Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
City's Residents Told They
Can Drink the Water Again
Sep 15, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
City's Residents Told They Can Drink the Water Again
Mississippi health official immediately issues caveats
- After nearly seven weeks of being forced to boil their water before drinking it or using it to brush teeth, people in Mississippi's largest city were told Thursday that water from the tap is safe to consume—but Jackson's water system still needs big repairs that the mayor...
Tons of Dead Fish
in River: 'Most Likely
Dealing With a Crime'
Aug 13, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Tons of Dead Fish in River: 'Most Likely Dealing With a Crime'
Poland is recruiting soldiers to help deal with 'ecological catastrophe'
- Poland has deployed soldiers to help clean up the Oder River, which runs along the border with Germany, after 10 tons of dead fish surfaced from the waterway in what one official described as an "ecological catastrophe." An association of fishers in Zielona Gora, a city in the...
Media Attention Fades, but
Their Well Water Is Still Foul
Feb 19, 2022 3:25 PM CST
Media Attention Fades, but Their Well Water Is Still Foul
Associated Press looks at the legal aftermath of fracking in Dimock, Pennsylvania
- Meeting with a man whose well water has been polluted for years, officials in the Pennsylvania attorney general’s office asked him whether he’d consider accepting a treatment system from the gas driller charged with fouling his aquifer. Not a chance, Ray Kemble of Dimock told them. "Are...
$600M Flint Settlement
Nov 10, 2021 7:10 PM CST
Judge Approves $600M Flint Settlement
Thousands will be eligible for payments over contaminated water
: Calling it "a remarkable achievement," a judge in Michigan has approved a $626.5 million settlement for thousands of people in Flint whose water was contaminated with lead. US District Judge Judith Levy said Wednesday that the package "is consistent for every qualifying participant, regardless...
Fukushima Has a Plan
for Its Tainted Water
Aug 27, 2021 1:28 PM CDT
Fukushima Has a Plan for Its Tainted Water
Nuclear plant will build an undersea tunnel and pump it out
- The Fukushima nuclear plant is going to run out of room soon to store radioactive water that keeps building up. Solution: Japan will build an undersea tunnel and starting pumping the tainted water into the ocean, reports AFP . The water will be treated to remove most, though not all, of...
Metal Found in Blood
After Mystery Outbreak
Dec 8, 2020 3:09 PM CST
Metal Found in Blood After Mystery Outbreak
Indian authorities are checking water, milk supplies
- The mystery illness that has sickened hundreds of people in southern India appears to be the result of contamination, not infection. Health officials say excessive amounts of nickel and lead have been found in blood samples from at least 10 patients, CBS reports. More than 500 people have been hospitalized...
Newark Borrows to
Hurry New Water Lines
Aug 26, 2019 6:25 PM CDT
Newark Borrows to Hurry New Water Lines
Officials decide not to wait for federal help with lead issue
- New Jersey's biggest city on Monday announced a plan to borrow $120 million to dramatically cut the time it will take to replace pipes causing elevated lead levels in drinking water. City, state, and county officials said the plan is expected to cut the time from 10 years to...
EPA Mandate to City: Hand
Out Bottled Water ASAP
Aug 12, 2019 7:23 AM CDT
EPA Mandate to City: Hand Out Bottled Water ASAP
In Newark, NJ, filters to keep lead out didn't work, leading to recommendation for bottled water
- In what the
New York Times
calls "an echo of Flint," a New Jersey city that's handed out nearly 40,000 filters to help protect residents whose water flows through old lead pipes now says those filters might not be working and is moving to Plan B....
Coast Guard Says No More to
14-Year-Old Oil Leak in Gulf
in case you missed it
Nov 25, 2018 11:40 AM CST
Coast Guard Says No More to 14-Year-Old Oil Leak in Gulf
Taylor Energy has to start cleaning up mess that started in 2004 or risk fine of up to $40K per day
- A massive cleanup effort has been ordered on a quietly devastating oil spill that's been contaminating the Gulf of Mexico for 14 years. The
reports the US Coast Guard has mandated Taylor Energy "institute a … system to capture, contain, or remove oil" from the affected...
Back-to-School Surprise for
Detroit: Dry Water Fountains
Sep 3, 2018 12:00 PM CDT
Back-to-School Surprise for Detroit: Dry Water Fountains
Lead, copper prompt 106 Detroit schools to shut off water; kids will drink from water coolers
- Some 50,000 Detroit public school students will start the school year Tuesday by drinking water from coolers, not fountains, after the discovery of elevated levels of lead or copper in the supply—the latest setback in a state already dealing with the consequences of contaminated tap water in Flint...
There Was PCE in the Water,
but Nothing Happened for Years
Aug 27, 2018 11:37 AM CDT
There Was PCE in the Water, but Nothing Happened for Years
'Wichita Eagle' reports state learned of contamination in 2011, didn't act
- What could be worse than drinking and bathing in water contaminated with dry cleaning chemicals? Doing so for more than six years. The
reports that's what allegedly happened in a Wichita-area town with the knowledge of officials, who didn't intervene though they were alerted to the...
Tainted Water Blamed
for Deadly E. Coli Outbreak
Jun 29, 2018 2:53 AM CDT
Tainted Water Blamed for Deadly E. Coli Outbreak
Romaine lettuce outbreak is over, feds say
- The worst E. coli outbreak in the US since 2006 is over, with five people dead and more than 200 sickened by tainted romaine lettuce, federal authorities say. The outbreak, which affected people in 36 states and caused at least 96 hospitalizations, was traced to the Yuma region in western...
in More Than
90% of Bottled Water
Mar 15, 2018 6:58 AM CDT
Microplastics Found in More Than 90% of Bottled Water
WHO says it is investigating risks
- Bottled water isn't just surrounded by plastic, it's permeated with it, according to a new study. Researchers at the State University of New York tested 259 bottles of water bought in nine countries, including the US, and found that 93% of them were contaminated with tiny plastic particles,...
Are Full of Sewage: Report
Sep 12, 2017 11:05 AM CDT
Houston Floodwaters Are Full of Sewage: Report
Testing by 'NYT' shows E. coli is rampant
- Houston's floodwaters are contaminated with dangerous bacteria likely responsible for an upswing in health issues, reports the
New York Times
organized a team of scientists from Baylor College of Medicine and Rice University who tested floodwaters in two Houston neighborhoods. In a family's living room at...
An Industrial Neighborhood's
Newest Residents: Blue Dogs
in case you missed it
Aug 26, 2017 7:00 AM CDT
An Industrial Neighborhood's Newest Residents: Blue Dogs
Local officials think their cyan-hued fur is from untreated waste in Kasadi River
- A strange phenomenon in an Indian industrial district has put a factory on thin ice and a bunch of canines in the bathtub. A report in the
posted in mid-August noted that dogs with bright-blue fur had been spotted roaming in Navi Mumbai's Taloja area. After initial...
US Will Pay $2.2B to Marines
Sickened by Toxic Water
Jan 13, 2017 12:02 AM CST
US Will Pay $2.2B to Marines Sickened by Toxic Water
900K were exposed over more than 30 years
- The Obama administration has agreed to provide disability benefits totaling more than $2 billion to veterans who were exposed to contaminated drinking water while assigned to Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. Beginning in March, the cash payouts from the Department of Veterans Affairs may supplement VA health care already being...
Corpus Christi: Water Is
All Clear After Chemical Spill
Dec 18, 2016 12:30 PM CST
Corpus Christi: Water Is All Clear After Chemical Spill
City ends 4-day ban after worries that asphalt plant contaminated water supply
- A nearly four-day ban on drinking the water in Corpus Christi, Texas, was lifted on Sunday after test results showed no contamination due to a chemical leak, reports the AP . Mayor Dan McQueen said residents could resume using the city's water supply for drinking, bathing, and cooking. "It...
With Nowhere to Land, Geese
Descend, Die On Toxic Water
Dec 7, 2016 1:56 AM CST
With Nowhere to Land, Geese Descend, Die On Toxic Water
Their usual landing site, several others were mostly frozen
- A "perfect storm" of a late migration and a snowstorm left thousands of snow geese dead in the toxic waters of an old mine pit in Montana last week, authorities say. A spokesman for the Montana Resources mine company says witnesses described the scene as "700 acres of...
Can Be 8 Feet Wide,
Are Turning Up Dead
Nov 11, 2016 11:44 AM CST
These Stingrays Can Be 8 Feet Wide, Are Turning Up Dead
Officials blame wastewater leak at ethanol plant
- Picture a stingray. Is it 8 feet wide? Didn't think so, but that's the incredible size the giant freshwater stingray can grow to. Less incredible: More than 70 of the endangered fish have turned up dead in Thailand's Mae Klong River in recent weeks, reports
Lead Contamination Found
in 2K US Water Systems
Mar 17, 2016 4:33 AM CDT
Lead Contamination Found in 2K US Water Systems
Every state is affected, investigation finds
- The Flint water crisis has put lead contamination in the spotlight, and the problem isn't confined to the Michigan city: In the last four years alone, testing has revealed around 2,000 water systems in the US with excessive levels of lead, including hundreds that supply schools or daycare...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge: Trump Doesn't Have to Declare FBI Planted Evidence
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
Eliza Fletcher's Autopsy Results Are Released
Former Cowboys Player Dies in Climbing Accident
Their Scheme Made Couple's Life 'Hell.' Now, Prison Time
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.