Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Manchin Drops Changes
on Energy Permitting
Sep 28, 2022 5:50 PM CDT
Manchin Drops Changes on Energy Permitting
Schumer says the proposal could come up again
: Facing opposition from both parties, Sen. Joe Manchin abandoned his provision to streamline and speed up the permitting process for energy projects. With that wording dropped, a stopgap spending bill to keep the federal government operating was moved along by the Senate on Tuesday, the
Wall Street Journal
Pressure Increases for Biden
to Cancel Student Loan Debt
Apr 2, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
Pressure Increases for Biden to Cancel Student Loan Debt
President has canceled more debt than any predecessor, but borrowers feel let down
- During his 2020 campaign, President Biden called for canceling student debt up to $10,000 for the 43 million people who borrowed money for school. He hasn't done that, though he's chipped away at the debt, canceling loans for people who are permanently disabled, those employed in the...
to Win for Years
Nov 15, 2021 7:05 PM CST
GOP Rebuilds House Districts to Win for Years
New lines set up Republicans to take control next year
- The redrawing of congressional district lines is not only giving Republicans a shot at flipping five or more House seats, it's taken another step toward making elections less competitive and the nation more divided. With approval ratings already down for President Biden and Democrats, the GOP could be unbeatable...
but Party Still
Counts on Him
Nov 1, 2021 7:20 PM CDT
Manchin Rips Domestic Bill, but Party Still Counts on Him
Some Democrats sound weary but don't expect him to undermine Biden
- Don't expect Sen. Joe Manchin to support President Biden's $1.85 trillion domestic legislation, at least not yet, the West Virginia Democrat made clear in a press conference Monday. He accused members of his party of employing "shell games, budget gimmicks" to make the bill palatable, Politico...
Pelosi Says Democrats Almost
Have a Spending Bill Deal
Oct 24, 2021 1:25 PM CDT
Pelosi Says Democrats Almost Have a Spending Bill Deal
Biden meets with Manchin in Delaware
- Asked Sunday when congressional Democrats will reach an agreement on President Biden's social safety net legislation, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said it could be any time now. "I think we are pretty much there now," Pelosi said on CNN's
State of the Union
. "We have...
Win to Main
Oct 1, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Democrats Are Giving Win to Main Heckler
Trump wants GOP to make sure Biden has no congressional successes, Susan Glasser says
- Former President Donald Trump is watching Democrats in Washington fight this week, rooting for them to fail. And so far, they're accommodating him. Trump's position that President Biden is weak and will fail is as close to platform or policy as the Republican Party gets, Susan Glasser writes...
Biden Will Try to Break
Oct 1, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Biden Will Try to Break Logjam Himself
And Bernie Sanders is ticked at two fellow Democratic senators who remain holdouts
- The shutdown has been averted , at least temporarily. Now the focus is solely on whether Democrats can reach a compromise on legislation crucial to President Biden's agenda. Toward that end, Biden himself will travel to Capitol Hill to meet with House Democrats later Friday afternoon, reports the Hill and...
There Are 9
Justices. New Bill
Would Make It 13
Apr 15, 2021 8:46 AM CDT
There Are 9 Supreme Court Justices. New Bill Would Make It 13
Observers note legislation set to be introduced by Dems is unlikely to pass anytime soon, however
- Last week, President Biden signed an executive order to set up a commission dedicated to studying possible reforms to the Supreme Court, including an increase in the number of justices on the bench. Congressional Democrats, however, aren't waiting for the results of the panel's report due out in...
Dem Lawmaker Claims
Capitol Raid Was an Inside Job
Jan 13, 2021 8:03 AM CST
Dem Lawmaker Claims Capitol Raid Was an Inside Job
Mikie Sherrill says she saw lawmakers leading people through Capitol on 'reconnaissance' mission
- Rep. Mikie Sherrill is claiming that members of Congress led people through the Capitol on a "reconnaissance" mission a day before last week's riot. Sherrill, a New Jersey Democrat, took to Facebook Live on Tuesday to explain why she voted in favor of a resolution asking Vice President...
No, You Can't
Feb 7, 2020 12:46 PM CST
Court to Lawmakers: No, You Can't Sue Trump
Federal appeals court says congressional Dems have no legal standing in emoluments complaint
- Congressional Democrats received some disappointing news this week over their emoluments lawsuit against President Trump. Per Politico , the DC Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Friday that the complaint filed in 2017 by 200-plus Democratic House and Senate members, accusing the president of illegally profiting from foreign governments who spent money...
Pelosi After AOC Meeting:
There Was No 'Hatchet' to Bury
Jul 26, 2019 12:05 PM CDT
Pelosi After AOC Meeting: There Was No 'Hatchet' to Bury
House speaker says she and Rep. Ocasio-Cortez had a 'positive' meeting Friday on 'range of issues'
- The House of Representatives is about to take a six-week recess, but one notable meeting took place Friday that provoked some "palace intrigue," per Politico . House Speaker Nancy Pelosi spent 30 minutes behind closed doors with Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, after weeks of what seemed to be a tense...
With Investigating Trump
Jan 23, 2019 7:47 AM CST
Ocasio-Cortez Tasked With Investigating Trump
She's one of 3 newcomers named to House Oversight Committee
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has joined her second House committee—and it's the primary investigative body that will soon hear testimony from President Trump's former lawyer, Michael Cohen. The House Oversight Committee on Tuesday announced the 29-year-old congresswoman from New York as one of four new Democratic members, but she'...
Rep. Sorry for 'Distraction'
Caused by Trump Vulgarity
Jan 9, 2019 3:25 AM CST
Rep. Sorry for 'Distraction' Caused by Trump Vulgarity
But Rashida Tlaib says she's not sorry about being upset
- Rep. Rashida Tlaib is sorry—not for referring to President Trump as a "motherf--ker," nor for calling for his impeachment, but for causing a "distraction" when there were more pressing issues to focus on, especially the government shutdown. The newly sworn-in Michigan Democrat said Tuesday that she...
Rising Dem Star
to the Media:
Aug 18, 2018 3:15 PM CDT
Rising Dem Star to the Media: You're Banned
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez bars reporters from 2 events
- Seems President Trump isn't the only one with media issues . Now rising Democratic star Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has entirely banned reporters from two town-hall-style events, CNN reports. The congressional candidate hosted the "listening tour" community meetings last week—one in the Bronx on Wednesday and one in Queens on...
Court Decision Makes Dem
House Takeover More Likely
Mar 19, 2018 6:30 PM CDT
Court Decision Makes Dem House Takeover More Likely
The US Supreme Court and a federal panel rejected challenges to a new Pennsylvania congressional map
- Boosting Democrats' chances of retaking control of Congress in this fall's midterm elections, the US Supreme Court and a federal panel on Monday rejected GOP challenges to a newly redrawn congressional map imposed on Pennsylvania by the state's high court. The courts dismissed requests to throw out or...
Reach Out to
'in a Year'
Oct 6, 2017 9:50 AM CDT
Weinstein: I'll Reach Out to Ashley Judd 'in a Year'
He also tells Page Six the NYT was 'reckless'
- Fallout from the Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment scandal , which broke in the
New York Times
Thursday, continues to rain down, and it's now hit congressional Democrats. The
reports at least four senators—Elizabeth Warren, Richard Blumenthal, Patrick Leahy, and Martin Heinrich—will give money to charity equal to...
Democrats Snort at Trump's
'Drain the Swamp' Line
address to congress
Feb 28, 2017 9:20 PM CST
Democrats Snort at Trump's 'Drain the Swamp' Line
A little heckling breaks out in the audience
- Early in his speech to Congress Tuesday night, President Trump said he was making good on his promise to "drain the swamp" in Washington, DC. It seems, however, that Democrats disagree. Some laughter and derisive noises could be heard in the audience, as captured in this video captured by...
Hillary Clinton May Have
Just Saved the Iran Deal
Jul 14, 2015 1:39 PM CDT
Hillary Clinton May Have Just Saved the Iran Deal
Her support makes it unlikely GOP can prevail in Congress
- Hillary Clinton met with congressional Democrats on Capitol Hill today and gave what one described as a "full-throated" endorsement of the Iran nuclear deal, reports the
. Clinton's public comments were a bit more measured: "This is an important step in putting a lid on Iran's...
Mar 2, 2015 9:07 AM CST
Longest-Serving Woman in Congress Is Retiring
Maryland's Barbara Mikulski is stepping down from Senate
- Democratic officials say Sen. Barbara Mikulski , the longest serving woman in the history of Congress, is ready to announce her retirement. The 78-year-old Maryland Democrat, now in her fifth term, is set to make a statement at a news conference in Baltimore later today. Mikulski became the longest-serving woman in...
US Rep Dies
Sep 27, 2014 2:59 PM CDT
Ex-Con Former US Rep Dies After Tractor Accident
James Traficant was expelled from Congress in rare move
- Former Ohio Congressman James Traficant, who served time in jail on a corruption conviction, has died at 73 after a tractor accident , according to reports. The vehicle flipped over onto him while he was trying to park it, the AP reports. He spent four days in the hospital and died...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
Congressman-Elect, 25, Denied DC Apartment
Sword Swallower's Act Goes Very, Very Wrong
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.