Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Teams Drill Holes
for Explosives in
Jul 4, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
Teams Drill Holes for Explosives in Remaining Structure
Officials worry storm will take bring building down at the wrong place
- Crews were setting up the part of the Florida condo building that's still standing for demolition on Sunday, while others were preparing the site for a tropical storm. Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said the Federal Emergency Management Agency recommended the structure be brought down, WPLG reports. Teams were...
Surfside Crews Plan
Demolition for Sunday
Jul 3, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Surfside Crews Plan Demolition for Sunday
Officials want operation to take place before storm hits but have details to work out
- Demolition workers plan to bring down the remainder of a collapsed condo building on Sunday ahead of an approaching storm that added to worries that the damaged structure could come down on its own, officials said Saturday. Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava, meanwhile, said two more bodies were found in...
City Is Auctioning Chance
to Dynamite Trump Plaza
Dec 17, 2020 7:21 AM CST
City Is Auctioning Chance to Dynamite Trump Plaza
Funds will benefit Atlantic City charity
- Part of President Trump's former empire is going to come crashing down next month—and Atlantic City wants to use the moment to raise money for a good cause. The former Trump Plaza Hotel & Casino is being dynamited on Jan. 29, and the city is auctioning off the...
'Robot' Building Is Coming Down
Nov 14, 2020 12:00 PM CST
'Robot' Building Is Coming Down
Unused building in Russia is slated for demolition
- A hulking, never-occupied building sardonically likened to a robot's head that has loomed over the Russian city of Kaliningrad for decades is to be demolished next year, the region's governor says, per the AP . The 21-story House of Soviets was left unfinished when funding ran out in 1985...
Is Set to Be Razed.
City Says Good Riddance
Nov 5, 2020 7:22 AM CST
$22M Mansion Is Set to Be Razed. City Says Good Riddance
Developer plans to demolish luxury Palm Beach residence formerly owned by Jeffrey Epstein
- The waterfront mansion in Palm Beach, Fla., formerly owned by Jeffrey Epstein is currently under contract, but don't expect to see it for much longer once the developer who bought it officially gets the keys. CNN Business reports the $22 million, 14,000-square-foot home along the Intracoastal Waterway will...
of Dallas' Designer
It Won't Fall
Feb 29, 2020 11:30 AM CST
'Leaning Tower of Dallas' Designer Explains Why It Won't Fall
Thomas Taylor is pretty amused, too
- The designer of the "Leaning Tower of Dallas" has been taking a wry pride in the stubborn resistance the creation is presenting to explosives and the wrecking ball, the AP reports. Thomas Taylor is the principal design engineer for Dallas-based Datum Engineers, which designed the 49-year-old, 11-story Affiliated Computer...
Still Won't Topple
Feb 24, 2020 5:17 PM CST
'Leaning Tower' Still Won't Topple
Wrecking ball is 'still just ineffective,' witness says
- The "Leaning Tower of Dallas," a social media sensation born when a part of a building survived implosion, endured hundreds of blows from a wrecking ball Monday. Dozens of people gathered northeast of the city's downtown to watch as a crane was used to batter the former...
Demo Company Makes
Worst Possible Mistake
Feb 22, 2020 10:30 AM CST
Demo Company Makes Worst Possible Mistake
JR's Demolition tore down the wrong house
- A Texas demolition company made a huge mistake Wednesday when it bulldozed the wrong house—and tore a hole in the heart of a neighborhood, the
reports. JR's Demolition levelled the Dallas property without realizing the correct address was two blocks away. "All the windows were intact,...
UK Demolishes One
of Its 'Ugliest Sights'
Aug 19, 2019 12:13 AM CDT
UK Demolishes One of Its 'Ugliest Sights'
Deadly accident delayed power plant demolition
- A British power station once voted one of the country's ugliest sights has been mostly destroyed in a controlled demolition. The cooling towers of the disused coal-fired plant in Didcot, 55 miles west of central London, were leveled early Sunday, the AP reports. The complex, including its massive towers...
Last Year It Collapsed. Watch
What Happened to It Friday
Jun 28, 2019 7:27 AM CDT
Last Year It Collapsed. Watch What Happened to It Friday
Morandi Bridge in Genoa, Italy, is taken down in planned explosion
- It's been almost a year since the Morandi Bridge collapse in Italy that killed 43. What remained of the bridge is now no more. CNN reports that after roads were shut down and about 4,000 people were evacuated from the area in Genoa, demolition workers carried out a...
This Is the
Final Nail in
the Coffin of
May 19, 2019 8:17 AM CDT
This Is the Final Nail in the Coffin of Bethlehem Steel
Defunct company's old headquarters demolished, and some are happy to see it go
- Sixteen thousand tons of Bethlehem Steel collapsed in a matter of seconds Sunday as a demolition crew imploded Martin Tower, the defunct steelmaker's former headquarters. Crowds gathered to watch the demolition of the Pennsylvania area's tallest building, a 21-story monolith that opened at the height of Bethlehem Steel'...
Cultural Center Crushed
as Demolition Goes Wrong
Apr 9, 2018 3:33 AM CDT
Cultural Center Crushed as Demolition Goes Wrong
Nearby silo toppled in the wrong direction
- Demolition experts successfully destroyed a 173-foot silo in the town of Vordingborg, Denmark, on Friday. Unfortunately, they also wrecked the adjacent cultural center after the demolition went spectacularly wrong, the
reports. In video of the botched demolition , onlookers can be heard shouting in alarm as the silo topples the...
Watch the Tallest Building in
Kentucky's Capital Come Down
Mar 12, 2018 7:11 AM CDT
Watch the Tallest Building in Kentucky's Capital Come Down
The 28-story Capital Plaza Tower is no more
- The tallest building in Kentucky's capital city came crashing down in a controlled implosion on Sunday, reports the AP , delighting thousands of onlookers who quickly scurried away to avoid the dust cloud that billowed overhead. Sunday's demolition of the 28-story Capital Plaza Tower in Frankfort will make way...
One of Our Biggest Domed
Stadiums Just Imploded
Nov 20, 2017 6:07 AM CST
One of Our Biggest Domed Stadiums Just Imploded
Georgia Dome is gone after a controlled destruction
- One of the nation's largest domed stadiums has been destroyed in a scheduled implosion in downtown Atlanta. Nearly 5,000 pounds of explosives were on hand to blast the Georgia Dome in Atlanta to smithereens Monday at 7:30am, per the AP . People gathered at windows of tall office...
Artist Dismantles Rosa Parks'
Old Home, Takes It Overseas
Oct 4, 2016 8:58 AM CDT
Artist Dismantles Rosa Parks' Old Home, Takes It Overseas
Ryan Mendoza on holding Detroit structure 'hostage' in Berlin: 'America ... it's going to cost you'
- What do you do if the blighted home your famous aunt once lived in is on the demolition list and you can't raise the funds to preserve it? In the case of Rosa Parks' former house in Detroit, her niece donated it to artist Ryan Mendoza, who took it...
Mystery Package Found
at Drug Lord's Old Mansion
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 24, 2016 2:40 PM CST
Mystery Package Found at Drug Lord's Old Mansion
Safe also stolen from Pablo Escobar's former property
- A mysterious package has emerged from a pink Miami Beach mansion once owned by Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar. The current owner, Chicken Kitchen founder Christian de Berdouare, bought the waterfront estate for $9.65 million in 2014 with the plan to tear down the old mansion, unaware of Escobar'...
Guy Leaves Town, Town Knocks His House Down
Nov 29, 2015 1:18 PM CST
Guy Leaves Town, Town Knocks His House Down
Returns from surgery to find officials had deemed it uninhabitable, demolished it
- When a US Navy veteran traveled from Long Island to Florida for a knee replacement, his house was the last thing on his mind. Philip Williams' home was demolished in the spring by Hempstead town officials while he spent about six months recuperating in Fort Lauderdale. Back in New York,...
Jan 30, 2014 9:32 AM CST
Syria Intentionally Demolishing Neighborhoods
Regime claims it's just 'urban planning,' not retaliation
- Syrian military forces have been systematically using bulldozers and controlled explosions to level entire neighborhoods in Damascus and Hama, in what appears to be an attempt to punish citizens for their rebel sympathies, Human Rights Watch alleges in a new report based on satellite images and witness testimony. The imagery...
Oct 24, 2013 9:38 AM CDT
Pulverizing of Sandy Hook School Begins
Closed from public, to be completed by shooting anniversary
- It was a plan months in the making , but construction crews this week began the take-down of Sandy Hook Elementary School. "Rarely has a major tear-down been conducted in such a hushed manner," observes the
Los Angeles Times
. Passers-by will have no view of the work site, which...
Ariel Castro's House
Aug 7, 2013 2:45 PM CDT
Ariel Castro's House Demolished
Victim Michelle Knight hands out balloons before demolition
- At Ariel Castro's expense , the house where he held his kidnap victims for more than 10 years was reduced to rubble today, the
Cleveland Plain Dealer
reports. Onlookers and media, assembled before dawn, saw kidnap victim Michelle Knight distribute balloons to neighbors before the demolition. The balloons were released,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brooke Shields Blasts Barbara Walters for 1980 Interview
Before His Execution, Man Confessed to Another Murder
Finally, Cause of City's 'Stench of Death' Is Revealed
Rittenhouse Rethinks Trip to Kenosha
More Bad News for Chris Cuomo
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.