Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Female Anchors Cover Faces
Under New Taliban Order
May 22, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
Female Anchors Cover Faces Under New Taliban Order
Male colleagues in Afghanistan wear masks in solidarity
- Afghanistan's Taliban rulers on Sunday began enforcing an order requiring all female TV news anchors in the country to cover their faces while on the air. The move is part of a hard-line shift drawing condemnation from rights activists. After the order was announced Thursday, only a handful of...
A Plant Is Turning
a Meth Producer
May 8, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
A Plant Is Turning Afghanistan Into a Meth Producer
'Washington Post' says the country is experiencing a meth boom
- Afghanistan's poppy fields have helped make it a leader when it comes to opium production. Now another plant is transforming the country into a leading meth producer, report Susannah George and Joby Warrick for the
. The native plant is locally known as oman, but it's also...
Women Challenge Taliban Rule:
'This Isn't About Hijab'
May 8, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Women Challenge Taliban Rule: 'This Isn't About Hijab'
Some Taliban leaders look for workarounds on the restrictions in Afghanistan
- Arooza was furious and afraid, keeping her eyes open for Taliban on patrol as she and a friend shopped Sunday in Kabul's Macroyan neighborhood. The math teacher was fearful her large shawl, wrapped tight around her head, and sweeping pale brown coat would not satisfy the latest decree by...
May 7, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Taliban Just Resurrected a Hard-Line Mandate
Women once more have to wear face-covering burkas in public
- Afghanistan's Taliban leadership ordered all Afghan women to wear the all-covering burka in public, the ministry of vice and virtue said Saturday. The move evoked similar restrictions on women during the Taliban's previous hard-line rule between 1996 and 2001. "We want our sisters to live with dignity...
Taliban: No More TikTok
Apr 22, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Taliban: No More TikTok
Afghanistan's rulers say young people are being led astray
- The Taliban has been outlawing various products and activities since taking power in Afghanistan. TV shows with women in them were banned last fall, per CNN . Wine fell out of favor earlier this month. The latest prohibition reaches young people, the BBC reports: The use of TikTok and PUBG is...
Taliban Just Banned
Biggest Cash Crop
Apr 4, 2022 8:10 AM CDT
Taliban Just Banned Afghanistan's Biggest Cash Crop
After decades of financing the leaders, opium, other drugs get the boot
- The Taliban was in the restricting mood Sunday, banning opium poppy—which accounts for 80% of the world's supply of opium—along with wine, heroin, and other drugs. The Taliban has had an interesting relationship with opium, having repeatedly tried to ban the narcotic before using the crop to...
Booted From Flights
Mar 26, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Officials: Afghan Women Without Male Companions Booted From Flights
Unaccompanied women reportedly turned away from airport in Kabul, Afghanistan, on Friday
- Afghanistan's Taliban rulers refused to allow dozens of women to board several flights, including some overseas, because they were traveling without a male "guardian," two Afghan airline officials said Saturday. The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said dozens of women who arrived at Kabul's...
From the Taliban,
an 'Unexpected Decision'
Mar 23, 2022 7:48 AM CDT
From the Taliban, an 'Unexpected Decision'
Afghanistan's de facto rulers break promise, won't open schools to girls above 6th grade
- Afghanistan's Taliban rulers decided against opening schools to girls above the sixth grade, reneging on a previous promise and opting to appease their hardline base at the expense of further alienating the international community. The unexpected decision, confirmed by a Taliban official Wednesday, came at the start of the...
They Fled Afghanistan for US.
Now They Can't Find Homes
Mar 5, 2022 11:30 AM CST
They Fled Afghanistan for US. Now They Can't Find Homes
Tens of thousands of Afghans who escaped Taliban now face housing problems in America
- After fleeing her home in now-Taliban-controlled Afghanistan, Mozhgan Entazari did everything she could to find a new one for her family in the sunny, palm tree-lined communities of Southern California. The 34-year-old mother of two scoured options on Zillow with her husband, while the family lived at a hotel in...
Joe Biden's Worst Mistake
May Be Unfolding Right Now
Feb 22, 2022 11:28 AM CST
Joe Biden's Worst Mistake May Be Unfolding Right Now
Ezra Klein is referring to starving Afghans
- The worst mistake of the Biden administration might end up being Afghanistan, writes Ezra Klein in the
New York Times
. And no, he's not referring to the chaotic withdrawal of US troops. He's talking about what has unfolded since, what's unfolding
, and what will continue to...
Boy Stuck in Well for 3 Days
Dies Minutes After Rescue
Feb 18, 2022 10:16 AM CST
Boy Stuck in Well for 3 Days Dies Minutes After Rescue
'With great sorrow, young Haidar is separated from us forever'
- Two weeks after a 5-year-old boy died after falling into a well in Morocco, another 5-year-old has died in a very similar tragedy in Afghanistan. Officials say Haidar, who fell down a shaft while trying to "help" adults dig a new borehole in a drought-stricken village Tuesday, was alive...
Feb 12, 2022 12:30 PM CST
Afghans Protest Biden Order
Demonstrators oppose decision on frozen funds, demand compensation for war deaths
- Demonstrators in Afghanistan's capital Saturday condemned President Joe Biden’s order freeing up $3.5 billion in Afghan assets held in the US for families of America's 9/11 victims—saying the money belongs to Afghans. Protesters who gathered outside Kabul's grand Eid Gah mosque asked America for...
Feb 11, 2022 4:10 PM CST
Biden Divides Afghan Funds
Taliban object to president's plan to split $7B between humanitarian aid and families of 9/11 victims
- President Biden signed an executive order Friday to move toward unfreezing about $7 billion in Afghan reserve funds now held in the US. The administration locked down the money in August to keep it from the Taliban when they overthrew Afghanistan's government. Biden's plan would split the money,...
As Kabul Fell, a Last-Minute
Scramble to Evacuate: Report
Feb 2, 2022 8:50 AM CST
As Kabul Fell, a Last-Minute Scramble to Evacuate: Report
Critics question whether better planning from the Biden administration could have saved lives
- The Biden administration was working out crucial details of the civilian evacuation from Kabul even as the Taliban descended on the Afghan city, according to a document obtained by Axios . The National Security Council's summary notes from the Aug. 14 meeting of the Deputies Small Group—chaired by Homeland...
UN: After Taliban Takeover,
a Grim Number
Jan 31, 2022 6:28 AM CST
UN: After Taliban Takeover, a Grim Number
Report says 100-plus ex-Afghan, international forces killed since Taliban took over in August
- The United Nations has received "credible allegations" that more than 100 former members of the Afghan government, its security forces, and those who worked with international troops have been killed since the Taliban took over the country Aug. 15, according to Secretary-General Antonio Guterres. In a report obtained Sunday...
Biden to Taliban:
Release US Hostage
Jan 31, 2022 5:27 AM CST
Biden to Taliban: Release US Hostage
On 2nd anniversary of Mark Frerichs' kidnapping, president issues call for his release
- President Biden on Sunday called for the release of US Navy veteran Mark Frerichs, reports the AP , who was taken hostage in Afghanistan nearly two years ago. Frerichs, a civil engineer and contractor from Lombard, Ill., was kidnapped in January 2020 from the capital of Kabul. He is believed to...
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul,
but These Americans Just Did
Jan 27, 2022 6:29 AM CST
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul, but These Americans Just Did
Charter flight thought to have dozens of US citizens heads to Qatar amid flight groundings by Taliban
- Since November, Americans have had a tough time getting out of Kabul after the Taliban grounded most flights. This week, a chartered flight paid for by the US State Department and run by Qatar's Ministry of Foreign Affairs was finally able to depart the Afghan capital for Qatar with...
Veteran Gets Unexpected Gift
From Long-Dead Friend
Jan 24, 2022 8:51 AM CST
Veteran Gets Unexpected Gift From Long-Dead Friend
Edmonton Oilers T-shirt belonged to his best friend and fellow medic, killed in Afghanistan in 2008
- A Canadian veteran whose best friend and fellow service member was killed 13 years ago serving in Afghanistan got a surprise Christmas gift this year that drew out a cascade of feelings: his pal's Edmonton Oilers hockey T-shirt. The CBC reports on the emotional story of the friendship between...
In a First, Taliban Delegation
Is Heading to Europe
Jan 21, 2022 1:53 PM CST
In a First, Taliban Delegation Is Heading to Europe
Talks with the US are on the agenda
- A Taliban delegation will travel to Norway for talks with the Norwegian government and representatives from several allied countries, including the US, per the AP . The Norwegian Foreign Ministry said Friday that it has invited representatives of the Taliban to Oslo from Sunday to Tuesday to hold talks covering humanitarian...
New Video Shows
US Drone Strike
That Killed 7 Kids
Jan 20, 2022 8:31 AM CST
New Video Shows US Drone Strike That Killed 7 Kids
'We deeply regret the loss of life,' says US Central Command rep
- The Pentagon has released video footage of last year's botched drone strike in Kabul, Afghanistan, which killed 10 civilians, seven of them children. In two silent videos obtained by the
New York Times
through a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit, two drones observe a car backing into a walled...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
92 Tons of Popular Topping Recalled
Sentencing in Flight Attendant Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
The Clues Were Ingenious, but Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
Once the Vatican's No. 2 Man, His Legacy Was Marred
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.