Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Plane Race Ends
in Double Tragedy
Sep 18, 2023 9:11 AM CDT
Plane Race Ends in Double Tragedy
2 pilots killed in Reno, Nevada in collision upon landing; NTSB, FAA among those investigating
- Two pilots were killed when their planes crashed upon landing at an air racing event Sunday in Reno, authorities said. Officials with the Reno Air Racing Association said the planes collided at the conclusion of the T-6 Gold race around 2:15pm Sunday, per the AP . The pilots have been...
Collide at LAX
Feb 11, 2023 2:35 PM CST
Plane, Bus Collide at LAX
American airliner, which held no passengers, was being towed on LA taxiway
- An airliner being towed on a taxiway at Los Angeles International Airport collided with a shuttle bus on Friday night, injuring five people. The bus was carrying passengers, but the American Airlines Airbus A321 wasn't, the
New York Times
reports. The bus was carrying passengers between terminals, while the...
Florida Crash Is a
Tragedy for Beer Lovers
Sep 22, 2022 8:17 AM CDT
Florida Crash Is a Tragedy for Beer Lovers
Coors Light cans blanketed lanes of 1-75 after Wednesday's collision
- Four 18-wheelers crashed on a Florida highway Wednesday, turning the roadway into "a silver sea of beer cans," per the AP . A semi-truck had clipped another while changing lanes on 1-75 near Brooksville, about 30 miles north of Tampa, which forced other trucks to brake shortly after 6am....
Rocket Due to
Crash Into the Moon
Isn't From SpaceX
Feb 15, 2022 2:07 PM CST
Rocket Due to Crash Into the Moon Isn't From SpaceX
Expert says WE0913A is likely a Chinese rocket, launched in 2014
The space expert shouting about a rocket smashing into the moon says he made a big mistake. The item dubbed WE0913A is still projected to hit the dark side of the moon at 7:26am EST on March 4, but it's not the upper stage of a SpaceX...
Philly Turns Off Its Lights to
Save Birds From Violent Death
May 20, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Philly Turns Off Its Lights to Save Birds From Violent Death
Migrating birds disoriented by bright lights have been smashing into city's buildings
- It's migration time for North America's birds, with many already journeying north for their summer stay, and one US city has taken a seemingly unusual step to light our feathered friends' way: It's turning off its lights. About 20 buildings in Philadelphia are taking part in "...
Navy Announces Cause
Behind 2 Fatal Collisions
Nov 1, 2017 12:30 PM CDT
Navy Announces Cause Behind 2 Fatal Collisions
'Multiple failures' by sailors partly to blame for deaths of 17 others
- The Navy announced Wednesday that two collisions that killed 17 sailors over the summer were partly caused by "multiple failures" by service members in charge of making sure their ships didn't hit anything, the
reports. On June 17, the USS Fitzgerald hit a container ship off...
A North American
First: Drone Slams
Into Passenger Plane
Oct 16, 2017 9:02 AM CDT
A North American First: Drone Slams Into Passenger Plane
Luckily there were no injuries in incident over Quebec City airport
- In what the
says is a North American first, a drone slammed into a commercial airplane Thursday in the skies over Quebec City. "This should not have happened. That drone should not have been there," Canadian Transport Minister Marc Garneau said, per the CBC . The incident...
NASA to Chase
Asteroid That Has
Slight Chance of
Aug 6, 2016 1:29 PM CDT
NASA to Chase Asteroid That Has Slight Chance of Hitting Earth
But even if Bennu does strike in 170 years, it won't be end times
- There's an asteroid out there that
slam into Earth in about 170 years, but contrary to some recent scary-sounding headlines, it won't wipe out Earthlings if it does, reports Space.com . "We're not talking about an asteroid that could destroy the Earth," says Dante...
Duck Rider Heard
Driver Say 'Oh, No!'
Sep 25, 2015 7:11 AM CDT
Duck Rider Heard Driver Say 'Oh, No!'
Police investigating possible mechanical failure on Ducks vehicle
- Four people killed when a Ride the Ducks amphibious vehicle collided with a bus in Seattle yesterday have been identified as international students at North Seattle College. Authorities say they were among 48 staff and students from six countries who were touring the city on a chartered bus before classes...
4 Dead After
Sep 24, 2015 3:06 PM CDT
4 Dead After Duck Vehicle Hits Bus
12 others in critical condition
- Four people are dead in Seattle after a Ride the Ducks tour vehicle and a charter bus collided today. Twelve people are in critical condition, and 20 others have minor injuries, the
reports. The Ride the Ducks amphibious vehicle collided with the bus, which was carrying 45 students...
Golden Gate Bridge Taking First-Ever Weekend Off
Jan 9, 2015 7:08 AM CST
Golden Gate Bridge Taking First-Ever Weekend Off
Bridge will be shut down as traffic median is installed
- San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge has apparently banked plenty of PTO hours over the last 77 years—and this weekend it's using 52 of them. Starting at midnight tonight and continuing through 4am Monday, the bridge will be closed to cars so that a movable median barrier can...
Jul 29, 2013 2:25 PM CDT
Trains Collide Head-On in Switzerland
44 injured, 4 seriously
- It has been a bad month to be a train commuter: Canada , France , Spain , and now ... Switzerland, where two commuter trains collided head-on today, injuring 44, four seriously, reports CNN . Local TV says one person is yet to be recovered from the wreckage, the AP reports. The crash happened between...
Kids Dead After Mom Tries
to Skirt Train Crossing
Apr 3, 2013 12:11 PM CDT
Kids Dead After Mom Tries to Skirt Train Crossing
Girls, 5 and 4, killed in collision with train
- Tara Lewman drove up to a railroad crossing in Batavia, Iowa, on Monday afternoon, and stopped because the gates were down. To the east was a freight train parked on the tracks, and after an unknown length of time, she made the tragic decision to drive around the gates—and...
Bus Collision Kills
51 in Afghanistan
Sep 14, 2012 9:21 AM CDT
Bus Collision Kills 51 in Afghanistan
Plus: 6 civilians killed by mine
- A bus and truck collided and burst into flames in eastern Afghanistan today, killing at least 51 people. The collision occurred in Ghazni province on a highway that links the Afghan capital of Kabul with Kandahar, the largest city in the south. At least 51 of the 56 passengers on...
3 Missing After Trains
Collide in Oklahoma
Jun 24, 2012 4:15 PM CDT
3 Missing After Trains Collide in Oklahoma
Union Pacific Railroad collision sparks fire in remote area
- Three Union Pacific Railroad crewmembers were missing after two freight trains collided today in Oklahoma. An eastbound train carrying vehicles and a westbound train crashed about 10:08 a.m. near Goodwell in western Oklahoma, Union Pacific regional spokeswoman Raquel Espinoza said. A two-person crew was aboard each train, and...
Scientists Spar Over
Asteroid Apocalypse in 2036
Feb 7, 2011 6:46 PM CST
Scientists Spar Over Asteroid Apocalypse in 2036
1-in-250,000 chance that Apophis will hit Earth
- If that whole end-of-the-world thing doesn't work out next year, maybe the jig is up in 2036: Scientists are now saying that's the year an asteroid previously thought harmless (after having been deemed catastrophic before
might just plow into the Earth. A few Russian scientists are warning that Apophis,...
'Complacency' Faulted in
US Nuke Sub Crash
Nov 18, 2009 10:00 PM CST
'Complacency' Faulted in US Nuke Sub Crash
'Weak' command, lax standards prevailed aboard USS Hartford
- US Navy investigators are pinning blame for the March collision between a nuclear-powered submarine and another Navy ship on lax atmosphere and “weak” command aboard the USS Hartford, where sailors slept while they were supposed to be on watch, and the radio room was rigged up with music speakers....
Abbey Road Crosswalk
May Hit the Road
Aug 9, 2009 7:46 AM CDT
Abbey Road Crosswalk May Hit the Road
- The Abbey Road crosswalk made famous by the Beatles' album cover may be eliminated because hordes of fans are making it unsafe, say legislators. Accidents at the London intersection have climbed as an increasing number of fans pose on the striped crosswalk for photos, reports the
. “Maybe it...
in DC Train Crash
Jun 23, 2009 9:24 AM CDT
System, Driver Error Suspected in DC Train Crash
- Experts suspect yesterday’s deadly subway collision in Washington was the result of both a system failure and human error, the
reports. The city’s trains are run by onboard computers, which should, theoretically, prevent trains from colliding. The system has failed once before, in 2005, but the...
Six Dead, 70 Injured
in DC Subway Crash
Jun 22, 2009 6:46 PM CDT
Six Dead, 70 Injured in DC Subway Crash
- At least six are dead and 70 others injured after two subway trains collided during rush hour this evening in Washington DC, the AP reports. The incident is “developing into a mass casualty event,” a Metro spokesman told WJLA-TV. “We’re expecting a number of injuries.”...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.