Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
$1M Haul, Then
Killed Tax Hike on
Aug 13, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Sinema Received $1M Haul, Then Killed Tax Hike on Rich Investors
AP: Ariz. Dem saw big influx of cash over last year from private equity firms, hedge fund managers
- Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, the Arizona Democrat who single-handedly thwarted her party's longtime goal of raising taxes on wealthy investors, received nearly $1 million over the past year from private equity professionals, hedge fund managers, and venture capitalists whose taxes would've increased under the plan, per an AP review...
Gets 20 Months
Jun 29, 2022 6:30 PM CDT
Giuliani Ally Gets 20 Months
Fraud was 'a way of life' for Lev Parnas
: Lev Parnas, an associate of Rudy Giuliani who was a figure in former President Donald Trump's first impeachment investigation, was sentenced Wednesday to a year and eight months in prison for fraud and campaign finance crimes by a judge who said fraud had become “a way of...
Clinton Campaign, DNC
Fined Over Steele Dossier
Mar 31, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Clinton Campaign, DNC Fined Over Steele Dossier
FEC found they misreported spending on opposition research as 'legal services'
- Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign and the Democratic National Committee will pay for their alleged violation of campaign finance laws related to the infamous Steele dossier. The DNC has been fined $105,000 and the Clinton campaign has been fined $8,000 for not properly disclosing opposition research on...
Igor Fruman Sentenced: 'Shame
That Will Live With Me Forever'
Jan 22, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Igor Fruman Sentenced: 'Shame That Will Live With Me Forever'
Fla. man who helped Giuliani try to get dirt on Joe Biden sentenced to one year in foreign donor case
- A Florida man who helped Rudy Giuliani seek damaging information against Joe Biden in Ukraine was sentenced to a year and a day in prison and fined $10,000 Friday in an unrelated campaign finance case. Igor Fruman was told to report to prison March 14, per the AP . He...
Here Are the Big Cases
SCOTUS Will Hear This Term
Oct 4, 2021 11:31 AM CDT
Here Are the Big Cases SCOTUS Will Hear This Term
Abortion, gun rights, state secrets are on the docket
- The Supreme Court has begun a momentous new term, back in the courtroom after a nearly 19-month absence because of the coronavirus pandemic. Eight of the nine justices took the bench at 10am Monday for the first arguments of the new term. Justice Brett Kavanaugh is participating remotely from his...
Ex-French President Hit With
One-Year Prison Sentence
Sep 30, 2021 6:51 AM CDT
Ex-French President Hit With One-Year Prison Sentence
Nicolas Sarkozy found guilty of illegal campaign financing during his 2012 reelection bid
- For the first time in modern French history, a former president earlier this year was tried and convicted of corruption and sentenced to jail time. Now, that same president, Nicolas Sarkozy, has a new conviction under his belt, complete with an additional one-year prison sentence after being found guilty Thursday...
Democrats: DeJoy May
Have Broken the Law—Twice
Sep 8, 2020 6:27 AM CDT
Democrats: DeJoy May Have Broken the Law—Twice
He's accused of campaign finance violations, lying under oath
- House Democrats are calling for the immediate suspension of Postmaster General Louis DeJoy as they investigate alleged campaign finance violations . The USPS "never should have hired (him) in the first place," Rep. Carolyn Maloney, chair of the House Committee on Oversight and Reform, said late Monday, per the...
'I Will Resign
Dec 7, 2019 6:30 AM CST
Duncan Hunter: 'I Will Resign From Congress'
California Republican says he'll step down 'shortly after the holidays' amid campaign finance scandal
- He'd hinted earlier in the week he might step down from his congressional post, and on Friday, Rep. Duncan Hunter made it official. "Shortly after the holidays, I will resign from Congress," the Republican said in a statement, per the
. "It has been an honor...
All 4 Men in Probe of Giuliani
Associates Are in Custody
Oct 16, 2019 11:48 AM CDT
All 4 Men in Probe of Giuliani Associates Are in Custody
They are expected to appear in federal court Thursday
- The fourth and final man wanted in a campaign finance case involving Rudy Giuliani associates has been arrested. David Correia, the Florida man who was named in a grand jury indictment along with three other men on campaign finance violation charges, was taken into federal custody Wednesday at New York...
They Helped Giuliani in Ukraine.
Now They're in Handcuffs
Oct 10, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
They Helped Giuliani in Ukraine. Now They're in Handcuffs
Lev Parnas, Igor Fruman arrested on campaign finance violations
- Two Florida businessmen tied to President Trump's personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani have been arrested on campaign finance violations resulting from a $325,000 donation to a political action committee supporting Trump's reelection. Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman—both involved in the push to get Ukraine to investigate Joe...
Resignation Leaves Election
Watchdog in a Pickle
Aug 27, 2019 8:57 AM CDT
Resignation Leaves Election Watchdog in a Pickle
One FEC commissioner resigns, leaving only 3, one short of a quorum
- The Federal Election Commission is charged with making sure campaigns abide by the rules when it comes to raising and spending money. But the FEC now has a big problem with a much simpler kind of number: The resignation of one of its commissioners leaves the panel with only three...
Feds: Congressman Spent
Campaign Cash on 5 Affairs
Jun 26, 2019 2:48 AM CDT
Feds: Congressman Spent Campaign Cash on 5 Affairs
More legal woes for Rep. Duncan Hunter
- US Rep. Duncan Hunter of California illegally used campaign money to finance romantic flings with lobbyists and congressional aides, spending thousands of dollars on meals, cocktails, and vacations, federal prosecutors say. A government court filing Monday detailed allegations about the married Republican congressman's affairs with five women following an...
Trump Campaign Outraises
Top 2 Democrats Combined
Apr 15, 2019 12:21 AM CDT
Trump Campaign Outraises Top 2 Democrats Combined
Campaign says it was nearly all small donations
- President Trump's reelection campaign is set to report that it raised more than $30 million in the first quarter of 2019, edging out his top two Democratic rivals combined, according to figures it provided to the AP . The haul brings the campaign's cash on hand to $40.8...
Cohen Hearing Revealed
Who the Dems Really Want
Feb 27, 2019 7:00 PM CST
Cohen Hearing Revealed Who the Dems Really Want
And other immediate media reactions
- In his congressional testimony Wednesday, Michael Cohen blasted President Trump's character—"racist," "con man" and "cheat" aren't exactly endorsements—but so far the media is focused on Trump's possible law-breaking. The
New York Times
Wall Street Journal
are all leading...
'Beyond Surprising': Beto
Breaks Fundraising Records
Oct 12, 2018 12:45 PM CDT
'Beyond Surprising': Beto Breaks Fundraising Records
He raises $31.8M in 3 months in tight race against Ted Cruz
- Small-dollar donations have been the hallmark of the campaign of US Senate candidate Beto O'Rourke, who hasn't accepted PAC money in his attempt to grab Ted Cruz's Texas Senate seat. But like snowflakes that form an avalanche, all those more modest donations have converged to become what...
Giuliani: Trump Knew I Would
Talk About Stormy Payment
May 3, 2018 6:35 AM CDT
Giuliani: Trump Knew I Would Talk About Stormy Payment
Analysts say Giuliani might be wrong about Trump not being in campaign finance trouble
- President Trump might have reimbursed his lawyer for a hush-money payment to a porn star and then possibly lied about it, but at least he's off the hook for campaign finance violations, according to Rudy Giuliani's startling admission on Sean Hannity's show Wednesday night. Analysts say he...
Giuliani: Trump Repaid Lawyer
for Daniels Hush Money
May 3, 2018 12:51 AM CDT
Giuliani: Trump Repaid Lawyer for Daniels Hush Money
Her lawyer calls it a 'stunning revelation'
- President Trump's new lawyer directly contradicted Michael Cohen and the president himself in bombshell remarks on Fox Wednesday night. Rudy Giuliani told Sean Hannity that Trump reimbursed longtime personal lawyer Michael Cohen for a $130,000 "hush money" payment to Stormy Daniels, and the arrangement was "perfectly...
Report: Raid on Trump Lawyer
Was 'Striking in Its Breadth'
Apr 12, 2018 4:14 AM CDT
Report: Raid on Trump Lawyer Was 'Striking in Its Breadth'
Investigators demanded records on Access Hollywood tape
- The FBI raid on the offices of President Trump's personal lawyer was "striking in its breadth," sources say, with investigators demanding records including those relating to Trump's infamous
recording, in which he boasts about grabbing women. The
New York Times
, citing "three people...
That the FBI
Got a Search Warrant
for Cohen's Office Is Telling
Apr 10, 2018 6:51 AM CDT
That the FBI Got a Search Warrant for Cohen's Office Is Telling
FBI looking into alleged fraud, sources say
- The stunning FBI raid on the offices of President Trump's personal lawyer Monday happened because Michael Cohen is suspected of crimes including bank fraud and campaign finance fraud, insiders say. Sources tell the
that agents seized documents including Cohen's tax returns in raids on his offices,...
Sarkozy Taken Into Custody
Over Alleged Suitcases of Cash
Mar 20, 2018 5:36 AM CDT
Sarkozy Taken Into Custody Over Alleged Suitcases of Cash
Investigators examining claims he received millions from Moammar Gadhafi's regime
- Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy was placed in custody on Tuesday over allegations he received millions of dollars in illegal financing from the regime of the late Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi. A judicial source with direct knowledge of the case tells the AP that Sarkozy is being held at the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.