Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Olympic Medal Sells for $488K:
'Hitler Must Have Gone Crazy'
Oct 19, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Olympic Medal Sells for $488K: 'Hitler Must Have Gone Crazy'
Silver medal won by Germany's Luz Long, who embraced gold winner Jesse Owens at '36 Games
- The silver medal captured by Luz Long, the German long jumper who befriended Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, sold at auction for more than $488,000, a sum the auction house said was a record price for a publicly sold second-place prize. Long walked arm in arm...
IOC Reinstates Wins of
'Most Remarkable Athlete'
Jul 15, 2022 8:36 AM CDT
IOC Reinstates Wins of 'Most Remarkable Athlete'
Jim Thorpe is now in the record books as sole winner of 2 golds at 1912 Games
- Jim Thorpe, one of history's greatest and most versatile athletes, has finally been restored as the sole winner of two events at the 1912 Stockholm Olympics. The Native American athlete was stripped of the two gold medals more than six months after the Games when it emerged that he...
I Was Attacked
With Metal Pipe
Jul 12, 2022 11:49 AM CDT
US Olympian: I Was Attacked With Metal Pipe
Kim Glass says she suffered facial fractures in encounter with random 'homeless man' in LA
- Former US Olympian Kim Glass is warning people to keep their heads on a swivel while out and about in Los Angeles after a man attacked her with a metal pipe. The 6-foot-3 volleyball player and 2008 Olympic silver medalist posted a series of videos to Instagram over the weekend,...
Swimmer: I Was Drugged
After World Championships
in case you missed it
Jul 10, 2022 12:08 PM CDT
Swimmer: I Was Drugged After World Championships
Canada's Mary-Sophie Harvey writes of an hours-long window she can't recall
- Mary-Sophie Harvey’s second-to-last Instagram post shows her wearing a big smile in the pool at the World Aquatic Championships in Budapest, Hungary, where she took home a bronze medal in the women’s 4x200-metre freestyle relay in June. Her last post describes the horror that happened afterward. "On...
Most Decorated US Runner
Is Making This Her Last Season
Apr 14, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Most Decorated US Runner Is Making This Her Last Season
It 'isn't about the time on the clock, it's simply about joy,' Allyson Felix says
- Allyson Felix, who closed the Tokyo Games last year with more Olympic medals than any US track and field athlete in history, says she'll retire after the 2022 season. "This season isn't about the time on the clock, it's simply about joy," Felix said in...
Mikaela Shiffrin's Olympic
Nightmare Now Includes 'Hate'
Feb 17, 2022 12:42 PM CST
Mikaela Shiffrin's Olympic Nightmare Now Includes 'Hate'
Skier highlights abusive comments after failing to medal in individual events
- For the first time in her career, Mikaela Shiffrin will leave an Olympic Games without an individual medal around her neck. The US alpine skier missed her last chance for an individual medal in Beijing when she crashed Thursday during the slalom leg of the women's combined event, of...
China Freaks Out as
Eileen Gu Wins Gold
Feb 8, 2022 6:33 AM CST
China Freaks Out as Eileen Gu Wins Gold
Praise of the US-born Olympian temporarily crashed Weibo
- One gold medal down, two to go for Eileen Gu. The US-born athlete from China nabbed victory in big air, her first Olympic event, on Tuesday, after pulling off her first ever 1620 with a perfect landing. That earned her a 94.5 score on her third and final run,...
China Loves This Olympian.
America Has Mixed Feelings
Feb 1, 2022 12:17 PM CST
China Loves This Olympian. America Has Mixed Feelings
18-year-old Eileen Gu, born and raised in US, will compete for China as its best chance for gold
- Eileen Gu "is, without debate, the most dominant woman in freeskiing," per ESPN . The 18-year-old San Francisco native is therefore the favorite to win gold in big air, halfpipe, and slopestyle freestyle skiing events at the Beijing Olympics. But if she does, those medals won't be counted...
Olympic Medalist Charged
With $10M PPP Loan Fraud
Dec 20, 2021 7:53 AM CST
Olympic Medalist Charged With $10M PPP Loan Fraud
Speed skater Allison Baver allegedly used some of the funds to invest in an Elijah Wood film
- A Utah speed skater who picked up a bronze medal at the 2010 Olympics and participated in the two Winter Games before that has been indicted and charged with making false statements to get her hands on millions in COVID relief loans. Per a release from the US Attorney's...
US Gold Medalist: Racists
Nov 12, 2021 12:15 AM CST
US Gold Medalist: Racists Pepper-Sprayed Me
Suni Lee recounts incident in interview
- Suni Lee is an Olympic gold medalist in gymnastics and a hero in the Hmong community of Minnesota as a result. But in an interview with Pop Sugar , the 18-year-old reveals that she's also the target of the same abuse directed at other Asian-Americans. Lee recounts to the site...
15 Months After
His Daughter Is Born
Oct 29, 2021 12:34 PM CDT
15 Months After Olympian's Death, His Daughter Is Born
Alex Pullin's widow gave birth to Minnie Alex in Australia through IVF procedure
- Fifteen months after the sudden death of Olympic gold medalist Alex "Chumpy" Pullin, his newborn daughter has arrived. The Australian snowboarder's widow, Ellidy Pullin, on Thursday announced the birth of Minnie Alex, conceived through in vitro fertilization. "Your Dad and I have been dreaming of you for...
Aussie Gold Medalist
Hospitalized With COVID
Sep 20, 2021 6:02 PM CDT
Aussie Gold Medalist Hospitalized With COVID
'I feel extremely unlucky,' says Madison Wilson
- Australian swimmer Madison Wilson has been hospitalized with COVID-19 less than two months after she won a gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics. The 27-year-old, who is fully vaccinated, says she tested positive while in Italy for an International Swim League event, reports the
. In an Instagram post Sunday,...
Won Gold Thanks
Got Him to the Race
Aug 12, 2021 8:54 AM CDT
Hurdler Who Won Gold Thanks Volunteer Who Got Him to the Race
Hansle Parchment almost missed his chance at Olympic medal after he went to wrong venue
- If your mother always told you give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport, or to your Olympic 110-meter hurdling competition, we hope you've listened. Hansle Parchment will likely leave the house way early from now on, after the Jamaican hurdler almost missed his chance to compete...
'I Wish She Had
Dead at 24
Aug 11, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
'I Wish She Had Said Something': Ex-Olympic Cyclist Dead at 24
Earlier on the day of her death, Olivia Podmore posted a since-deleted Instagram post
- On Monday, former Olympic cyclist Olivia Podmore posted a since-deleted Instagram post that talked about the pressures faced by top athletes. By Monday evening, the 24-year-old from New Zealand was dead. A police rep told Reuters that police were called to "a sudden death" at a property in Waikato...
Out of Biles'
Shadow, a New
for Team USA
Jul 29, 2021 9:11 AM CDT
Out of Biles' Shadow, a New Gold Medalist for Team USA
18-year-old gymnast Suni Lee of Minnesota takes top honors at women's all-around finals
- Much of the talk of late regarding women's gymnastics at the Summer Olympics has centered on the US' Simone Biles , who dropped out of multiple events to focus on her mental health, but one of her teammates just earned her own big headline. Sunisa Lee, 18, took home the...
Jul 28, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Biles Experienced a Gymnast's 'Worst Nightmare’
Gymnasts speak out on the dangers of the 'twisties'
- In describing the shaky landing of her Tuesday vault routine at the Tokyo Olympics—after which Simone Biles withdrew from the team and all-around individual competitions —the world's most decorated gymnast said she'd had "a little bit of the twisties." Considering she was attempting to...
For This Former Olympian,
It's a Trip to Prison
Jul 27, 2021 11:53 AM CDT
For This Former Olympian, It's a Trip to Prison
Australia's Nathan Baggaley sentenced to 25 years for 2018 cocaine-smuggling plot
- A two-time Olympic silver medalist and three-time world kayaking champion has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for his role in a failed $150 million cocaine-smuggling plot. Australia's Nathan Baggaley, 45, and his brother Dru, 39, were convicted in April of attempting to smuggle 650 kilograms of cocaine...
'We Cried, Then We Swore,
Then We Cried Again'
Jul 22, 2021 1:43 PM CDT
'We Cried, Then We Swore, Then We Cried Again'
4 Czech athletes at Olympics test positive for COVID, and team doctor may be to blame
- Four athletes and two staffers from the Czech Olympic team have tested positive for COVID in Tokyo, and the team doctor is getting blamed in the media back home. On Thursday, the team announced that volleyball players Marketa Slukova-Nausch and Barbora Hermannova were barred from playing after their positive tests,...
Olympic Swimmer Arrested
After Cops Find $1.5M in Meth
Feb 15, 2021 6:25 PM CST
Olympic Swimmer Arrested After Cops Find $1.5M in Meth
Scott Miller won silver for Australia in 1996
- Australian Olympic swimmer Scott Miller avoided prison time after earlier drug busts—but the latest one could put him away for a long time. The 45-year-old was arrested Tuesday morning after a huge stash of crystal meth was found concealed in candles during raids in Sydney, the
If the Olympics Happen,
This 11-Year-Old Will Be There
Mar 6, 2020 9:43 AM CST
If the Olympics Happen, This 11-Year-Old Will Be There
Organizers continue debate what to do amidst the coronavirus epidemic
- An 11-year-old girl from Syria is set to become the fifth-youngest Olympian in history. The
reports Hend Zaza qualified for the Tokyo Games in table tennis, a sport that has no minimum age, upon winning a qualifying tournament in Jordan last week. Hend, who is ranked 155th in the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Forecasters Warn of Generational Cold
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
China: Let's Stay Calm About This Alleged Spy Balloon
Police: Actually, No Evidence We Headed Off Mass Shooting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.