Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 1,721,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Abu Ayyub al Masri
False Alarm: Al-Qaeda Boss Still Loose in Iraq
Iraqis got the wrong guy, military says
- Iraqi officials jumped the gun yesterday when they announced the capture of the top commander of Al-Qaeda in Iraq, the US military said today. It turns out the man they captured isn’t Abu Ayyub al-Masri; he just has a similar name. The hunt for the real al-Masri, who has...
Prez Pushes Osama's Link to Insurgency
Commander-in-chief adamant al-Qaeda in Iraq is key branch of broader network
- President Bush insisted again yesterday that a Sunni insurgent group in Iraq is an integral part of Osama bin Laden's worldwide al-Qaeda network—-rebuffing several experts' claims to the contrary. Recent reports have suggested that Sunnis fighting under the "al-Qaeda in Iraq" banner are local insurgents with a weak...
Bush Contorts Qaeda Threat, Critics Charge
Iraqi insurgents' links to Bin Laden group said to be consistently misstated
- With George Bush using the words "al Qaeda" more than 30 times in his speech on Iraq yesterday, critics charge that he's persistently distorting links between the global Al Qaeda organization and the Iraqi insurgency. The Al Qaeda faction fighting in Iraq is largely an independent Iraqi phenomenon, the...
Qaeda in Iraq Deputy Killed, But Masri Still on Loose
But says top Al Qaeda in Iraq official
- Americans have killed a senior Al-Qaeda in Iraq deputy, but there's no evidence that the leader of the group died in fighting between rival factions, as the Iraqi government had claimed Tuesday. Muharib Abdul Latif al-Jubouri, killed in a Tuesday raid, was a minister of information for Al-Qaeda in Iraq.
Tribes Claim Al-Qaeda Head Killed by Rivals
Leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq said to be victim of Insurgent infighting
- The head of al-Qaeda in Iraq is dead, according to the Iraqi government. Abu Ayyub al-Masri was killed in a skirmish between rival groups of militants, officials said today, suggesting the possibility of exploitable rifts in the Sunni insurgency. The U.S. military has not verified the claim because a...
Popular on Newser
Trump's Order Could Upend 26 Key Words
Coach in Hot Water Over Posts About Minneapolis Death
Twitter Hides Trump Tweet on Minneapolis
YouTuber Under Fire Over Decision on Adopted Son
Wolverine Sighting Almost Too Rare to Be Believed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.