Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Saga of a Stolen Painting
Worth as Much as $100M Ends
Sep 29, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
The Saga of a Stolen Painting Worth as Much as $100M Ends
On Oct. 8, de Kooning work will once again hang in the University of Arizona Museum of Art
- After a Willem de Kooning painting worth millions was brazenly stolen in 1985 from an Arizona museum, the staff clung to the hope that it would turn up one day. But nobody could have predicted "Woman-Ochre" would find its way back through the kindness of strangers in a neighboring...
The Paintings Remain Missing,
but Authorities Say There's DNA
Sep 22, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
The Paintings Remain Missing, but Authorities Say There's DNA
Nils M has been charged in the Netherlands
- His resume fits: a Dutch man identified as Nils M spent five years behind bars in connection with the 2012 theft of a 17th-century church vessel from a museum whose doors he blasted open. Prosecutors allege he struck again following his release. The 59-year-old was arrested in April and stands...
Months Later, Arrest in
Brazen Pandemic Art Heists
Apr 7, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Months Later, Arrest in Brazen Pandemic Art Heists
Man accused of stealing two paintings from two different museums in the Netherlands
- More than a year after a Van Gogh was stolen from a shuttered Dutch museum early in the COVID-19 pandemic, an arrest has been made in that case—as well as another art heist that also took place in the Netherlands, at a different museum, months later. A 58-year-old Dutch...
Spectacular Raid Doesn't
Turn Up the Missing Jewels
Nov 17, 2020 1:06 PM CST
Spectacular Raid Doesn't Turn Up the Missing Jewels
More than 1.6K police descended on locations thought to be tied to 2019 museum heist
- In what sounds like a scene worthy of any big-budget heist film, a Berlin neighborhood was overrun with 1,638 officers and special forces personnel in a pre-dawn raid on 20 apartments, two garages, an eatery, and a number of vehicles. The
New York Times
reports three German men in...
$500M in Art Vanished.
Now, 'the Viper' Has Too
Oct 11, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
$500M in Art Vanished. Now, 'the Viper' Has Too
A vital contact in the the Gardner Museum heist has disappeared
- A detective trying to solve the world's biggest art heist has a problem: his key contact is gone—which puts an estimated $500 million in stolen art by the likes of Vermeer, Rembrandt, Degas, and Manet even further out of reach, the
reports. The sleuth, Charles Hill, is...
Thieves Using Axe
in Museum Heist
Nov 26, 2019 4:44 AM CST
Video Shows Thieves Using Axe in Museum Heist
They made off with around 100 pieces of jewelry from priceless collection
- The raid on Dresden's Green Vault early Monday took just a few minutes, authorities say—but it was long enough for the thieves to make off with jewelry believed to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Surveillance video released Monday shows two thieves using an axe to break...
Thieves Raid Europe's
Largest Collection of Treasures
Nov 25, 2019 8:07 AM CST
Thieves Raid Europe's Largest Collection of Treasures
Authorities are still trying to assess what was taken from the Green Vault in Dresden, Germany
- Early Monday, firefighters in Dresden, Germany, rushed to the scene of a fire at a power distributor. Not long after, another call came in: The Gruenes Gewoelbe museum, or Green Vault, had been robbed. Now authorities say they're trying to figure out if the two incidents are connected, as...
Thief Strolls Out of Gallery
With $20K Dali Etching
Oct 15, 2019 8:22 AM CDT
Thief Strolls Out of Gallery With $20K Dali Etching
Employee at San Francisco's Dennis Rae Fine Art says it happened in a flash
- No dead of night needed for this art heist: A thief sauntered into a San Francisco gallery in the middle of the afternoon, lifted a famous Salvador Dali piece worth $20,000, and walked right back out, all in just over 30 seconds, per KGO . The framed mid-'60s etching...
Thieves Thought They Had
a $3.4M Painting. Not at All
Mar 16, 2019 2:30 PM CDT
Thieves Thought They Had a $3.4M Painting. Not at All
Mayor of a small Italian town breaks the news that night
- This is embarrassing: Thieves who thought they'd stolen a $3.4 million painting really had a fake on their hands, the
reports. The mayor of Castelnuovo Magra, a small Italian town, made the announcement Wednesday. "Rumours were circulating that someone could steal the work, and so the...
Be Key to Finding
$500M in Stolen Art.
He's Not Talking
Mar 14, 2019 5:49 PM CDT
Mobster May Be Key to Finding $500M in Stolen Art. He's Not Talking
To be released from prison, Robert Gentile still 'has no idea where the paintings are'
- When FBI agents searched Robert Gentile's Connecticut home in 2016, the aging mobster was adamant that they were barking up the wrong tree. "They ain't gonna find nothing," he said through his lawyer , as he was serving a 54-month prison sentence for drug and gun charges....
Yet Another Odd Twist in
the Case of a Stolen Picasso
Nov 19, 2018 7:19 AM CST
Yet Another Odd Twist in the Case of a Stolen Picasso
Writer thought she had been led to the painting. Apparently not
- For a brief moment, there was hope that a lost Picasso—one of seven artworks stolen from the Kunsthal Museum in Rotterdam, Netherlands, in 2012—had been found. Instead, it was seemingly another odd twist in an odd story. Mira Feticu, an author who penned a novel inspired by the...
Inside the Truly Weird Heist
of a Salvador Dali Painting
Oct 13, 2018 8:17 AM CDT
Inside the Truly Weird Heist of a Salvador Dali Painting
It was stolen from Rikers Island
- Perhaps the only thing weirder than the fact that a Salvador Dali painting hung for decades in Rikers Island jail complex is the heist that took the piece from its walls. James Fanelli has the story for
, and goes back to the start: In 1965 Dali had agreed to...
Unsolved $500 Million
Art Heist Gets a Podcast
Jul 19, 2018 5:30 PM CDT
Unsolved $500 Million Art Heist Gets a Podcast
The theft of 13 paintings from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum still perplexes authorities
- A famously unsolved art heist will be the subject of a podcast that is sure to be the next big hit among true crime fans. In a statement released Thursday, WBUR and the
announced they've teamed up for a series on the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum theft...
Time Running Out for Huge
Reward in Famous Art Heist
Dec 26, 2017 11:35 AM CST
Time Running Out for Huge Reward in Famous Art Heist
Help return lost works to Boston's Gardner Museum and get $10M, but only through 2017
- Anyone who knows someone who knows someone who might know something about the notorious Gardner Museum art heist in Boston in 1990 might want to speak up quickly. A $10 million reward leading to the recovery of 13 works of art expires at midnight on Dec. 31. Actually, a reward...
His 'Cool' Find at Estate Sale
Was a Stolen Masterpiece
Aug 11, 2017 1:05 PM CDT
His 'Cool' Find at Estate Sale Was a Stolen Masterpiece
Painting by de Kooning is returned to University of Arizona 31 years after heist
- "I just thought it was a cool painting," David Van Auker tells the
. He has good taste. It turns out the painting—which he purchased at a New Mexico estate sale—is a Willem de Kooning that was stolen 31 years ago from the University of...
Sleuth Following 2 Leads
in Biggest US Art Heist
Jun 27, 2017 1:00 PM CDT
Sleuth Following 2 Leads in Biggest US Art Heist
The leads have been followed before, but Arthur Brand has a track record
- A Dutch art sleuth with an impressive track record says he's following two possible leads in the largest art heist in US history. Arthur Brand thinks a decision last month to double the reward to $10 million for information could prompt the return of 13 works stolen from Boston'...
'Born Burglar' Details How He
Pulled Off Van Gogh Heist
Mar 20, 2017 8:25 AM CDT
'Born Burglar' Details How He Pulled Off Van Gogh Heist
Octave Durham spills all the details on 2002 theft in new documentary
- "I'm a born burglar," says Octave Durham, per the
New York Times
, which looks at a new documentary about Durham's notorious theft of two Vincent Van Gogh paintings. Set to be broadcast Tuesday on Dutch TV, the 45-minute special by filmmaker Vincent Verweij gets the inside...
Guy Says He Threw
$100M Worth of
Stolen Art Away
Jan 31, 2017 8:47 AM CST
Guy Says He Threw $100M Worth of Stolen Art Away
But no one's really buying Yonathan Birn's story
- A co-defendant in one of the world's biggest art heists testified in court Monday he destroyed and threw away five art masterpieces worth more than $100 million that were stolen by a thief nicknamed "the spider-man" by French media. Yonathan Birn, accused of receiving stolen goods, was among...
17 Stolen Masterpieces
Returned Year After Heist
Dec 22, 2016 12:05 AM CST
17 Stolen Masterpieces Returned Year After Heist
They're back in Italy with only scratches
- Seventeen masterpieces valued at $17.7 million were returned to Italy from Ukraine on Wednesday after being stolen by masked, armed robbers from a Verona art museum last year. Italian Culture Minister Dario Franceschini, who traveled to Kiev to retrieve the paintings—which included works by Rubens, Tintoretto, and Mantegna—...
FBI Digs for
Stolen Art at Aging
May 3, 2016 12:04 PM CDT
FBI Digs for Stolen Art at Aging Mobster's Home
Robert Gentile linked to infamous 1990 heist in Boston
- Authorities aren't giving up the search for $500 million in paintings stolen in one of the largest art thefts in US history. On Monday, the FBI searched the property of an 80-year-old mobster linked to the 1990 theft of 13 paintings—including three Rembrandts, a Vermeer, and a Manet—...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.