authorities appear to have finally caught their suspects after a long-haul chase across Europe that involved both Interpol and Europol law enforcement agencies. Police say that a man and woman were arrested...
The LA Shootout Was Like
Something Straight Out of
May 29, 2022 2:35 PM CDT
The LA Shootout Was Like Something Straight Out of
Mel Magazine goes inside an infamous 1997 bank robbery
- When it comes to Los Angeles bank robbers, Larry Phillips and Emil Matasareanu were like no others. In a lengthy piece for
, Zaron Burnett III takes a look into the havoc wrought by the two weightlifters, friends who teamed up to start robbing banks in the mid-'90s....
Man in Prison for Stealing
Syrup Now Told to Pay Millions
Apr 1, 2022 6:27 AM CDT
Man in Prison for Stealing Syrup Now Told to Pay Millions
Richard Vallieres was part of massive scheme that lifted one of country's hottest commodities
- In what may be the most Canadian of crimes yet—and the "stickiest," per the BBC —the nation's high court this week ruled that a "major player" in a scheme to steal a massive amount of maple syrup must pay a $7.2 million fine....
After Heist on
7 Hit With Charges
Mar 19, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
After Heist on
Set, 7 Hit With Charges
Authorities are still seeking others after Feb. 25 incident in which $330K in equipment was stolen
Seven youths have been charged in connection with a heist last month on the set of the Netflix series
. On Feb. 25, about 20 thieves descended upon production taking place in the Nanterre district of France, outside of Paris, swiping equipment worth $330,000. According to AFP, the...
a $200K Theft
Feb 24, 2022 12:55 PM CST
Suffers a $200K Theft
Thieves made off with more than 350 props, police say
- Three vehicles hit by thieves in South Yorkshire, England, contained some unusual items: more than 350 props used in the Netflix series
. The BBC reports by way of police that the items were stolen on Feb. 16 from vehicles parked near a filming location. The loot included many...
The Paintings Remain Missing,
but Authorities Say There's DNA
Sep 22, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
The Paintings Remain Missing, but Authorities Say There's DNA
Nils M has been charged in the Netherlands
- His resume fits: a Dutch man identified as Nils M spent five years behind bars in connection with the 2012 theft of a 17th-century church vessel from a museum whose doors he blasted open. Prosecutors allege he struck again following his release. The 59-year-old was arrested in April and stands...
Story of Spectacular Heist Has
Never Been Told Like This
Aug 28, 2021 3:35 PM CDT
Story of Spectacular Heist Has Never Been Told Like This
'GQ' goes deep into the Green Vault heist
- There's a good chance you heard about the Green Vault heist , a spectacular theft of jewels in Dresden, Germany, in 2019. But you definitely haven't heard about it like Joshua Hammer tells it. In a lengthy piece for
he goes deep into the billion-dollar crime, the suspects,...
Hacker Behind $610M Crypto
Theft: I Had Good Intentions
Aug 13, 2021 7:54 AM CDT
Hacker Behind $610M Crypto Theft: I Had Good Intentions
Almost all of the stolen funds have been returned by 'Mr. White Hat'
- It seems pleading worked. Poly Network, which urged hackers to return more than $610 million in cryptocurrency stolen from its decentralized finance platform this week in one of the largest ever cryptocurrency thefts, says almost all of the assets have been returned. In a Thursday tweet, the platform said the...
Cryptocurrency Platform to
Hackers: Please Return $600M
Aug 11, 2021 8:41 AM CDT
Cryptocurrency Platform to Hackers: Please Return $600M
Crypto heist at decentralized finance platform Poly Network may be largest ever
- Hackers have stolen more than $600 million worth of cryptocurrency in what is "likely to be one of the biggest cryptocurrency thefts ever," reports CNBC . In a message to the hackers, Poly Network, a platform allowing users to transfer tokens between different blockchains, said "the amount of...
The Heist Was Worth
Apr 4, 2021 3:06 PM CDT
The Heist Was Worth Millions—in Books
'Vanity Fair' recounts an unusual theft from a London warehouse
- The crime was so unusual—so
—that police in London checked to see if the circus had been in town. That turned out to be a dead end, writes Marc Wortman in a lengthy
piece about the 2017 heist. Thieves had climbed to the roof of a...
$6.6M in Apple Products
Stolen in Truck Heist
Nov 18, 2020 7:03 PM CST
$6.6M in Apple Products Stolen in Truck Heist
British police say driver, guard were tied up
- Police in Britain have asked the public to be on the lookout for anybody selling suspiciously cheap Apple products. Police say bandits made off with $6.6 million in iPhone 11s, iPads, Apple Watches, and other products after a truck heist in Northamptonshire, central England, reports Reuters . The truck was...
In 4 Museum Heists, Thieves
Went After the Same Thing
Nov 13, 2020 9:20 AM CST
In 4 Museum Heists, Thieves Went After the Same Thing
A fortune's worth of Nazi uniforms stolen in Europe since March
- Thieves set up a roadblock of tires, parked a fake police car beside it, then smashed down the door of the Eyewitness War Museum in the Netherlands, from which they took $1.5 million in World War II memorabilia in just five minutes, per the
New York Times
in Brazen Heist
Jun 4, 2020 12:48 PM CDT
Thieves Swipe 75 Vehicles in Brazen Heist
Bay Area theft one of many well-coordinated ones capitalizing on chaos of Floyd protests
- Police in a small San Francisco Bay Area community were about to help authorities in neighboring Oakland keep the peace during a protest when a more pressing crisis hit home: Groups of thieves had pillaged malls, set fire to a Walmart, and stormed a car dealership. By the time San...
Prosecutors: 4 Guards Were
In On $1.1B Jewel Heist
Mar 10, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
Prosecutors: 4 Guards Were In On $1.1B Jewel Heist
4 guards under the microscope for suspected role in November's Green Vault break-in in Germany
- Seven people in total are believed to have been involved in November's brazen jewelry heist from Dresden's Green Vault, and four of them may have been security guards in on the scheme. The
reports that two of the suspects were working at the museum on Nov. 25,...
Video Captures Brazen
Jewel Heist in Broad Daylight
Aug 27, 2019 5:17 PM CDT
Video Captures Brazen Jewel Heist in Broad Daylight
3 suspects made off with an estimated $4M in jewelry in Manhattan
- A brazen daylight heist was caught on surveillance video in Manhattan Sunday, where three men entered "celebrity jeweler" Avianne & Co. around noon and walked out with an estimated $4 million in jewelry in what CBS New York calls a "Hollywood-style robbery." The men posed as customers...
Bellagio Heist Goes South,
Suspect Is Shot
Mar 16, 2019 8:40 AM CDT
Bellagio Heist Goes South, Suspect Is Shot
Vegas police officer also injured but has already been treated and released from hospital
- "I'm in the poker room and we've been locked in for an hour, not even bathroom, no joke!" That was just one of the tweets that allegedly emerged from inside the Bellagio casino and hotel during an attempted heist in Las Vegas Friday night. Las Vegas...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Freak Wave Slams Cruise Ship, Claims Life of Passenger
Green Book Actor Found Dead on Bronx Street
Dad: My Baby ODed on Fentanyl at Public Park
Teen Campaigning for Warnock Shot on Doorstep
Activists Behind 'Despicable' Robocalls Hear Their Fate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.