Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops: Man Upset
Over Botched Meal
Oct 22, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Cops: Man Upset Over Botched Meal Torched Eatery
Choephel Norbu apparently flipped over not getting chicken biryani he wanted from Queens restaurant
- A Queens, NY, man is in hot water after he apparently got miffed over a screwed-up order at a Bangladeshi restaurant earlier this month and set the place on fire, according to court documents cited by NBC News . Security video shot early Oct. 2 outside Ittadi Garden & Grill in...
Oct 7, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Fire Scorches Easter Island's Iconic Statues
Authorities say the damage is 'irreparable'
- A forest fire that swept through a national park has done irreversible damage to some of Easter Island's most famous landmarks, authorities say. The fire scorched around 250 acres of an area that's home to numerous moai statues, the
reports. The huge stone figures are sometimes called...
Copter Fleet Is Grounded
Aug 31, 2022 7:35 AM CDT
Army's Workhorse Copter Fleet Is Grounded
400 Chinooks are grounded after engine fire risk is uncovered
- The US Army has grounded all of its 400 CH-47 Chinook helicopters after uncovering a risk of engine fires. The grounding of the entire fleet of Boeing workhorse copters—which CNN describes as "the Army's only heavy-lift cargo helicopter supporting combat and other critical operations"—was ordered...
in Sky to Replace
July 4 Fireworks
Jul 1, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
Across US, Giant 'Lite-Brite' in Sky to Replace July 4 Fireworks
Drones increasingly being used in lieu of traditional July 4 pyrotechnics due to fire, noise concerns
- Goodbye, fireworks finales; hello ... drone formations? That's what multiple cities across the US may be seeing this July Fourth weekend, with traditional pyrotechnics shows replaced with drone light extravaganzas—especially in the Southwest, where just one spark on the drought-affected landscape can set off an inferno. Axios reports this...
They Got Their Diplomas,
Then Rushed to the Fire
Jul 1, 2022 11:32 AM CDT
They Got Their Diplomas, Then Rushed to the Fire
6 Long Island teens are lauded for fighting blaze just minutes after high school graduation
- Last week was graduation week for many across Long Island, but several seniors from one school district said their final farewells to K-12 in a most unusual, and unexpected, way. Just minutes after the graduation ceremony at Port Jefferson High School had ended last Friday evening, a call came in...
Fire, Then Building Collapse
Kills Philly Firefighter
Jun 18, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Fire, Then Building Collapse Kills Philly Firefighter
4 other firefighters and a city inspector were pulled from the rubble and are now in stable condition
- One firefighter has died after being trapped in a building that caught fire in Philadelphia and then collapsed early Saturday, fire officials said. The fallen firefighter wasn't immediately identified, but Deputy Fire Commissioner Craig Murphy said he was a 27-year department veteran, per the AP . Four other firefighters and...
As 'Heartbreaking' Blaze Burns,
Thousands Just Won't Leave
May 6, 2022 7:26 AM CDT
As 'Heartbreaking' Blaze Burns, Thousands Just Won't Leave
Residents in Mora County, NM, refuse to evacuate amid largest US wildfire
- In the mountains north of Santa Fe, NM, residents are known for being able to tough things out. Which helps explain why thousands are now refusing to flee in Mora and San Miguel counties, where the nation's largest current wildfire is still raging, reports Reuters . It has scorched more...
Puerto Rico's 'Fragile' Grid
Sees Major Blackout After Fire
Apr 7, 2022 10:52 AM CDT
Puerto Rico's 'Fragile' Grid Sees Major Blackout After Fire
More than 1 million customers are without power across the island
- More than a million customers in Puerto Rico remained without electricity on Thursday after a fire at a main power plant caused the biggest blackout so far this year across the US territory, forcing it to cancel classes and shutter government offices. The blackout also left some 160,000 customers...
Deputy 'Engulfed' in Blaze
Raging Across Texas
Mar 19, 2022 8:49 AM CDT
Deputy 'Engulfed' in Blaze Raging Across Texas
Deputy Sgt. Barbara Fenley died while reportedly trying to check on an elderly resident
- Fire crews in Texas hope to make progress Saturday against a massive complex of wildfires that have killed one person and burned at least 50 homes, officials said. Winds were expected to diminish on Saturday, raising hopes for the attack on the flames, said a spokesman for the task force...
Porsches End Up
on Ocean Floor as
Cargo Ship Sinks
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 5, 2022 4:20 PM CST
Porsches End Up on Ocean Floor as Cargo Ship Sinks
Felicity Ace was being towed toward Portugal’s Azores Islands
Things have gone from bad to worse for the consumer who tweeted , "My car is now adrift, possibly on fire, in the middle of the ocean." That car isn't adrift anymore. The AP reports the large cargo vessel that ran into trouble in February while transporting...
They Thought It Was a Drill.
Then, 'People Were Running'
Feb 19, 2022 11:00 AM CST
They Thought It Was a Drill. Then, 'People Were Running'
Rescue is on for 12 missing after ferry catches fire off coast of Greece
- Rescue teams in Greece searched a burning ferry Saturday for 12 people believed to be missing after it caught fire in the Ionian Sea while en route to Italy, while passengers described a frightening evacuation from the ship. After working all night to try to extinguish the blaze that broke...
NJ Mayor: Overnight Blaze
'Worst That I've Ever Seen'
Jan 15, 2022 8:15 AM CST
NJ Mayor: Overnight Blaze 'Worst That I've Ever Seen'
Luckily, only one minor injury reported so far as firefighters continue battling fire at Passaic plant
- An 11-alarm fire that broke out Friday night at a New Jersey industrial complex continued to burn into Saturday morning, but hundreds of firefighters were able to keep the blaze from reaching the main portion of a chemical plant on-site and had contained the fire as of 7am, Passaic Mayor...
'This Is Probably One of the
Worst Fires I've Ever Been To'
Jan 5, 2022 10:09 AM CST
'This Is Probably One of the Worst Fires I've Ever Been To'
'Heavy fire' kills 13 in Philadelphia home
- At least 13 people are dead, seven of them children, in a Philadelphia house fire that Deputy Fire Commissioner Craig Murphy described as among the worst he has witnessed. "It was terrible," said Murphy, per CNN . "I've been around for 30, 35 years now, and this...
In This City,
Dozens of Fires
Dec 31, 2021 1:30 PM CST
In This City, Unlikely Suspects Have Started Dozens of Fires
Cats are being blamed for 100-plus blazes in Seoul homes over the past 3 years
- It's not unusual to hear about a young child starting a house fire after playing with matches or a lighter. In South Korea, however, one city is plagued by a different type of accidental arsonist. Seoul Metropolitan Fire & Disaster Headquarters reports that for the past three years—from...
Ruined a Winery's
Grapes. It Had a Plan
Dec 9, 2021 1:36 PM CST
California Wildfires Ruined a Winery's Grapes. It Had a Plan
Napa Valley's Pine Ridge Vineyards is now producing vodka made from the smoke-tainted fruit
- When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. When it hands you ruined grapes, make ... vodka? That's what Napa Valley's Pine Ridge Vineyards opted to do when its grape crops were sullied by smoke from last year's California wildfires, thanks in part to a partnership with an Almeda...
Finally, Cause of City's
'Stench of Death' Is Revealed
Dec 7, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Finally, Cause of City's 'Stench of Death' Is Revealed
Fire at California warehouse filled with beauty products led to plant die-off, which led to hydrogen sulfide in the air
- In early October, residents in Carson, Calif., started picking up on a noxious smell emanating from the Dominguez Channel, with dozens of complaints called in daily to the South Coast Air Quality Management District. Some even noted they were suffering from fatigue, headaches, and respiratory issues, reports the
'I Think We're Making History,'
Pilot Said. Then He Crashed
Nov 18, 2021 10:40 AM CST
'I Think We're Making History,' Pilot Said. Then He Crashed
Marc Olson died Tuesday during pioneer mission to battle Colorado wildfire at night
- A pilot who'd flown for 42 years—32 of those spent in the Army and Air Force— died Tuesday during a pioneering effort to fight a Colorado wildfire at night. Marc Thor Olson of CO Fire Aviation successfully completed a water drop over the Kruger Rock Fire in Larimer...
Convicted Arsonists Are
Executed En Masse in Syria
Oct 22, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Convicted Arsonists Are Executed En Masse in Syria
Human rights activists 'shocked' that 24 were put to death for 2020 wildfires
- Wildfires that swept through Syria last year were intentionally lit, and now 24 individuals linked to setting them have been executed, per the country's Ministry of Justice. Al Jazeera notes that while executions aren't uncommon in Syria, so many being killed at once is unusual. It's not...
Calif. Wildfires Deliver
a 'Heartbreaking' Loss
Oct 8, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Calif. Wildfires Deliver a 'Heartbreaking' Loss
Hundreds of giant sequoias are believed to have burned
- Northern California wildfires may have killed hundreds of giant sequoias as they swept through groves of the majestic monarchs in the Sierra Nevada, an official said Wednesday. "It's heartbreaking," Christy Brigham, head of resources management and science for Sequoia and Kings Canyon national parks, told the AP...
Special Blankets Helped Save
World's Biggest Trees
Sep 21, 2021 11:14 AM CDT
Special Blankets Helped Save World's Biggest Trees
Recent controlled burns also kept sequoias safe in California
- The general is safe, for now. The reference is to the world's biggest tree, known as General Sherman, in California's Sequoia National Park, reports NPR . Encroaching wildfires had forest workers scrambling to protect the ancient trees last week, and their efforts appear to have paid off. Not only...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
Iranian Patrol Boat Tries to Temporarily Blind US Navy Ships
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.