Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Acupuncture Needle Pulled From Guy's Stomach After 40 Years
He'd received the treatment for pain in 1974
- It was 40 years ago that Xu Long had acupuncture to relieve stomach pain, and "the pain stopped immediately," he tells Central European News. But the treatment appears to have come with some serious complications. Xu had more recently been suffering from new pains in his back and...
Brazilian Alligator Gets ... Acupuncture?
It's a practice becoming more and more common with animals
- Bino's back was killing him. He was suffering from scoliosis. He couldn't move his legs, two of them anyway, and his tail just wouldn't swish. What's an albino alligator in that sort of health bind to do? Acupuncture, naturally. Bino lives at the Sao Paulo Aquarium,...
Male 'Virginity Test' Helps Free 3 in Rape Case
Ears never lie, says Vietnamese acupuncturist
- Men who have small red spots on the back of their ears are invariably virgins, according to celebrity Vietnamese acupuncturist Pham Thi Hong. Hong fought to free three convicted rapists from prison after she discovered that the men had the spots, the AP reports. Hong's determination to have the case...
Scientists Try to Solve the Mystery of Acupuncture
Researchers use modern medicine to test ancient therapy
- Western researchers are using high-tech tools to unlock the secrets of an ancient therapy: acupuncture. Neuroimaging studies show the practice can calm parts of the brain linked to pain and activate those linked to recuperation. Doppler ultrasounds, meanwhile, show that acupuncture increases blood flow. Carefully placed needles can even make...
Study: Even 'Fake' Acupuncture Eases Back Pain
Back pain sufferers reported less pain with or without needles being used
- Acupuncture without the puncture helped relieve back pain in a new study, Reuters reports. Researchers divided patients with chronic back pain into several groups and discovered that the groups who received conventional acupuncture with needles and those who received simulated acupuncture with toothpicks reported greater—and almost identical—pain relief...
Pentagon's New Painkiller: Ancient Chinese Medicine
Military doctors will start training medics in 'battlefield acupressure'
- US Air Force doctors deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan next year will have a new medical weapon in their arsenal: acupuncture. Military physicians, pleased with the success of treating wounded troops at home, will begin teaching battlefield medics how to fight severe or chronic pain by inserting tiny needles under...
Acupuncture Reduces Post-Op Pain: Studies
Patients needed less medication, had fewer side effects
- Acupuncture before or during surgery can reduce post-operative pain, researchers have found. Patients who received the nontraditional treatment reported less pain after various surgeries, needed less pain medication and suffered fewer side effects from the medication they took, according to 15 clinical studies reviewed by the team. "The use...
Even Fake Acupuncture Best for Back Pain
Chronic sufferers find relief in treatment
- Acupuncture has a far better success rate than other treatments for patients with chronic lower back pain, and fake acupuncture is nearly as effective as the real thing, a new study has found. Normal medical treatment produced significant improvement in 24% of people, while 47% of acupuncture patients felt...
Popular on Newser
Borat 'Defends' Giuliani
Exec Made Odd Request of Employees in Bad-News Call
Biden's Oil Remarks Are Resonating
Takeaways From the Trump-Biden Clash
Walmart Sues Feds in Opioid Abuse Battle
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.