Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
US Olympic Committee
Stories 1 - 20 |
Larry Nassar Abuse Victims
Reach $380M Settlement
Dec 13, 2021 7:15 PM CST
Larry Nassar Abuse Victims Reach $380M Settlement
USA Gymnastics, USOPC agree on deal with hundreds of victims
- The legal wrangling between USA Gymnastics and the victims of sexual abuse by former national team doctor Larry Nassar, among others, is over. The fight for substantive change within the sport's national governing body is just beginning. A federal bankruptcy court in Indianapolis on Monday confirmed a $380 million...
He's Accused of
'Protecting a Child
a $2.4M Payoff
Jul 4, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
He's Accused of 'Protecting a Child Molester.' Now, a $2.4M Payoff
Scott Blackmun, ex-CEO of US Olympic Committee, allegedly let Nassar abuse continue
- Gymnasts who suffered sexual abuse at the hands of Larry Nassar just learned the man who allegedly allowed that abuse to continue walked away with $2.4 million in severance. Scott Blackmun—the former CEO of the US Olympic Committee, now dubbed the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee—learned about...
Won't Jump, So
USOC Will Push It
Nov 22, 2018 5:24 PM CST
USA Gymnastics Won't Jump, So USOC Will Push It
Organization refused to give it status voluntarily
- USA Gymnastics has refused to give up its status at the sport's national governing body, so the US Olympic Committee has started what could be a months-long process to force it out. The USOC first moved to decertify USA Gymnastics earlier this month, saying the organization had failed to...
USOC Moves to Shut
Down USA Gymnastics
Nov 6, 2018 12:07 AM CST
USOC Moves to Shut Down USA Gymnastics
First step toward decertification has been taken
- The US Olympic Committee took steps Monday to decertify USA Gymnastics as the governing body for the sport at the Olympic level, choosing the nuclear option for an organization that botched its own rebuilding attempt in the wake of a sex-abuse scandal involving former team doctor Larry Nassar. In an...
New USA Gymnastics Coach
Fired After Only 3 Days
Sep 1, 2018 1:10 PM CDT
New USA Gymnastics Coach Fired After Only 3 Days
Mary Lee Tracy contacted Aly Raisman without permission
- Not a month into her new job as CEO of the US Olympic Committee, Sarah Hirshland has seen enough from USA Gymnastics. She's calling for yet another shake-up in the federation's leadership as it tries to remake itself in the wake of the Larry Nassar sex-abuse scandal. Hirshland...
Mar 2, 2018 9:18 AM CST
Aly Raisman Goes After US Olympic Committee
Nassar, USA Gymanstics also named in lawsuit
- Six-time Olympic medalist Aly Raisman is suing the US Olympic Committee and USA Gymnastics, claiming both organizations "knew or should have known" about abusive patterns by disgraced former national team doctor Larry Nassar, the AP reports. The lawsuit, filed in California on Wednesday, alleges negligence by the USOC and...
Amidst Furor and Cancer,
US Olympic Boss Is Out
Mar 1, 2018 3:04 AM CST
Amidst Furor and Cancer, US Olympic Boss Is Out
Calls for Scott Blackmun's ouster had been growing louder
- Scott Blackmun resigned as CEO of the US Olympic Committee on Wednesday, stepping aside so he can tackle his worsening bout with prostate cancer and to allow the federation to move forward under new leadership to address the sex-abuse scandal that has rocked gymnastics and other sports. The 60-year-old CEO...
Board to Resign
Jan 26, 2018 6:16 PM CST
Entire USA Gymnastics Board to Resign
US Olympic Committee had threatened to remove it as sport's national governing body
- The 16 remaining members of USA Gymnastics' board of directors will resign following the sentencing of Larry Nassar and the issuing of demands by the US Olympic Committee, ABC News reports. On Thursday, USOC CEO Scott Blackmun demanded the entire USA Gymnastics board resign because the "culture needs fundamental...
Olympic Officials Give
Ultimatum to USA Gymnastics
Jan 26, 2018 7:22 AM CST
Olympic Officials Give Ultimatum to USA Gymnastics
Entire board must quit, or it will no longer be sport's governing body
- As the harrowing testimony against Larry Nassar continued earlier this week, three top members of the USA Gymnastics board resigned. Not good enough, says the US Olympic Committee. The group has ordered everybody else on the 21-member board to quit by Wednesday, and it wants an interim board set up...
More Than 150 Victims Came
Forward. Here's What They Said
Jan 24, 2018 4:09 PM CST
More Than 150 Victims Came Forward. Here's What They Said
Everything you need to know as Larry Nassar sentenced to up to 175 years
- "I had a dream to go to the Olympics, and the things that I had to endure to get there were unnecessary and disgusting," McKayla Maroney told Larry Nassar during his seven-day sentencing hearing, which concluded Wednesday with a sentence of up to 175 years in prison...
Looks Like LA, Paris Will Host
2024, 2028 Olympics
Jul 11, 2017 2:21 PM CDT
Looks Like LA, Paris Will Host 2024, 2028 Olympics
If a 3-way deal with the IOC works out
- If they can agree who goes first, Paris and Los Angeles will be awarded the 2024 and 2028 Olympics. International Olympic Committee members voted unanimously to seek a consensus three-way deal between the two bid cities and the IOC executive board, the AP reports. Talks will open with Paris widely...
Over 'Robbed' Swimmers
Aug 19, 2016 2:46 AM CDT
USOC Apologizes Over 'Robbed' Swimmers
2 athletes allowed to fly home
- An embarrassed US Olympic Committee apologized Thursday night for what it called a "distracting ordeal": the alleged robbery of four US swimmers, which Brazilian police now say was a fabrication. In a statement , USOC CEO Scott Blackmun said sorry to "our hosts in Rio and the people of...
Forget Rio: Rednecks
Throw Own, Er, 'Olympics'
Jul 31, 2016 10:44 AM CDT
Forget Rio: Rednecks Throw Own, Er, 'Olympics'
Except they can't call their games that, thanks to prickly Olympic Committee
- There were no world-class athletes or top-notch sporting venues in Maine, but there was cold beer, barbecue, and a muddy tug-of-war Saturday at the event formerly known as the Redneck Olympics, reports the AP . The event, now officially known as the "Redneck (Blank)" after the real Olympics threatened to...
to US Athletes:
Skip Rio if Zika
Feb 8, 2016 10:30 AM CST
Olympic Officials to US Athletes: Skip Rio if Zika Scares You
USOC delivers message to American sports federations, says Reuters
- If the US medal count is lower than normal at the Summer Olympics this year, blame mosquitoes. The United States Olympic Committee has spread the word to American athletes: If the Zika virus worries them, they should skip the Games in Brazil, reports Reuters . The message came in a conference...
Boston Bid Ends
for 2024 Olympics
Jul 27, 2015 2:40 PM CDT
Boston Bid Ends for 2024 Olympics
Ties were "severed" after teleconference call, the AP says
- Boston's bid to host the 2024 Olympics is over. A person familiar with the decision told the AP that the city and the US Olympic Committee severed ties after a board teleconference today. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the decision had not yet been made public....
Boston Will Be US Contender
to Host 2024 Olympics
Jan 8, 2015 6:11 PM CST
Boston Will Be US Contender to Host 2024 Olympics
City beats out LA, San Francisco, and DC
- One American city will be in the running to host the 2024 Summer Olympics: Boston. The US Olympic Committee picked the city today over Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Washington, DC, reports the
. Now comes two years of wooing the International Olympic Committee, which will make its final...
US Olympic 'Go USA'
Mittens Made In China
Dec 17, 2013 4:10 AM CST
US Olympic 'Go USA' Mittens Made In China
USOC says it wanted affordable option
- Looks like there are some short memories on the US Olympic Committee: Not much more than a year after news that Team USA uniforms were made in China had lawmakers like Harry Reid suggesting they be torched in a bonfire , the USOC is raising money by selling mittens that say...
Uniforms to Be
Made in USA
Jul 14, 2012 5:51 AM CDT
Team USA Uniforms to Be Made in USA —Next Time
Designer Ralph Lauren announces switch for 2014
- The long, sartorial nightmare is nearly over. The US Olympic team will wear uniforms made in the US-of-A starting with the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, reports the AP . Ralph Lauren, who designs the team's outfits, announced the change yesterday. It's too late to change them this...
US Won't Bid on 2020 Olympics
Aug 22, 2011 1:29 PM CDT
US Won't Bid on 2020 Olympics
Economic climate, lingering revenue dispute prevent bid
- The 2020 Summer Olympics may be nine years away, but one thing's for sure: They won’t be happening here. The US Olympic Committee won’t seek to host the Games in any American city, an official tells the
. The USOC has long been at odds with...
USOC Threatens 'Redneck Olympics' With Lawsuit
Aug 10, 2011 3:22 PM CDT
USOC Threatens 'Redneck Olympics' With Lawsuit
Apparently they're not happy about the name...
- The Redneck Olympics, held last weekend in Hebron, Maine, may be forced to change its name. Not the "redneck" part, the "Olympics" part. Harold Brooks, who held the three-day event on his land, got a call from the US Olympic Committee's legal division Monday telling him if...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.