Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Last Month, a 'Rewrite
of Climate History'
Aug 5, 2019 5:21 AM CDT
Last Month, a 'Rewrite of Climate History'
July 2019 was hottest month ever on Earth, climate agency confirms
- "We have always lived through hot summers. But this is not the summer of our youth. This is not your grandfather's summer." That's what UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres told reporters last week, and on Monday, final data came in to verify his assertion. The EU's...
Its Hottest Month
Aug 2, 2019 5:35 PM CDT
Earth Endured Its Hottest Month Ever Recorded
Final data will be in on Monday
- Last month was the hottest ever recorded, either equaling or surpassing July 2016—we'll know which on Monday. Preliminary data from the Copernicus Climate Change Service runs through July 29 and found the monthly global average temperature anomaly was 1.2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels. The final data...
Think the Last 4 Years
Were Hot? Brace Yourself
Feb 7, 2019 4:16 AM CST
Think the Last 4 Years Were Hot? Brace Yourself
British meteorologists are predicting the next five years will be hotter
- While 2018 was the fourth-warmest year on record, British meteorologists are predicting the next five years will be much hotter, maybe even record-breaking. Two US agencies, the United Kingdom Met Office, and the World Meteorological Organization analyzed global temperatures in slightly different ways, but each came to the same conclusion...
Iran City May Have Tied
Record for Hottest Temperature
Jun 30, 2017 6:40 AM CDT
Iran City May Have Tied Record for Hottest Temperature
It was a brutal 129 in Ahvaz
- Temperature records melted away in the city of Ahvaz, Iran Thursday—French agency MeteoFrance estimates the afternoon temperature at a sweltering 128.7 Fahrenheit, which is the hottest temperature ever recorded in Iran. But Weather Underground data suggested it went even higher, to 129.2 Fahrenheit or 54 Celsius, reports...
February Weather Sparks
Talk of 'Climate Emergency'
Mar 14, 2016 6:58 AM CDT
February Weather Sparks Talk of 'Climate Emergency'
Worldwide, February smashed temperature record by huge margin
- The combination of El Niño and man-made global warming added up to the hottest winter on record in the US, according to federal meteorologists. The average temperature for the Lower 48 states from December through February—known as meteorological winter—was 36.8 degrees Fahrenheit, 4.6 degrees above...
'Off the Chart'
Jul 20, 2015 2:30 PM CDT
'Off the Chart' Temperatures Break Records Worldwide
Shocking heat is 'getting to be a monthly thing,' says scientist
- Earth dialed the heat up in June, smashing warm temperature records for both the month and the first half of the year. Off-the-charts heat is "getting to be a monthly thing," says Jessica Blunden, a climate scientist for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. "This is the...
Scientists: Here's Why
Climate Change 'Paused'
Feb 10, 2014 5:23 PM CST
Scientists: Here's Why Climate Change 'Paused'
High winds are forcing heat underwater—at least for now
- Global-warming skeptics,
: A new study says that the recent pause in global warming is caused by strong trade winds in the Pacific Ocean that will eventually subside, the
reports. According to the study , sharply higher winds in the central and eastern parts of the Pacific have pushed...
Odd, New Climate Change
Turning Point: 2047
Oct 9, 2013 6:10 PM CDT
Odd, New Climate Change Turning Point: 2047
That's when the coldest year will be the hottest on record: study
- Feeling the effects of climate change, but not worrying too much yet? Mark this year: 2047. That's when, for most of the world, the coldest year in the future will be hotter than any in recorded history, according to a new study published in
. It's sort of...
Oct 16, 2011 4:36 PM CDT
Climate Change Makes Animals, People 'Shrink'
Warmer, drier weather makes plants and animals get smaller
- Plants, polar bears, and people are among the living things likely to shrink thanks to global warming, scientists say. Drawing on several scientific papers, the
reports that warmer, drier weather makes plants and animals get smaller, which reduces food supplies for those higher up the food chain. "The...
AVERAGE TEMP: 89.1
Aug 8, 2011 5:29 PM CDT
Okla.'s July Was Hottest US Month on Record
Texas also set its own record for hottest July
- Sweltering may have reached a new record last month, as Oklahoma racked up the country's highest monthly average temperature ever. That's the highest average temperature, for any month, for any state, associate Oklahoma state climatologist Gary McManus said. According to automated weather recording instruments, the state's average...
NASA: Last Decade
Warmest on Record
Jan 22, 2010 5:00 AM CST
NASA: Last Decade Warmest on Record
2009 was second warmest year since 1880
- The decade ending in 2009 was the warmest since modern record-keeping began in 1880, according to new data released by NASA. Based on surface temperature, the year 2005 was the hottest on record, followed by 2009. The data showed an upward temperature trend of about 0.36 degrees Fahrenheit per...
1,000 Flee Raging SoCal Wildfire
Apr 27, 2008 4:21 PM CDT
1,000 Flee Raging SoCal Wildfire
Record temperatures signal worrisome fire season
- Roughly 1,000 people abandoned 400 California homes today as firefighters battled a blaze in the Sierra Madre foothills, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. The fire spread through some 400 acres, and containment is not expected for days. Record-setting temperatures are to blame for the blaze marking an early start...
March Land Temperatures
Hit Record High
Apr 18, 2008 4:05 AM CDT
March Land Temperatures Hit Record High
But US has average month
- This March was the world's warmest ever on record over land surfaces—and the second warmest overall, AP reports. Land temperatures worldwide averaged 40.8 degrees Fahrenheit, 3.2 degrees above the 20th-century average. Over land and sea, only 2002 saw higher temperatures in 129 years of record-keeping, adding to...
Scorching '07 Sets New Global Record
Jan 16, 2008 5:02 AM CST
Scorching '07 Sets New Global Record
Hottest ever for global lands
- Last year was the hottest on record for global land masses, with temperatures almost 2 degrees warmer than usual, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Scorching heat waves socked Asia, Europe and the USA, where 2,000 daily temperature peaks were busted. It's an undeniable trend with seven...
Popular on Newser
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
Fetterman Camp Strikes Gold With Dr. Oz's Crudite Video
Boy Paralyzed in Parade Shooting Is 'Hopeless'
Liz Cheney Loses Her Primary
College Students' Road Trip Ends in Deadly Shootout
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.