Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
Outgoing VA Chief Takes
Parting Shot at White House
Mar 29, 2018 10:36 AM CDT
Outgoing VA Chief Takes Parting Shot at White House
David Shulkin says he was forced out over privatization; new pick is 'Doc' Ronny Jackson
- That President Trump fired his embattled Veterans Affairs secretary on Wednesday is no big surprise. After all, David Shulkin had been on the outs with the White House over reports of improper spending and policy differences . Far more surprising is Trump's pick to replace him: White House physician Ronny...
US Army Veteran Deported
to 'Dangerous Area' of Border
Mar 26, 2018 5:33 AM CDT
US Army Veteran Deported to 'Dangerous Area' of Border
Miguel Perez Jr. served 2 tours in Afghanistan before a drug-charge conviction
- "This is a deplorable way to treat a veteran who risked his life in combat for our nation," is Illinois Sen. Tammy Duckworth's characterization of what has happened to Miguel Perez Jr . The Mexico-born 39-year-old spent roughly three decades as a legal permanent resident here, she says....
Gunman, 3 Hostages Dead
at Calif. Veterans Home
Mar 10, 2018 6:15 AM CST
Gunman, 3 Hostages Dead at Calif. Veterans Home
Albert Wong, 36, had been expelled from the facility
- A hostage standoff at a California veterans home ended Friday with a grim discovery: four dead bodies, including the gunman's. Authorities say Albert Wong, 36, a decorated Army rifleman, crept into the Veterans Home of California-Yountville with a high-powered rifle and held three mental health workers hostage for hours...
Hostage Situation at Largest
Veterans Home in US
Mar 9, 2018 5:43 PM CST
Hostage Situation at Largest Veterans Home in US
Police have gunman, 3 hostages surrounded at Veterans Home of California
- Three people were being held hostage by a gunman Friday afternoon at the largest veterans home in the US, CNN reports. According to KCRA , shots were reported fired in the dining room of the Veterans Home of California in Napa Valley around 10:20am. Authorities say the gunman, who is...
Caught by Camera, Nurse
Now Charged With Murder
Feb 22, 2018 9:35 AM CST
Caught by Camera, Nurse Now Charged With Murder
2 others indicted in James Dempsey's 2014 death
- Nurses fired after a video appeared to show them ignoring a World War II veteran's calls for help before his death at a Georgia nursing home are now facing criminal charges, including a murder charge in one case. A grand jury on Tuesday indicted former licensed nurse Loyce Pickquet...
Facing Deportation, Army
Vet Says He'd Rather Die
Feb 2, 2018 12:30 PM CST
Facing Deportation, Army Vet Says He'd Rather Die
Miguel Perez Jr. began a hunger strike on Wednesday
- An Army vet and longtime green card holder has begun a hunger strike after failing to block his deportation to Mexico, which could be imminent because of a felony drug conviction. Fearing drug cartels will kill him after a failed attempt to recruit him for his military background, 39-year-old Miguel...
Speechless After Return to US
Dec 22, 2017 12:29 AM CST
Deported Ex-Marine Speechless After Return to US
Marco Chavez was deported 15 years ago
- Former Marine Marco Chavez could not sleep the night before he was set to cross the border and return to the United States, a country he considers home, after he was deported to Mexico 15 years ago. When Chavez finally walked into the United States through the Tijuana-San Diego border...
Ex-Marine Who Missed 3 Kids'
Childhoods Coming Back to US
Dec 19, 2017 12:10 AM CST
Ex-Marine Who Missed 3 Kids' Childhoods Coming Back to US
Marco Chavez was deported for minor offense in 2002
- A former Marine deported to Mexico 15 years ago after he was convicted of a minor offense has won his fight to return to the United States and regain his permanent US residency. Marco Chavez tells the AP that he's looking forward to reuniting with his three sons in...
Study Suggests Old Parasite
Is Killing Vietnam War Vets
Nov 22, 2017 2:00 AM CST
Study Suggests Old Parasite Is Killing Vietnam War Vets
It can take decades for symptoms of the cancer to appear
- A half a century after serving in Vietnam, hundreds of veterans have a new reason to believe they may be dying from a silent bullet—test results show some men may have been infected by a slow-killing parasite while fighting in the jungles of Southeast Asia. The Department of Veterans...
Hidden-Camera Footage Shows
a Veteran's Callous Death
Nov 18, 2017 7:29 AM CST
Hidden-Camera Footage Shows a Veteran's Callous Death
James Dempsey fell unconscious; later, laughter is heard
- In a video deposition, Wanda Nuckles answered questions about the 2014 death of a patient under her watch in the affirmative: Yes, she began doing chest compressions on 89-year-old James Dempsey after being told he had stopped breathing at the Georgia nursing home where she was a nursing supervisor. Yes,...
They Weathered War,
PTSD, and Prison.
Nov 13, 2017 11:04 AM CST
They Weathered War, PTSD, and Prison. Love Prevailed
The 'New York Times' has the story of Samuel Siatta and Ashley Volk
- A loop of blue dental floss is one of Ashley Volk's treasured possessions, and it's introduced at the start of a
New York Times
article on a moving story of a modern love that overcame great obstacles. The Chicago woman first spotted it on the ring finger of...
Oct 20, 2017 12:45 PM CDT
Retired Navy SEAL Calls Out TV Impostor
John Garofalo lied about service, awards
- Fox News has issued an apology after airing an interview with a US veteran who, it turns out, was not the hero he claimed to be. Introduced on the network Oct. 8 as a former Navy SEAL who served in Vietnam and earned 22 commendations and two Purple Hearts, John...
Medal of Honor
'Hell' to Save 10
Aug 1, 2017 10:15 AM CDT
Medal of Honor Recipient Endured 'Hell' to Save 10
James McCloughan honored for his bravery in Vietnam
- Saving a life may be a common bucket-list entry, but it's one that's rarely checked off. James McCloughan could've done so 10 times over two days in 1969. Ignoring his lieutenant's orders to evacuate Nui Yon Hill in Vietnam after shrapnel cut into his head and...
Army Veteran, 70, Fired
for Confronting Shoplifters
Jul 17, 2017 12:00 PM CDT
Army Veteran, 70, Fired for Confronting Shoplifters
Jim Tinney violated store policy at Home Depot
- A 70-year-old Army veteran has been fired from a Houston-area Home Depot after trying to stop suspected shoplifters from taking thousands of dollars' worth of merchandise. Jim Tinney says he was fired last month from the store in Pearland. Tinney acknowledges he was trained to not confront shoplifters and knows...
74 Years After Crashing in
India, WWII Vet Returns Home
Jun 8, 2017 12:53 PM CDT
74 Years After Crashing in India, WWII Vet Returns Home
1st Lt. Robert Eugene Oxford's remains were flown to Georgia on Thursday
- More than 70 years ago, a US Army plane was headed for India on a supply mission. It never arrived, and no one went looking for the doomed aircraft or the eight men on board because military officials had no way of pinpointing where it went down. All signs of...
Opioid Theft Still Rampant
at VA Centers: Report
May 29, 2017 8:32 AM CDT
Opioid Theft Still Rampant at VA Centers: Report
New AP investigation shows that rate more than double private sector despite crackdown
- Feds have launched dozens of new criminal investigations into possible opioid and other drug theft by workers at Veterans Affairs hospitals, a sign the problem isn't going away despite new efforts. Data obtained by the AP show 36 cases opened by the VA inspector general's office from Oct....
111 Years Old
May 13, 2017 12:24 PM CDT
America's Oldest Veteran Turns 111 Years Old
Richard Overton credits God and cigars for his longevity
- America's oldest veteran, Texas resident Richard Overton, turned an impressive 111 years old on Thursday, Live Science reports. According to the
, Overton served in the Pacific during WWII and has lived in the same house in Austin ever since. He credits his longevity to God and cigars,...
Veteran Accused of Executing
Service Dog Found Dead
May 8, 2017 1:50 AM CDT
Veteran Accused of Executing Service Dog Found Dead
Cops suspect suicide in death of Marinna Rollins
- A veteran in North Carolina accused of laughing as she executed her own service dog has been found dead in what police suspect was a suicide. The Fayetteville Police Department says 23-year-old Marinna Rollins was found dead in her apartment around 3am Sunday morning, the
reports. Rollins and...
When Vet's Body
Strangers Stepped In
Jan 19, 2017 4:00 PM CST
When Vet's Body Went Unclaimed, Strangers Stepped In
Lawrence Kays will get full military funeral on Friday
- When US Army veteran Lawrence Kays died of heart disease at Christus St. Vincent Hospital in Sante Fe on Nov. 16 at age 78, there were no family members gathered around him. Nor have any turned up to claim his body in the months since. Indeed, Kays' body sat at...
US Will Pay $2.2B to Marines
Sickened by Toxic Water
Jan 13, 2017 12:02 AM CST
US Will Pay $2.2B to Marines Sickened by Toxic Water
900K were exposed over more than 30 years
- The Obama administration has agreed to provide disability benefits totaling more than $2 billion to veterans who were exposed to contaminated drinking water while assigned to Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. Beginning in March, the cash payouts from the Department of Veterans Affairs may supplement VA health care already being...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
Her Photo Was Used for Story About 'Fat' Women. Now She's Suing
Cops Can't Find Mom, Kids Who Were Staying With Flash Star
Moments After Teen's Death, the Alleged Cover-Up Began
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.