Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei
Stories 1 - 20 |
Iran's Khamenei: Israel
Risks a 'Heavier Slap'
Oct 10, 2023 11:42 AM CDT
Iran's Khamenei: Israel Risks a 'Heavier Slap'
Supreme leader denies helping Hamas with the attack over the weekend
- Iran's supreme leader says his nation had no role in the surprise Hamas attack on Israel, despite allegations to the contrary . But Ayatollah Ali Khamenei nonetheless praised the assault, reports Reuters . "We kiss the hands of those who planned the attack on the Zionist regime," said Khamenei...
Cops: She Was
Detained for Hijab
Sep 17, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Cops: She Was Detained for Hijab 'Education.' Now She's Dead
Outrage in Iran after witnesses say Mahsa Amini died after being beaten by 'morality police'
- The existence of Iran's "morality police"—authorities who patrol the streets to ensure Islamic code on how women dress is being followed—has been increasingly under fire there, and a young woman's death this week has just exacerbated the backlash. Witnesses say 22-year-old Mahsa Amini died...
Chaos at the Gas Pumps:
Oct 27, 2021 6:50 AM CDT
Chaos at the Gas Pumps: 'Cyberattack 64411'
Hackers hit gas stations across Iran
- Long lines outside gas stations and an eyebrow-raising message were apparently the handiwork of hackers in Iran, where a cyberattack caused chaos Tuesday into Wednesday. "Cyberattack 64411" was what greeted some motorists at pumps instead of access to gas, according to the semiofficial ISNA news agency, which notes those...
Jan 22, 2021 2:14 PM CST
Confusion Abounds Over Tweet Showing 'Golfing Trump'
Twitter suspended 'fake' Khamenei account over apparent threat, but Iranian leader's site has the pic
- Log onto the website of Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and an unusual photo appears on the homepage: a graphic representation of a man who appears to be Donald Trump, playing golf in a red shirt. Look more closely, however, and the image turns more ominous, with the...
From US, Britain
Can't Be Trusted
Jan 8, 2021 3:30 PM CST
Iran: Vaccine From US, Britain Can't Be Trusted
With more than 1.3M infections, nation already is struggling to contain outbreak
- Calling them "completely untrustworthy," Iran has prohibited importing coronavirus vaccines produced by the US or Britain. Ayatollah Ali Khamenei made the announcement Friday in a televised address, the
reports. "It's not unlikely they would want to contaminate other nations," he said. Mentioning the Pfizer...
Sorry for Killing
Off Queen, 99 Others
Nov 17, 2020 10:36 AM CST
Radio Station Sorry for Killing Off Queen, 99 Others
Obituaries mistakenly published during RFI website work
- Dozens of political leaders, cultural figures, and celebrities did not die en masse on Monday, though anyone perusing the website of Radio France Internationale might have thought otherwise. Obituaries for roughly 100 people were mistakenly published—and some automatically picked up by partner sites such as Google, Yahoo, and MSN—...
to 'Clown' Barb
From Iran's Leader
Jan 18, 2020 6:00 AM CST
Trump Responds to 'Clown' Barb From Iran's Leader
'He should be very careful with his words!'
- First there was MAGA; now there's MIGA. That stands for "Make Iran Great Again," which was President Trump's message to Iranian leadership Friday during a tense tweet-off between himself and Ayatollah Ali Khameini. This week, for the first time since 2012, Khameini delivered a Friday sermon,...
Iran's Supreme Leader
Calls Trump a 'Clown'
Jan 17, 2020 7:40 AM CST
Iran's Supreme Leader Calls Trump a 'Clown'
Khamenei delivers first Friday sermon in Tehran in 8 years
- In his first Friday sermon in Tehran in eight years, Iran's supreme leader said President Trump is a "clown" who only pretends to support the Iranian people but will "push a poisonous dagger" into their backs. Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said the mass funerals for Iran's top...
Iran: We Didn't Shoot
Jan 13, 2020 6:54 AM CST
Iran: We Didn't Shoot at Protesters
Things are getting ugly in Tehran after downing of Ukrainian plane
- The latest escalating tensions between the US and Iran involves the people of Iran themselves. Per Reuters , protesters gathered for a third day Monday in Iran, after a violent weekend that pitted the demonstrators against riot police. Video circulating on social media showed the latter beating protesters with batons, security...
Pompeo: Saudi Oil Attack
an 'Act of War' by Iran
Sep 18, 2019 3:13 PM CDT
Pompeo: Saudi Oil Attack an 'Act of War' by Iran
As Trump hits Iran with new sanctions
- President Trump may have hedged on officially naming Iran as the party responsible for the weekend attack on Saudi oil facilities, but he lowered the financial kibosh on Tehran on Wednesday morning, Bloomberg reports. "I have just instructed the Secretary of the Treasury to substantially increase Sanctions on the...
Iran's Supreme Leader: No
Talks With the US at Any Level
Sep 17, 2019 12:07 AM CDT
Iran's Supreme Leader: No Talks With the US at Any Level
He rules out meeting of presidents at UN
- Iran's supreme leader announced on Tuesday that "there will be no talks with the US at any level"—remarks apparently meant to end all speculation about a possible US-Iran meeting between the two countries' presidents at the United Nations later this month. Iranian state TV quoted Ayatollah...
Iran to US: Diplomacy Is Done
After 'Stupid,' 'Idiotic' Sanctions
Jun 25, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Iran to US: Diplomacy Is Done After 'Stupid,' 'Idiotic' Sanctions
President Rouhani calls WH 'mentally retarded' as tensions escalate
- Amid a series of escalations with the United States, Iran says it's throwing in the towel on finding a diplomatic way toward peace after the White House's latest round of sanctions, with name-calling thrown in for good measure. "Imposing useless sanctions ... is the permanent closure of the...
'Planes Were in the Air'
When Iran Strike Called Off
Jun 21, 2019 6:55 AM CDT
'Planes Were in the Air' When Iran Strike Called Off
Schumer warns US could be 'bumbling into war'
- A US strike on Iran in retaliation for the downing of a US drone was reportedly abruptly called off Thursday night—but it was a plan firmly in motion at the time, according to the
New York Times .
Senior administration officials tell the
that "planes were in the...
US Tells Non-Essential
Embassy Staff to Leave Iraq
May 15, 2019 6:41 AM CDT
US Tells Non-Essential Embassy Staff to Leave Iraq
Iranian leader issues veiled threat
- The US Embassy in Iraq says the State Department has ordered all non-essential, non-emergency government staff to leave the country right away amid escalating tensions with Iran. The security alert , published on the embassy's website on Wednesday, comes after Washington last week said it had detected new and urgent...
Supreme Leader of Iran
Rebuffs Trump's Talks Offer
Aug 13, 2018 9:25 AM CDT
Supreme Leader of Iran Rebuffs Trump's Talks Offer
Calls US government 'duplicitous,' but also says 'there will be no war'
- If anyone was unsure what Iran's supreme leader thought of President Trump's offer to hold talks after the US reimposed "the most biting sanctions" on Iran last week, all doubt has been removed, per Reuters . "I ban holding any talks with America. … America never remains...
Iran Lawmakers Burn
US Flag, Nuclear Deal
May 9, 2018 5:32 AM CDT
Iran Lawmakers Burn US Flag, Nuclear Deal
France says the deal isn't dead
- President Trump's decision to pull the US from the Iran nuclear deal drew a fiery response from conservative Iranian lawmakers Wednesday—during the opening session of the country's parliament, they burned a paper American flag and the text of the 2015 deal, chanting "Death to America."...
Saudi Prince Makes
Rare Concession to Israel
Apr 3, 2018 10:31 AM CDT
Saudi Prince Makes Rare Concession to Israel
Mohammed bin Salman says Israelis have right to live on their own land
- The crown prince of Saudi Arabia is in the midst of a long US trip looking to drum up business and support for the kingdom he may inherit soon, and Mohammed bin Salman has made headlines with a newly published interview in the
on two points:
Iran's Primary Schools
Can No Longer Teach English
Jan 7, 2018 5:03 PM CST
Iran's Primary Schools Can No Longer Teach English
Move comes as Tehran blames US in part for recent unrest
- Iran's primary schools are no longer permitted to teach English over fears that such early lessons could open the door to a Western "cultural invasion," reports Reuters . An education official announced on state-run TV Saturday that the rule applies to both public and private institutions. "Teaching...
Iran Judge Says Protesters
Could Be Executed
Jan 2, 2018 6:41 AM CST
Iran Judge Says Protesters Could Be Executed
Trump seeks international support for protests
- The death toll in the protests sweeping Iran is now at least 20—and it could end up a lot higher under a recommendation from the head of Tehran's Revolutionary Court. According to Iran's semi-official Tasnim News Agency, Mousa Ghazanfarabadi said Tuesday that some of the hundreds of...
State TV: Protesters Have
Attacked Iran Military Bases
Jan 1, 2018 6:26 AM CST
State TV: Protesters Have Attacked Iran Military Bases
At least 12 killed, report says
- At least 12 people have been killed in the ongoing protests in Iran , and armed protesters have tried to take over police stations and military bases, state TV reported Monday. The protests began Thursday in Mashhad over economic issues and have since expanded to several cities, with some protesters chanting...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.