Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Zoo's 'Cry Me a Cockroach'
Promotion Is Back for V-Day
Jan 30, 2023 8:47 AM CST
Zoo's 'Cry Me a Cockroach' Promotion Is Back for V-Day
To, er, celebrate Valentine's Day, San Antonio Zoo will feed a roach named after your ex to an animal
- If you're not especially looking forward to Feb. 14 due to a recent breakup, one Texas venue has a promotion that could help mitigate the pain with a little old fashioned spite. The San Antonio Zoo is once again hosting its "Cry Me a Cockroach" fundraiser , with all...
Crawly' $2K Offer
Jun 19, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Pest Company Makes 'Creepy, Crawly' $2K Offer to Homeowners
The Pest Informer will pay you to let 100 cockroaches loose in your home for 30 days
- Looking for "100 creepy, crawly new roommates"? That's how WREG frames a rather unusual call for homeowners (or those who have explicit written permission from the homeowner) who are willing to allow 100 cockroaches to be released in their homes as part of a North Carolina pest...
Man's 3-Day Ear Clog
Has a Most Unpleasant Source
in case you missed it
Jan 16, 2022 3:42 PM CST
Man's 3-Day Ear Clog Has a Most Unpleasant Source
New Zealand's Zane Wedding had a cockroach in his ear
- A New Zealand man who thought his ear was clogged with water for three days found out the actual, more unpleasant truth after visiting a specialist on Monday: A cockroach had burrowed its way into his ear canal. CNN reports that Zane Wedding had started feeling like his ear was...
Zoo Loses Bet, Names
Cockroach After Tom Brady
Feb 16, 2017 12:49 AM CST
Zoo Loses Bet, Names Cockroach After Tom Brady
Zoo Atlanta was allowed to choose animal
- More than a week after the Falcons fell victim to the biggest comeback in Super Bowl history, an Atlanta zoo has named a cockroach after Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, the AP reports. Zoo Atlanta says it had a bet with Rhode Island's Roger Williams Park Zoo that called for...
Man's Quest to Kill Roach in
His Ear Has Unfortunate Result
Feb 9, 2017 8:00 AM CST
Man's Quest to Kill Roach in His Ear Has Unfortunate Result
A doctor ended up needing to pull it out
- If you can bear it, we offer what Newsflare aptly describes as some "rather unpleasant footage" for your viewing displeasure—the type you won't want to see, can't help but see, and won't be able to unsee. It's video filmed last week that shows a...
Doctors Find Cockroach
Living on Woman's Skull
Feb 4, 2017 12:49 PM CST
Doctors Find Cockroach Living on Woman's Skull
They removed it—still alive—after nearly 12 hours
- Beware, this story is about to get real squicky. The Indian Express reports doctors in India pulled a live cockroach out of a woman's nose this week after it was discovered hanging out on her skull. The 42-year-old woman started suffering pain and a "tingling, crawling sensation" Tuesday...
Bust Out of Farm
Aug 26, 2013 1:00 AM CDT
1M Cockroaches Bust Out of Farm
Roach-farming is big business in China
- Roach motel proprietors take note: At least a million cockroaches are on the lam after escaping a greenhouse in China, where they are used so much in traditional medicine that roach-farming can be highly profitable, PhysOrg reports. The breakout apparently happened after an "unknown perpetrator" tampered with a greenhouse...
Reality Show Crisis:
Not Enough Roaches
to Pour on Celebs
Nov 12, 2012 10:43 AM CST
Reality Show Crisis: Not Enough Roaches to Pour on Celebs
'I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here' needs more bugs
I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here
—the reality show known for hosting such luminaries as Stephen Baldwin and Speidi —has a true emergency on its hands. An Australian drought has led to a cockroach shortage, the
reports, meaning the show is in desperate need of...
New Way to Fight E. Coli:
Sep 7, 2010 4:57 AM CDT
New Way to Fight E. Coli: Cockroach Brains
Pests could be valuable new source of antibiotics
- Scientists believe they've finally found a use for cockroaches. The brains and nervous systems of cockroaches and locusts hold molecules that can kill off up to 90% of MRSA and E. Coli bacteria without damaging human tissue, Bloomberg reports. Researchers believe the insects could be key to developing next-generation antibiotics...
TV Guest Spot
Feb 22, 2008 10:41 AM CST
Heads Roll After Roach's TV Guest Spot
Turkmen president gives state-run station's newscast thumbs down
- An ongoing overhaul of Turkmenistan state TV is apparently so interesting that even members of the animal kingdom want a front-row seat. Unfortunately for the staff of the nightly news, a cockroach recently strolled across the studio table while cameras were rolling, leading the country's president to fire dozens of...
Popular on Newser
Forecasters Warn of Generational Cold
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
China: Let's Stay Calm About This Alleged Spy Balloon
Police: Actually, No Evidence We Headed Off Mass Shooting
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.