Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge Hands Green Advocates
Big Win on Offshore Drilling
Jan 28, 2022 1:00 AM CST
Judge Hands Green Advocates Big Win on Offshore Drilling
Scraps White House plan to sell oil and gas leases in Gulf of Mexico
- A federal court has rejected a plan to lease millions of acres in the Gulf of Mexico for offshore oil drilling, saying the Biden administration did not adequately take into account the lease sale's effect on planet-warming greenhouse gas emissions, per the AP . The decision Thursday by US District...
Biden Suspends Another
Big Trump Program
Jun 2, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
Biden Suspends Another Big Trump Program
Suspends oil, gas leases in the Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
- The Biden administration on Tuesday suspended oil and gas leases in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, reversing a drilling program approved by the Trump administration and reviving a political fight over a remote region that is home to polar bears and other wildlife—and a rich reserve of oil....
Trump Announces U-Turn
on New Offshore Drilling
Sep 8, 2020 6:37 PM CDT
Trump Announces U-Turn on New Offshore Drilling
'Trump is the great environmentalist,' he says
- President Trump expanded a ban on new offshore drilling Tuesday, an election-year reversal likely to appeal to voters in Florida and other coastal states. Two years ago, Trump took steps to vastly expand offshore drilling from coast to coast. "This protects your beautiful gulf and your beautiful ocean, and...
Coming Soon to Sprawling
Alaska Refuge: Oil Drills
Aug 17, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Coming Soon to Sprawling Alaska Refuge: Oil Drills
Interior secretary makes controversial move on Arctic territory
- A giant wildlife refuge in Alaska home to caribou and polar bears will soon have something new on the landscape: oil and gas drills. The Department of the Interior on Monday approved a program to dole out drilling leases for a 1.6-million-acre coastal plain in the Arctic National Wildlife...
BP Abandoning Alaska
After 6 Decades
Aug 28, 2019 3:30 AM CDT
BP Abandoning Alaska After 6 Decades
Company plans to sell assets to Texas firm
- BP plans to sell its interests in Alaska's once prodigious North Slope to a company seen as having a reputation of giving new life to aging fields. The sale to Hilcorp Alaska, an affiliate of Texas-based Hilcorp Energy Co., would be worth $5.6 billion, and include interests in...
Judge: 'Trump Exceeded
His Authority' on Oil Drilling
Mar 30, 2019 2:05 PM CDT
Judge: 'Trump Exceeded His Authority' on Oil Drilling
But the American Petroleum Institute disagrees
- President Donald Trump exceeded his authority when he reversed bans on offshore drilling in vast parts of the Arctic Ocean and dozens of canyons in the Atlantic Ocean, a US judge said in a ruling that restored the Obama-era restrictions, the AP reports. Judge Sharon Gleason in a decision late...
Judge Blocks Wyoming
Drilling, Cites Climate Change
Mar 21, 2019 8:03 AM CDT
Judge Blocks Wyoming Drilling, Cites Climate Change
Governor criticizes, but environmental advocates sees decision as 'Holy Grail'
- A judge blocked oil and gas drilling across almost 500 square miles in Wyoming and said the US government must consider climate change more broadly as it leases public land for energy exploration. The order marks the latest in a string of court rulings over the past decade that have...
BP: An Oil Spill
Apr 7, 2018 7:25 AM CDT
BP: An Oil Spill Would 'Boost' Local Economies
But Australia's regulators weren't convinced
- Two years ago, BP applied to drill for oil off the Australian coast. Now government letters show that BP praised the "welcome boost" local economies could receive doing cleanup in an oil spill, the
Sidney Morning Herald
reports. Australia's National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority—or...
Zinke Abruptly Changes Course
on Florida Offshore Drilling
Jan 10, 2018 12:20 AM CST
Zinke Abruptly Changes Course on Florida Offshore Drilling
He now says it's 'off the table'
- The Trump administration said Tuesday it wouldn't allow oil drilling off the coast of Florida, abruptly reversing course under pressure from Republican Gov. Rick Scott. Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke said after a brief meeting with Scott in Tallahassee that drilling will be "off the table" when it comes...
Trump Plans to Open 90%
of Offshore Land to Drilling
Jan 4, 2018 2:18 PM CST
Trump Plans to Open 90% of Offshore Land to Drilling
'Beyond reckless,' says one environmentalist
- In a move environmental groups are calling "absolutely radical" and "beyond reckless," the Trump administration is planning the largest sale on leases for offshore drilling in US history. CNBC reports the proposal, announced Thursday by Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke, would open 90% of the US'...
Trump Administration Takes
Step to Reopen Arctic to Drilling
Sep 16, 2017 10:34 AM CDT
Trump Administration Takes Step to Reopen Arctic to Drilling
Interior Dept. wants to allow seismic studies in ANWR
- The 19.6 million-acre Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska is an important, well, refuge for young caribou and migrating birds. And—citing an Aug. 11 memo from the Interior Department—the
reports the Trump administration is taking steps to open it to drilling for the first time...
GOP Control Brings the
Return of 'Drill, Baby, Drill'
Feb 23, 2017 8:26 PM CST
GOP Control Brings the Return of 'Drill, Baby, Drill'
Lawmakers renew push for oil drilling in Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
- Following in her father's footsteps, US Sen. Lisa Murkowski is sponsoring legislation to open Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling, the AP reports. With a Republican Congress and president, she's hopeful that the timing is right. The coastal plain is a nursery for polar bears,...
First Photos of Reef
at Amazon's Mouth Stun
Jan 30, 2017 11:55 AM CST
First Photos of Reef at Amazon's Mouth Stun
But environmentalists worry oil drilling could soon put 600-mile-long reef at risk
- Last year, scientists made an amazing discovery under the mud and muck at the mouth of the Amazon River: a long-rumored 600-mile-long coral reef. Now the first images of the natural phenomenon are emerging, captured from a sub sent 720 feet down into the murky waters off a Greenpeace boat,...
Old California Earthquakes
May Have Been Man-Made
Nov 2, 2016 3:59 PM CDT
Old California Earthquakes May Have Been Man-Made
Scientists see link to oil drilling in early 1900s
- The Los Angeles Basin has the reputation of being a dangerous place when it comes to earthquakes, but a new study suggests that reputation might be overstated. Two scientists with the US Geological Survey looked at the region's biggest quakes between 1900 and 1935 and found that we humans...
Atlantic Oil Drilling
Mar 16, 2016 1:02 AM CDT
Obama Blocks Atlantic Oil Drilling
Offshore proposal reversed after protests
- In a major reversal, the Obama administration said Tuesday it will bar oil drilling off America's Atlantic Coast, a move cheered by environmentalists and consistent with the president's aggressive steps to combat climate change, the AP reports. Interior Secretary Sally Jewell said the decision "protects the Atlantic...
Obama: Go Ahead,
Shell, Drill Deeper
for That Arctic Oil
Aug 18, 2015 9:03 AM CDT
Obama: Go Ahead, Shell, Drill Deeper for That Arctic Oil
Environmentalists lambast decision, saying it will 'worsen climate disruption'
- President Obama has disappointed a slew of environmental activists by giving Shell the green light yesterday to drill deeper in the Arctic for oil, Quartz reports. The approval issued by the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement expands the oil company's current permissions, allowing it to drill even further...
Obama Accepts Science,
Chooses to Ignore It
May 13, 2015 2:05 PM CDT
Obama Accepts Science, Chooses to Ignore It
His decision on Shell in the Arctic is a joke, writes Bill McKibben
- President Obama's decision to give Shell the green light to drill in the Arctic is an environmental abomination, writes Bill McKibben in the
New York Times
. Shell and the entire fossil fuel industry have been ignoring warnings for years about the Arctic, and yet now that it's clearly...
to Ban Drilling in
Chunk of Alaska
Jan 26, 2015 4:19 AM CST
Obama Moves to Ban Drilling in Chunk of Alaska
Alaskan senators outraged by 'lawless' proposal
- In a move that has the state's Republicans boiling with rage, President Obama has moved to seek protection for a vast wildlife habitat in Alaska. The president says he plans to ask Congress to preserve the "amazing wonder" of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge by declaring 12 million...
Oil-Rich Area Sees
Spike in Baby
Oct 27, 2014 4:53 PM CDT
Oil-Rich Area Sees Spike in Baby Deaths
13 infant mortalities in Vernal, Utah, raise questions
- Thirteen baby deaths in one part of Utah last year have some locals and scientists asking whether oil drilling is to blame, the
reports. Almost 12,000 gas and oil wells add to air pollution in Vernal, Utah—one of the nation's most energy-intensive areas—but many...
Obama Approves Sonic Gun for East Coast Oil Search
Jul 18, 2014 1:17 PM CDT
Obama Approves Sonic Gun for East Coast Oil Search
Eastern Seaboard will be open for exploration in 2018
- The Obama administration is opening the Eastern Seaboard to oil exploration for the first time in decades, it announced today, and it's approving the use of a controversial sonic cannon in the effort. Companies will be able to apply for permits from Delaware to Florida in 2018, when the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
Canceled Flight Leads to a Most Unusual Road Trip
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.