Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Tech CEO Transitioned, Was
Shocked by What She Found
Oct 31, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
A Tech CEO Transitioned, Was Shocked by What She Found
Natalie Egan quickly discovered how differently she was treated as a woman
- When it comes to knowing how male and female entrepreneurs are treated differently, it's hard to argue that Natalie J. Egan knows it best. Egan was assigned male at birth and raised as a boy, and a decade ago she was a full-on "tech bro," writes Stephanie...
Facebook Algorithms Tilt
Job Ads by Gender
Apr 9, 2021 5:10 PM CDT
Facebook Algorithms Tilt Job Ads by Gender
Researchers say practice may perpetuate imbalances in jobs and fields
- Employers who want a demographically balanced pool of job applicants might not be getting it, despite their best efforts. Facebook often shows job ads to whichever gender already dominates that position or industry, researchers have found. The findings suggest bias remains in the site's algorithms, the
Wall Street Journal
Bill Would Bar Stores From
Having 'Boys' and 'Girls' Toys
Mar 9, 2021 4:32 PM CST
Bill Would Bar Stores From Having 'Boys' and 'Girls' Toys
California lawmakers say the practice is outdated
- A California lawmaker said that when she was a child, she sometimes was steered away from playing with Lincoln Logs because they were thought by adults to be for boys. The issue is more than fun; such activities can develop spatial ability, notes the
Los Angeles Times
. That can help...
How a World Built for
Men Is Killing Women
Mar 12, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
How a World Built for Men Is Killing Women
Caroline Criado Perez exposes data bias in her new book, 'Invisible Women'
- From car design to bulletproof vests, Caroline Criado Perez sees a pattern: The world is designed for men, and women are suffering for it. In her new book
Invisible Women: Exposing Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
, Perez says we're making vital decisions based mostly on data...
Wells Fargo Fires
Aug 31, 2018 10:11 AM CDT
Wells Fargo Fires Employees Over Food Orders
'Wall Street Journal' reports bank investigating doctored receipts on meals
- Some Wells Fargo employees are losing their jobs for an unexpected reason—bogus receipts over meals. The Wells Fargo Securities employees, who are reimbursed for at-work meals after 6:30pm, were found to have altered time stamps on receipts for meals ordered earlier, sources tell the
Wall Street Journal .
Exec's 'Spectacularly Wrong'
Remarks Spur Calls to Resign
Feb 2, 2018 8:53 AM CST
Exec's 'Spectacularly Wrong' Remarks Spur Calls to Resign
Female executives pen letter asking for Recording Academy President Neil Portnow to step down
- Pink told the president of the Recording Academy to step off earlier this week, and now nearly two dozen female executives in the record industry are telling Neil Portnow to step aside from his position. It all comes out of his remarks after the Grammys on Sunday, when he reacted...
Julian Assange Sides
With Fired Google Engineer
Aug 8, 2017 12:49 PM CDT
Julian Assange Sides With Fired Google Engineer
WikiLeaks founder condemns 'censorship' over anti-diversity memo, offers him a job
- The Google engineer who got fired for writing an anti-diversity memo won't be out of a job long if he so wishes. Julian Assange of WikiLeaks tweeted a job offer Tuesday, reports the
. "Censorship is for losers," he wrote , adding that WikiLeaks "is offering a...
Google Fires Guy Who
Wrote Gender Memo
Aug 8, 2017 5:33 AM CDT
Google Fires Guy Who Wrote Gender Memo
He says he was canned for 'perpetuating stereotypes'
- A male Google engineer who authored a controversial memo on why he thinks women aren't suited to tech jobs is now searching for new employment. James Damore confirmed to Bloomberg that he was fired for "perpetuating gender stereotypes" and that he's "currently exploring all possible legal...
Utah High School Gives Girls
'Misogynistic' Dating Advice
Jan 13, 2017 8:32 AM CST
Utah High School Gives Girls 'Misogynistic' Dating Advice
Another tip from the handout: 'Be feminine and lady-like'
- When the mother of a 16-year-old high school student posted material from her daughter's school assignment to Facebook this week, she had to clarify to friends that it wasn't a hoax or prank. Jenn Oxborrow tells the
Salt Lake Tribune
that in her daughter's adult roles and...
What I Did When
I Was Told I'd
'Never Work in
This Town Again'
Nov 3, 2016 6:45 PM CDT
Mila Kunis: What I Did When I Was Told I'd 'Never Work in This Town Again'
Actress says she's confronting gender bias head-on.
- Mila Kunis had that most clichéd of lines spoken to her when she refused to pose semi-naked on a men's magazine cover: "You'll never work in this town again," the producer of the film she would have been promoting told her. She held firm, and...
2 Big Studios,
Apr 22, 2016 8:45 AM CDT
2 Big Studios, No Women Directors Through 2018
That's 47 male-directed movies
- Nearly 50 movies from two major studios are slated to come out through 2018—and there's not a female director to be found among them, according to a tally by the Wrap . It found Paramount is set to release 25 films, while 20th Century Fox will debut 22 (that...
if Not IDed as
Feb 12, 2016 12:52 PM CST
Women Deemed Better Coders— if Not IDed as Women
Study of GitHub developers shows possible link to gender bias
- When a group of student computer scientists decided to test their hypothesis that software coding done by women doesn't get as much cred as that done by males, they came face to face with a couple of surprises. In the not-yet-peer-reviewed study published in the open-access
Dad's Wage Gap Fix:
Save for Daughter, Not Son
Sep 10, 2015 12:53 PM CDT
Dad's Wage Gap Fix: Save for Daughter, Not Son
Paul Ford wants to give his little girl a head start now against gender inequality
- Paul Ford has preschool twins, Abe and Ivy. But he's worried that, thanks to gender inequality and the ongoing wage gap that still pays women only 78% of what men make, his little lady isn't going to get a fair shake financially when she's older. So, he...
Storms Kill More
Jun 3, 2014 7:13 AM CDT
Female-Named Storms Kill More
We're not as afraid of them, don't prepare as much, study finds
- Our hurricane-naming system taps into an unconscious sexism—and the results are potentially disastrous, researchers say. A study suggests that when we hear a female name for a hurricane, we're less worried, and thus less likely to prepare adequately, than we would be if the name were male, the...
Use More Female Lab Rats, Feds Tell Scientists
May 14, 2014 4:47 PM CDT
Use More Female Lab Rats, Feds Tell Scientists
NIH says gender bias in research hurts women's health
- If medical researchers want money from the National Institutes of Health, they'll have to put an end to the boys' club in the lab. The new NIH rules aren't talking about a gender bias among the scientists themselves, however, but among their test subjects—specifically animals and cells,...
Entries: It's a Man's World
Oct 16, 2013 5:01 PM CDT
Wikipedia Science Entries: It's a Man's World
Volunteers aim to give female scientists their due in 'edit-a-thon'
- Look up a female scientist or technologist on Wikipedia, and you might not find what you're looking for. Many don't have detailed pages or any page at all on the free online encyclopedia created by contributors, the vast majority of them men. It's a symptom of a...
He Hates Women
May 23, 2012 8:33 AM CDT
Strauss-Kahn Lawsuit: He Hates Women
Nafissatou Diallo argues rape part of a pattern of misogyny
- Nafissatou Diallo has added a new wrinkle to her lawsuit against Dominique Strauss-Kahn, arguing that he hates women and that his alleged rape of her hence amounted to gender violence, the
reports. "Strauss-Kahn's conduct towards women generally is, and more specifically his sexual assault of Ms. Diallo...
Teacher Bias Hurts
Girls in Math
Apr 9, 2012 4:26 PM CDT
Teacher Bias Hurts Girls in Math
University of Texas study: Teachers give girls unfair ratings
- White girls can't add? According to a national survey, high school teachers rate the math skills of white girls as being lower than those of white boys, even when their test scores are comparable, LiveScience reports. Calling the bias "relatively small in magnitude," two researchers at the...
Afghan Man Strangles Wife
for Having Girl
Jan 31, 2012 12:22 AM CST
Afghan Man Strangles Wife for Having Girl
He's at large, mom who aided him busted: cops
- An Afghan militiaman strangled his wife for giving birth to a third daughter instead of a son, according to law enforcement authorities. The 28-year-old victim was killed in her home in the northern province of Kunduz by her husband and his mother just three months after the woman had the...
Critics Bash Sexist 'Girly' Legos
Jan 24, 2012 10:23 AM CST
Critics Bash Sexist 'Girly' Legos
Critics call new Legos gender bias, a charge Lego execs deny
- A new line of Legos made especially for girls just doesn't stack up for critics who complain the Lego Friends' line is needlessly gender-biased, reports the
. With bright colors, stylish clothes, and slim female figurines, Lego Friends is facing online petitions and strong words from the International...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
One Group of Creatives Has Stellar Mental Health
First a 7.6 Magnitude Quake, Now a Tsunami Warning
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.