Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
For an Encore,
Apr 9, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
For an Encore, Jack White Marries Onstage
Musician surprises girlfriend, families, and audience on his return to Detroit
- Jack White did about everything he could to make his return to his hometown of Detroit a day to remember. To mark Opening Day, he played "The Star-Spangled Banner" at Comerica Park on Friday before the Tigers won a walk-off thriller, the
reports. His new solo album,...
His First Pitch
Apr 4, 2021 3:43 PM CDT
Rookie Likes His First Pitch
Axil Baddoo homers in debut, touching off a parental celebration
- "Let your family know you're getting your first start on Sunday," Detroit Tigers manager AJ Hinch told Axil Baddoo, the
reports. That was a good call. Baddoo did play Sunday, smashing the first major league pitch he'd ever seen for a home run. It...
Hall of Famer
Was a Tiger
at 18, and
Apr 6, 2020 8:30 PM CDT
Hall of Famer Was a Tiger at 18, and for Life
Al Kaline had 3,000 hits and won 10 Gold Gloves in right field
- Fresh off the train and only 18 years old, Al Kaline ran into an immediate roadblock trying to join the Detroit Tigers. Called up to the majors, he couldn't get past the security guards at Briggs Stadium. "I finally convinced them I was the guy who just signed...
Minor Leaguer Killed in
Sep 3, 2019 4:34 AM CDT
Minor Leaguer Killed in Skateboard Accident
Chace Numata was 27
- A sad day for the Detroit Tigers: Chace Numata, a catcher in his first season with the team's Double-A Erie affiliate, died Monday from injuries he suffered in a skateboarding accident Friday. Police say surveillance video showed the 27-year-old riding his skateboard through downtown Erie, Pa., around 2am on...
Dies at 87
Feb 11, 2017 11:18 AM CST
Founder of Little Caesars Dies at 87
Mike Ilitch also owned the Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Tigers
- Billionaire businessman Mike Ilitch, who founded the Little Caesars pizza empire before buying the Detroit Red Wings and the Detroit Tigers, and won praise for keeping the professional sports teams in the city as others relocated to new suburban stadiums, has died. He was 87. His family released a statement...
Detroit Tigers Pitcher
Jun 1, 2016 8:22 AM CDT
Detroit Tigers Pitcher Contracted Zika
Francisco Rodriguez said he didn't feel like himself for 2 whole months
- When he's not pitching for the Detroit Tigers, Francisco Rodriguez heads home for some R&R in his native Venezuela. But the 34-year-old came back from the last offseason with more than just memories: He contracted the Zika virus , and it wasn't pleasant, ESPN reports. For two entire...
MLB Dream to Come True
Apr 8, 2016 12:24 PM CDT
Holocaust Survivor's MLB Dream to Come True
Hermina Hirsch to sing national anthem at Detroit Tigers game
- Hermina Hirsch has sung the national anthem at weekly meetings of Holocaust survivors for decades, but she always dreamed of having a larger audience. Now she'll get her chance. After telling her family her dream of singing at an MLB game, a granddaughter reached out to the Detroit Tigers,...
Oct 14, 2013 7:20 PM CDT
One Industry Booming in Detroit? Pro Sports
While city goes broke, players and teams are flush with cash
- It isn't all doom and gloom in Detroit. At least one industry is still making bank, reports the
New York Times
: Pro sports. The Tigers have the highest salaries in the league. The Lions recently offered their quarterback $53 million for another three years. And the Pistons just spent...
Ex-NFL Player Arrested
Twice In One Day
May 8, 2013 8:40 AM CDT
Ex-NFL Player Arrested Twice In One Day
Once for DUI, once for allegedly breaking into impound to get car back
- Any out-of-work NFL player can get arrested for DUI. But it takes a special kind of dedication to get arrested 15 hours later for breaking into an impound lot in broad daylight in an attempt to get your car back. Titus Young allegedly has that dedication; police tell the
Giants' Posey Are MVPs
Nov 15, 2012 6:52 PM CST
Tigers' Cabrera, Giants' Posey Are MVPs
They helped lead their teams to the World Series
- Detroit's Miguel Cabrera won the American League's Most Valuable Player award today after becoming baseball's first Triple Crown winner in 45 years. San Francisco's Buster Posey was voted the National League honor. (Bleacher Report has a slide show with specifics here .)
Cabrera received 22 of
Oct 28, 2012 10:51 PM CDT
Giants Sweep Tigers, Win World Series
San Francisco beats Detroit 4-3 in 10 innings
- The San Francisco Giants needed extra innings this time, but they beat the Detroit Tigers for the fourth straight game to sweep the World Series. Detroit made a game of it, and even led for the first time all series, but the Giants' Marco Scutaro hit a two-out single in...
Giants Go Up 3-0 in Series
Oct 27, 2012 10:34 PM CDT
Giants Go Up 3-0 in Series
San Francisco shuts out Detroit again
- San Francisco moved to within one win of the championship by shutting down the Detroit Tigers once again tonight and taking a 3-0 lead in the World Series. The Giants won 2-0 for the second consecutive night, this time as the away team. Detroit just can't seem to get...
Giants Go Up 2-0 in Series
Oct 25, 2012 11:45 PM CDT
Giants Go Up 2-0 in Series
San Francisco beats Detroit 2-0
- Madison Bumgarner pitched two-hit ball over seven innings as the San Francisco Giants beat the Detroit Tigers 2-0 tonight to take a 2-0 World Series lead. Small ball decided the game, with a bunt in the 7th inning playing a big role in the first run and a sac fly...
3 HRs as Giants
Win Game 1
Oct 25, 2012 12:01 AM CDT
Sandoval Slams 3 HRs as Giants Win Game 1
San Francisco takes World Series opener at home against Detroit
- Pablo Sandoval made this one easy for the San Francisco Giants. He hit three home runs in his first three at-bats as the Giants cruised to an 8-3 victory over the Detroit Tigers in Game One of the World Series tonight. Sandoval is just the fourth player in history to...
Oct 18, 2012 7:16 PM CDT
Baseball Rarity: Yankees Get Swept by Tigers
It wasn't even close
- It's a tough night to be a Yankees fan. The Detroit Tigers thumped the Yanks 8-1 tonight to sweep the ALCS and advance to the World Series. How bad was it?
The Yankees not only failed to win a game, they never even led one, points out the
Jeter Out for Season
as Yanks Lose Opener
Oct 14, 2012 3:03 AM CDT
Jeter Out for Season as Yanks Lose Opener
Shortstop breaks ankle as Tigers win 6-4
- The Detroit Tigers took the lead on Delmon Young's ringing double in the 12th inning. Then came the blow that really staggered the New York Yankees. A little grounder up the middle left Derek Jeter sprawled in the dirt, screaming in pain. The Yankees had lost more than the...
of Tigers Wins
Oct 3, 2012 9:57 PM CDT
Rare Feat: Miguel Cabrera of Tigers Wins Triple Crown
He wins batting, HR, and RBI titles; Yankees make the playoffs
- Miguel Cabrera has won baseball's first Triple Crown in 45 years, achieving one of the game's greatest feats. Cabrera topped the American League with a .330 batting average, and he also led the league with 44 home runs and 139 RBIs. He is only the 15th player to...
Tigers Player Faces
Hate Crime Charges
Apr 27, 2012 4:09 PM CDT
Tigers Player Faces Hate Crime Charges
Delmon Young accused of shouting anti-Semitic remarks during fight
- An outfielder for the Detroit Tigers was arrested in New York City early this morning and could be charged with a misdemeanor hate crime. Delmon Young, 26, was involved in the incident outside his hotel around 2:30am. The
New York Post
reports that a panhandler wearing a yarmulke was...
Texas Romps, Heads
Back to World Series
Oct 16, 2011 2:14 AM CDT
Texas Romps, Heads Back to World Series
Rangers rout Detroit 15-5 in Game 6 of ALCS
- After waiting until their 50th season to reach their first World Series, the Texas Rangers are going right back. Nelson Cruz had one more big blast, Michael Young caught the final out long after hitting a pair of doubles in one of the highest-scoring postseason innings ever and the Rangers...
Rangers Tame Tigers
3-2 in ALCS Opener
Oct 9, 2011 8:07 AM CDT
Rangers Tame Tigers 3-2 in ALCS Opener
Verlander and Co. can't get it done in rain-delayed game
- A few minutes past midnight, the Texas Rangers had one more victory over Justin Verlander—and the Detroit Tigers lost yet another wet playoff opener started by their ace. "If anywhere in the country has a drought, just bring me in and I'll fix that," Verlander said...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
US Downs Chinese Balloon Off South Carolina Coast
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.