Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Bernie Sanders Goes After the
'Wealthiest Family in America'
Nov 16, 2018 6:44 AM CST
Bernie Sanders Goes After the 'Wealthiest Family in America'
Senator rolls out the Stop WALMART Act
- The bigger they come, the harder Bernie Sanders will go after them, apparently. The senator from Vermont, whose recent campaign to improve conditions for Amazon workers led to the company raising its minimum wage to $15 , now has Walmart in his sights, CNN reports. The independent senator, who calls the...
Some Workers Not Happy After
Amazon's Big Move on Wages
Oct 9, 2018 7:03 PM CDT
Some Workers Not Happy After Amazon's Big Move on Wages
Because Amazon is also ending stock option, bonus programs
- Amazon is being widely praised for its decision to raise its minimum wage for all its workers to $15 per hour, but as the
New York Times
reports, many Amazon warehouse workers across the country are actually "fuming." In addition to raising wages, Amazon will stop giving out...
Amazon Makes a Big
Move on Minimum Wage
Oct 2, 2018 6:39 AM CDT
Amazon Makes a Big Move on Minimum Wage
Raises it to $15 for all workers, will push for hike in federal minimum
- Amazon is raising its minimum wage for all employees to $15, a bump that could have implications throughout the US workforce. The raise, effective at the start of next month, will cover 250,000 workers and 100,000 seasonal employees, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The company has been under...
Target Gets More, Better
Applicants, Raises Pay Again
Mar 6, 2018 2:58 PM CST
Target Gets More, Better Applicants, Raises Pay Again
It saw a bigger, better pool of candidates after raising pay to $11 per hour, now will go to $12
- Target is raising its minimum starting pay for workers for the second time in less than a year after seeing a bigger and better pool of candidates, the AP reports. The Minneapolis retailer, which hiked starting pay to $11 an hour last fall, said all workers this spring will receive...
to $11 an Hour
Sep 25, 2017 6:23 PM CDT
Target Raising Minimum Wage to $11 an Hour
Pledges to hit $15 per hour by 2020
- Starting next month, Target will be raising its minimum wage from $10 to $11 per hour; eventually, all US stores will have an $11 minimum wage. In announcing the move Monday, Target also committed to raising its minimum wage to $15 per hour by 2020, CNBC reports. CNBC notes that...
Thousands in St. Louis Likely to
See Wage Drop With New Law
Aug 26, 2017 12:45 PM CDT
Thousands in St. Louis Likely to See Wage Drop With New Law
Missouri makes city's new higher minimum wage illegal
- Thousands of workers in St. Louis will likely see smaller paychecks starting Monday, when a new Missouri law takes effect barring local government from enacting minimum wages different than the state minimum, the AP reports. The law is drawing protests in St. Louis and in Kansas City, where a recent...
Did Seattle's Higher
Minimum Wage Backfire?
in case you missed it
Jul 1, 2017 8:15 AM CDT
Did Seattle's Higher Minimum Wage Backfire?
New study suggests low-income earners have actually lost money
- Seattle has been gradually increasing its minimum wage, with the city planning to make it $15 by 2021. (It's currently $13 for most businesses.) While advocates may be thrilled, a new study out of the University of Washington suggests that the rising minimum might actually be harming low-income...
Phone Sex Worker Sues Firm
for 'Draconian' Pay Setup
Jun 30, 2017 8:42 AM CDT
Phone Sex Worker Sues Firm for 'Draconian' Pay Setup
Tele Pay USA is accused of paying its workers less than minimum-wage mandate
- Want to be your own boss? Make your own hours? Not get properly paid according to the Fair Labor Standards Act? While the first two perks of working as a "phone actor" for Tele Pay USA's "adult and psychic hotlines" are listed on the company's website...
Disney Characters Had to Pay
for Costumes, Problematically
Mar 20, 2017 7:00 PM CDT
Disney Characters Had to Pay for Costumes, Problematically
Florida theme park wasn't paying all workers minimum wage
- Disney World hasn't been paying all its employees minimum wage, an investigation by the US Department of Labor has found. Theme park employees who play Mickey and other Disney characters saw a "uniform or 'costume' expense" deducted from their paychecks, causing some of those workers' hourly rates...
Ohio Just Used Bestiality to
Fight a Higher Minimum Wage
Dec 8, 2016 6:00 PM CST
Ohio Just Used Bestiality to Fight a Higher Minimum Wage
We're pretty sure 'Schoolhouse Rock' never covered this
- It is currently legal to have sex with an animal in nine states, but it seems Ohio may want off that list. The
reports Ohio's state legislature passed a bill this week that would outlaw bestiality and the selling of animals for sex. Gov. John Kasich has 10...
May 15, 2016 1:03 PM CDT
Coming Soon: Wendy's Self-Serve Kiosks
Thanks to minimum wage increases
- By the end of the year, Wendy's plans to have self-service kiosks available in all of its US restaurant locations, the
San Francisco Chronicle
reports. The fast food chain made the decision after New York and California passed legislation that will eventually raise minimum wage to $15 per hour...
$15 Minimum Wage
Apr 1, 2016 6:23 AM CDT
New York Announces $15 Minimum Wage
But they'll have to wait awhile for it upstate
- Thursday was a great day for low-wage workers on both coasts: Just hours after California lawmakers approved a statewide minimum wage of $15 for 2022 , New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced that the minimum would hit $15 in his state sooner—at least in parts of it. The budget deal...
Calif. Lawmakers OK
Highest Minimum Wage
Apr 1, 2016 12:01 AM CDT
Calif. Lawmakers OK Highest Minimum Wage
Workers will get $15 an hour by 2022
- California lawmakers have approved the nation's highest statewide minimum wage of $15 an hour to take effect by 2022, the AP reports. The legislation passed Thursday now goes to Gov. Jerry Brown, who is expected to sign it into law after previously working out the plan with labor unions...
Calif. Reaches Deal
for $15 Minimum Wage
Mar 29, 2016 12:03 AM CDT
Calif. Reaches Deal for $15 Minimum Wage
Nation-leading wage could be in place by 2022
- California legislators and labor unions have reached a tentative agreement that will take the state's minimum wage to $15 an hour, a move that would make for the largest statewide minimum in the nation by far. "Everyone's been operating in good faith and we hope to get...
CEO Upped Salaries to $70K. But Were His Reasons Pure?
Dec 6, 2015 9:07 AM CST
CEO Upped Salaries to $70K. But Were His Reasons Pure?
Karen Weise of Bloomberg Businessweek takes a hard look at Dan Price
- This spring, Seattle-based Gravity Payments CEO Dan Price became an instant sensation when he announced that he would be cutting his roughly $1 million salary to ensure that all 120 of his employees would be paid a minimum salary of $70,000. "It’s not about making money; it’...
Workers Plan Strikes at
7 Busy US Airports
Nov 18, 2015 6:00 PM CST
Workers Plan Strikes at 7 Busy US Airports
'We don't receive enough money to pay the rent'
- Tired of being underpaid and threatened by their employers, more than 2,000 baggage handlers, cleaners, and wheelchair attendants at seven of the busiest airports in the US will go on strike Wednesday night, the
reports. "We don't receive enough money to pay the rent,"...
Gets Jail for
Nov 17, 2015 9:09 AM CST
Papa John's Franchisee Gets Jail for Dodging Overtime
NYC owner also to cough up more than $500K in back pay, damages, penalties
- A Papa John's owner tried to make a buck off his employees' backs, and now he's paying big time. Abdul Jamil Khokhar, who owns nine of the chain's restaurants in the NYC area along with BMY Foods, has pleaded guilty to not paying the correct minimum wage...
Nov 14, 2015 4:04 PM CST
Americans Are Making Less Money Under Obama
And why that might not actually help any of the GOP presidential candidates
- Politico has an interesting article on what it's calling "the Democrats' wage problem," a major takeaway of which is that the average American income has actually gone down during Obama's years as president. The median household income in 2014 was more than $1,600 lower...
The 'Million Student March'
Nov 12, 2015 12:30 PM CST
The 'Million Student March' Is Happening
Protesters want free tuition, student debt forgiveness, and more
- Across the country Thursday, students will be walking out of classrooms as part of the "Million Student March." The demonstrations were planned as a protest against student loan debt, with students calling for not only tuition-free education at public colleges and forgiveness of student loans, but also for...
Tests No Tipping
Nov 11, 2015 8:09 AM CST
First Major Restaurant Chain Tests No Tipping
Joe's Crab Shack is testing policy to stave turnover, aid service
- Put away the calculator and enjoy dessert: There's no more tipping at Joe's Crab Shack, the first national full-service chain restaurant to test a no-tipping policy, Consumerist reports. In a conference call last week, Ray Blanchette, CEO of parent company Ignite Restaurant Group, told investors that 18 of...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
2 Hours After Parade Killings, Candidate Says, 'Let's Move On'
Teen's Sudden Mental Collapse Ended in a National Park
At Least 6 Killed, 24 Hurt in Parade Mass Shooting
Cops Find 'Very Unpleasant Scene' at Funeral Home
Also Not in Constitution: Court Having Final Say
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.