Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Whale Makes 'Amazing'
but Heartbreaking Journey
Dec 11, 2022 1:00 PM CST
Whale Makes 'Amazing' but Heartbreaking Journey
Humpback with broken back made 3.1K-mile trek from Canada to Hawaii but likely won't live long
- It's a story both inspiring and heartbreaking, and one that marine wildlife experts have been monitoring with admiration and deep concern. For at least the last decade, a humpback whale named Moon has been on the radar of scientists at the Fin Island whale research station off of British...
Diver Captures 'Mind-Blowing'
Giant Octopus Encounter
in case you missed it
Nov 13, 2022 7:13 AM CST
Diver Captures 'Mind-Blowing' Giant Octopus Encounter
It 'was giving me a hug,' she says
- Canadian high school teacher Andrea Humphreys has done almost 700 dives, and she says she's never experienced anything as "mind-blowing" as her encounter with a giant Pacific octopus. She says that when she started filming the creature during a dive off the east coast of Vancouver Island, it...
The World Has
a New Island
Sep 25, 2022 6:06 AM CDT
The World Has a New Island
Latest addition to Tonga islands after volcanic eruption might be short-lived
- The world's land area is a tiny bit bigger than it was a month ago thanks to an eruption in the southwest Pacific Ocean. NASA's Earth Observatory says an island rose above the surface of the water around 12 hours after an eruption began Sept. 10 on a...
International Space Station's
Final Resting Place: Point Nemo
Feb 1, 2022 1:56 PM CST
International Space Station's Final Resting Place: Point Nemo
NASA releases updated transition plan
- NASA on Tuesday provided an updated International Space Station transition plan —including what will happen when deorbit occurs in 2031. The report states that "based on the ISS structural health analysis performed to date, there is high confidence that ISS life can be further extended through 2030,"...
We're About to Get Unique
Look at the Life of Salmon
Feb 1, 2022 12:42 PM CST
We're About to Get Unique Look at the Life of Salmon
First-of-its-kind international expedition will study them in the sea in winter
- Scientists have a pretty good idea of the ways of salmon when the fish are in inland waters at the beginning and end of their lives. But that stretch in between, when they spend up to seven years at sea? Not so much. Now, however, a first-of-its-kind international expedition is...
Storm of Season
May 10, 2021 1:45 AM CDT
We Already Have Our First Named Storm of Season
Andres is earliest tropical storm on record to form in eastern Pacific
- Hurricane season doesn't start in the eastern Pacific until Saturday, but the first tropical storm of the season is already here: Andres, which formed hundreds of miles off the west coast of Mexico and had sustained winds of 40mph Sunday. While tropical systems are known to develop before the...
Japan Ready to Dump
Wall of Fukushima Water
Apr 13, 2021 7:24 AM CDT
Japan Ready to Dump Wall of Fukushima Water
China says move 'will pose serious harm' to people outside Japan
- Japan has confirmed that more than 1.25 million tons of treated wastewater from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant will be dumped in the Pacific Ocean . The radioactive water pumped through three damaged reactor cores to keep them from melting will be gradually released beginning in two years, according...
Oldest Known Wild Bird
Offers Reason to Celebrate
Mar 5, 2021 11:32 AM CST
Oldest Known Wild Bird Offers Reason to Celebrate
Wisdom the albatross welcomes a chick at 70
- She's a mom again at 70. Wisdom the Laysan albatross, considered the oldest known wild bird , has welcomed a new chick at the Midway Atoll National Wildlife Refuge in the Pacific Ocean near Hawaii, where more than a million albatross nest each year, per the
. The chick that...
He Fell Overboard, Swam
Toward a Black Dot, Survived
in case you missed it
Feb 28, 2021 9:00 AM CST
He Fell Overboard, Swam Toward a Black Dot, Survived
Cargo ship engineer Vidam Perevertilov was rescued 14 hours later
- A Lithuanian man has survived an incredible 14 hours in the Pacific Ocean after falling off a cargo ship during a 3,500-mile supply run. The
's chief engineer, Vidam Perevertilov, felt dizzy after a night shift in the engine room as the ship traveled from Tauranga, New...
3 Unwanted Letters for
Gray Whales: U-M-E
Jan 31, 2021 11:30 AM CST
3 Unwanted Letters for Gray Whales: U-M-E
'Unexplained mortality event': Scientists worry about prolonged spike in deaths
- Back in 2019, scientists reported an alarming spike in the number of deaths of gray whales along the Pacific Coast. Now, a new study in the
Marine Ecology Progress Series
journal confirms the trend continued through 2020. In what they term an "unusual mortality event," researchers have counted...
Family of 4 Went to the
Beach. Only One Left It
Jan 6, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Family of 4 Went to the Beach. Only One Left It
2 kids presumed dead after father drowns in sneaker wave
- A California woman went to the beach with her partner and two children on Sunday, but tragically, she was the only one to return home. A sneaker wave struck at Blind Beach near Jenner around 2:30pm, knocking down the couple, their 4-year-old son, and 7-year-old daughter, Monte Rio Fire...
Russia, US Just Had
a Tiff in Disputed Waters
Nov 24, 2020 11:40 AM CST
Russia, US Just Had a Tiff in Disputed Waters
Russia claims it chased off American ship, but the US says that's a lie
- The US and Russian navies just had a confrontation in disputed territory, and each side has a very different story to tell. Russia's defense ministry says it chased off the USS John S. McCain when the destroyer ventured into Russian waters in the western Pacific, reports CBS News . Russia...
Destined for Pacific: Reports
Oct 16, 2020 9:28 AM CDT
Fukushima Wastewater Destined for Pacific: Reports
Formal announcement is reportedly coming soon
- Japan's government has decided to release some 1.3 million tons of contaminated water from the Fukushima power plant into the ocean as speculated . That's according to local media reports published Friday. Reuters reports a formal announcement will come later this month, though Japan's industry minister Hiroshi...
Jul 23, 2020 12:06 PM CDT
Batten Down the Hatches, Hawaii
Hurricane Douglas expected to deliver harsh weather on Sunday
- The first hurricane of the 2020 eastern Pacific season is expected to bring strong winds, dangerous surf, and heavy rainfall to Hawaii on Sunday. The storm, Douglas , intensified Thursday into a Category 3 hurricane, with wind speeds of 120mph. The hurricane, currently about 1,470 miles east-southeast of Hilo, is...
100mph Police Chase
Ends at Cliff's Edge
Jul 1, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
100mph Police Chase Ends at Cliff's Edge
Carjacking suspect drove right off the precipice and into the Pacific Ocean in Santa Cruz, Calif.
- A police chase this week in California led to a carjacking suspect plunging over the side of a cliff in the vehicle he was driving—and living to tell the tale. In a statement cited by NBC News , the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office says a report came in...
West Coast Waters
Hide Alarming Secret
Dec 19, 2019 10:40 AM CST
West Coast Waters Hide Alarming Secret
New study finds startling coastal acidification
- Those majestic West Coast waters? They hold a secret, and some of our most valuable fisheries could hang in the balance. A new study says US Pacific coastal waters are acidifying at twice the global ocean average, posing a major threat to fisheries there, the
The Cocaine Saved Them.
Then It Got Them Busted
Oct 3, 2019 11:24 AM CDT
The Cocaine Saved Them. Then It Got Them Busted
Suspected drug smugglers found clinging to bales in Pacific after boat overturns
- They can thank their drug bundles for both saving their lives and possibly ruining them. ABC Australia reports that three men from Colombia were plucked out of the Pacific over the weekend after spending hours in shark-filled waters. The alleged drug-runners, who were said by authorities to have departed from...
Investor Says Ocean
Cleaning Boom Is Working
Oct 3, 2019 2:02 AM CDT
Investor Says Ocean Cleaning Boom Is Working
He plans to send another system to Pacific plastic patch
- After a series of setbacks, a system for catching plastic floating in the Pacific between California and Hawaii is now working, its Dutch inventor says. Boyan Slat, a university dropout who founded the Ocean Cleanup nonprofit, announced Wednesday that the floating boom is skimming up waste ranging in size from...
Huge Raft of Pumice
Is Floating in the Ocean
in case you missed it
Aug 31, 2019 2:30 PM CDT
Huge Raft of Pumice Is Floating in the Ocean
It rose up from a volcano, and might end up helping the Great Barrier Reef
- Australia's Great Barrier Reef is in trouble , but the ocean itself might be sending some slow-moving relief. An enormous floating island of pumice is headed toward Australia, and it could deliver new marine life to the endangered reef, reports CNN . The odd development is the result of an underwater...
In Wild Video, Coast Guard
Member Leaps Onto Drug Sub
Jul 12, 2019 7:51 AM CDT
In Wild Video, Coast Guard Member Leaps Onto Drug Sub
'This is as satisfying as it gets'
- Stunning video shows just how far the US Coast Guard will go to stop suspected drug smugglers. The minute-long video released Thursday shows a member of the US Coast Guard Cutter Munro jumping onto a semi-submersible vessel carrying 17,000 pounds of cocaine worth $232 million in the East Pacific...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Arrest Made in Ambush Murder of Microsoft Exec
After Boy, 6, Shoots Teacher, Superintendent Shown the Door
DA Says Mother Will Be Charged With Killing 2 Kids
Nomination of 12-Year-Old for Worst Actress Causes Backlash
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.