Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Jun 2, 2021 2:28 PM CDT
Residents Want Crackdown After 91-Year Old's Scooter Death
LA driver charged with DUI
- A 91-year-old man in Los Angeles' Venice neighborhood died after he was hit by one of the area's ubiquitous electric scooters, police say. The man, identified by the coroner's office Tuesday as Yin Wu, hit his head on the pavement and was pronounced dead at the scene. The...
Company Lays Off 406
People in 'Chilling' Fashion
Apr 11, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Company Lays Off 406 People in 'Chilling' Fashion
One Bird employee says 'it felt like a Black Mirror episode'
- There are many ways to lay people off—and then there's Bird's way. "It should go down as a poster child of how not to lay people off, especially at a time like this," says one employee. Similar quotes are rippling through a dot.LA article...
Everywhere. With That,
a Disturbing Trend
Jan 9, 2020 12:40 PM CST
E-Scooters Are Everywhere. With That, a Disturbing Trend
Number of injury cases has tripled over 5-year period
- An "explosion" of electric scooter riders has led to a more disturbing (but maybe not surprising) spike. The
San Francisco Chronicle
reports that the number of injuries caused by the two- or three-wheeled vehicles tripled in five years' time, per a study published in the
Oct 11, 2019 1:56 PM CDT
Cop Charged After 2nd Shooting With Similar Details
Sheriff's deputy Lauren Michael charged with assault after scooter incident in Kansas City
- A 29-year-old sheriff's deputy in Jackson County, Mo., has been charged with felony assault and criminal action, and an investigation has been launched regarding a 2017 incident for which she'd received a medal of valor. "Laws that protect law enforcement's actions are a high hurdle for...
Video Shows Man Allegedly
Cutting E-Scooter Brakes
Oct 3, 2019 8:20 AM CDT
Video Shows Man Allegedly Cutting E-Scooter Brakes
Fort Lauderdale police arrest Randall Williams, 59
- A 59-year-old Florida man is apparently not a fan of electronic scooters—or the people who ride them. Police in Fort Lauderdale released a video they say shows Randall Williams cutting the brake line of a Lime public scooter, reports Gizmodo . Police are investigating whether Williams is the same person...
Atlanta to Order
Streets at Night
Aug 8, 2019 7:00 PM CDT
Deaths Prompt Atlanta to Order Scooters Off Streets at Night
Other cities are considering regulations
- Atlanta is banning electric scooters in the nighttime hours during what's been a deadly summer for riders. Cities across the nation are struggling to regulate the companies renting the devices and keep riders safe, the AP reports. In Atlanta, three riders have died since May in crashes that involved...
Where Are Portland's
Scooters? Check the River
Jun 29, 2019 2:40 PM CDT
Where Are Portland's Scooters? Check the River
Police pull nearly 60 from Willamette River
- For anyone in Portland struggling to find an e-scooter to ride, the police have an explanation: Someone is dumping them in the Willamette River. The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office pulled 57 from the water, apparently tossed there from a downtown sea wall, reports the
. The dumper is spreading...
Someone Hacked These
Scooters. Now They're
Apr 25, 2019 9:38 AM CDT
Someone Hacked These Scooters. Now They're Offending People
At least 8 Lime scooters in Brisbane, Australia, have been yanked for making sexual comments
- Not your everyday electric scooter feature: a built-in voice-over that blurts out sexually charged and otherwise objectionable remarks. Gizmodo reports that's what some riders apparently got in Brisbane, Australia, where at least eight scooters from the transportation rental company Lime have already been yanked from circulation after someone hacked...
Family to Sue After
Leaves Woman in Coma
Feb 12, 2019 2:47 AM CST
Family to Sue After E-Scooter Accident Leaves Woman in Coma
Lawyer says Fort Lauderdale woman was misled by rental company's advice
- The family of a Fort Lauderdale woman who has been in a coma since a Dec. 28 electric scooter crash says the accident happened because she was misled by the rental company and they plan to sue. Ashanti Jordan, a 27-year-old security guard at Broward Health Medical Center, suffered a...
Attorney: 'Blood on the Hands'
of Cities That Allow E-Scooters
Aug 21, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
Attorney: 'Blood on the Hands' of Cities That Allow E-Scooters
Injuries from the motorized devices now a daily problem in ERs
- It felt like grains of salt floating around Earl Wilkinson's mouth. "In fact, they were teeth remnants"—the result of the 52-year-old's face-plant during an electric scooter crash. Wilkinson ended up in the emergency room with a broken arm in what BuzzFeed describes as a fairly...
Users Love It,
Officials Not So Much
Jul 10, 2018 12:28 PM CDT
Electric Scooter-Sharing: Users Love It, Officials Not So Much
Scooter-sharing companies are the new big thing
- Ride-sharing, bike-sharing, and now scooter-sharing: Rentable electric scooters are popping up all over the place, including Los Angeles, San Francisco, and at least 20 other cities across the US. Millions of dollars in funding have been poured in to a number of scooter startups including Bird, Lime, and Spin, and...
Man Made Up Like Evil Clown
Accused in Fatal Stabbing
May 24, 2017 8:46 AM CDT
Man Made Up Like Evil Clown Accused in Fatal Stabbing
Fatal attack happened outside a Torchy's Tacos in Denver
- An altercation outside a Denver taco eatery ended in death, between a man CBS Denver describes as a "well-known transient" and a suspect who was allegedly made up like a clown and tried to flee on a scooter. KUSA reports that police found an unresponsive Brian Lucero, one stab...
Guy Fleeing Cops
on Scooter Does
Not Get Away
Jul 19, 2015 12:01 PM CDT
Guy Fleeing Cops on Scooter Does Not Get Away
Because they're not very fast, you see
- A suspected drug dealer tried to evade authorities in Nevada while riding a scooter. The
reports that Joseph Scurti is facing charges including suspicion of a parole and probation warrant and probation violation. Obstruction charges are pending. The slow-speed pursuit began Friday when Carson City deputies tried to...
Toys Send Kids
to ER Every
Dec 1, 2014 10:31 AM CST
Toys Send Kids to ER Every 3 Minutes
Scooters top toy-related injuries, which have jumped 40% over 20 years
- A study that shows toy-related injuries have jumped 40% over the past two decades might have parents reconsidering their kids' holiday wish lists. The report, published in
today, shows that the injury rate for toy-related accidents, which affects boys and younger children the most, increased from 18.9...
How Not to Get to a Meeting With Your Probation Officer
Aug 20, 2014 3:25 PM CDT
How Not to Get to a Meeting With Your Probation Officer
New Mexico man admits stealing scooter from Walmart
- On the bright side, 18-year-old Michael Johnson of Albuquerque made it to a meeting with his probation officer on time. Unfortunately, as KOAT-TV reports, he did so by zipping over in a stolen electric shopping cart. When Johnson's probation officer asked about the unusual ride, the teen admitted taking...
in case you missed it
May 19, 2012 1:11 PM CDT
Honda Unveils Segway Competitor: the Uni-Cub
It's designed to ride indoors
- Watch out, Segway, there's a new player in the high-end scooter game. Honda has revealed the Uni-Cub, a personal mobility device that, like the Segway, is driven by shifting one's weight. It "looks like a trash compactor on wheels," reports the
Los Angeles Times
Oct 7, 2010 3:06 AM CDT
Angry Man Smashes Into Elevator, Plunges Down Shaft
Motorized scooter busts through panels to darkness
- Take a breath. Don't mess with slow elevators. A Korean man in a motorized scooter became enraged when he just missed an elevator. He then angrily smashed into the closed doors—twice—before plunging through the panels, and down the shaft to his death . The horrifying scene was captured on...
Electric Motorcycles Closing Gap
Jan 28, 2009 5:45 PM CST
Electric Motorcycles Closing Gap on Speed
Brit creates all-battery bike for the racetrack
- An English entrepreneur is developing an all-electric motorcycle he says can compete on the racetrack,
reports. Well, in the near future. His prototype—the bike is expected to be for sale next year and will be legal for street use—can go from 0 to 60 in 3.8...
Jul 20, 2007 9:58 AM CDT
Prosecutor Flunks Scooter Test
Libby foe Fitzgerald goes on NPR, receives lovely parting gift
- The NPR quiz show "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!" lured US attorney Patrick Fitzgerald to last night's taping for a game called "Not My Job"—and a little teasing. Best line: Fitzgerald said he lived on Chicago's North Side but worked downtown, and host Peter Sagal...
Lazy Gamblers Rent Scooters in Vegas
May 25, 2007 5:34 AM CDT
Lazy Gamblers Rent Scooters in Vegas
In the land of easy money, tourists up the ante on indolence
- In Las Vegas, motorized scooters offer access to expansive casino floors to the elderly, the disabled—and now the lazy. For 40 chips a day, a growing number of young, healthy tourists are renting the scooters so they can hop from the slot machine to the craps table at up...
Popular on Newser
After Bridge Collapses, a Human Chain Forms
Retrieval of Sunken F35 Is 'Vitally Important' for US
Scientists Take Issue With Joe Rogan Podcast Discussion
This Airline Is the Best of All Major US Carriers
Buffalo Bills Have Fans Arrested Over Their Vaccine Cards
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.