Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Travel Kicks Off
Dec 31, 2021 2:15 PM CST
Holiday Weekend Travel Kicks Off With Cancellations
Airlines blame crew shortages, weather
- More canceled flights frustrated air travelers on the final day of 2021 and appeared all but certain to inconvenience hundreds of thousands more over the New Year's holiday weekend. Airlines blamed many of the cancellations on crew shortages related to the spike in COVID-19 infections, with wintry weather in...
America's Flight Woes
Stretch Into Day 5
Dec 28, 2021 7:33 AM CST
America's Flight Woes Stretch Into Day 5
Tuesday brings more delays, cancellations
If you were hoping today would bring the reprieve to the travel woes that have been persisting since Friday, bad news: Another swatch of flights have already been canceled on Tuesday. CNN cites FlightAware data that shows roughly 700 flights within, into, or out of the US have been...
Dec 26, 2021 1:40 PM CST
Omicron Adds Flight Cancellations
Airlines say they're short-staffed because of the variant's surge
- Airlines canceled hundreds more flights Sunday, citing staffing problems tied to COVID-19, as the nation's travel woes extended beyond Christmas, with no clear indication when normal schedules would resume. More than 700 flights entering, leaving, or flying within the US were called off, according to the flight-tracking website FlightAware....
Dec 24, 2021 6:56 AM CST
Thanks, Omicron: Hundreds of Christmas Eve Flights Canceled
United, Delta, and Alaska are canceling flights
- Not exactly what holiday travelers want to hear the day before Christmas Eve: Three airlines announced Thursday they were canceling flights for the following day due to the omicron variant of COVID-19. United Airlines canceled more than 150 flights, saying "the nationwide spike in omicron cases this week has...
Spirit Airlines Battered by
Day 4 of Big Problems
Aug 4, 2021 2:11 PM CDT
Spirit Airlines Battered by Day 4 of Big Problems
60% of Wednesday's flights have been canceled
- Spirit Airlines' run of "extremely difficult" days continued on Wednesday, the fourth straight day in which it has been forced to cancel a hefty chunk of its scheduled flights, with many more being delayed. The airline's word on the cause: "overlapping operational challenges including weather, system outages,...
Storms, Staffing Cancel Flights
Dec 24, 2020 5:11 PM CST
Storms, Staffing Cancel Flights
With fewer pilots, Delta struggles with logistics
- Logistical complications brought on by the pandemic, piled on top of a snowstorm, led Delta Air Lines to cancel hundereds of flights for Wednesday and Thursday. Anticipating the snowfall at its Minneapolis hub, the airline scrapped 250 flights early, the
reports. Staffing problems brought the cancellation of another...
Nov 25, 2018 2:44 PM CST
Blizzards Hit Millions, Ground Hundreds of Flights
Chicago and Kansas City expect to be hit hard
- A winter storm blanketed much of the central Midwest with snow on Sunday at the end of the Thanksgiving weekend, bringing blizzard-like conditions that grounded hundreds of flights and forced the closure of major highways on one of the busiest travel days of the year, the AP reports. "It'...
Ryanair Pokes at
British Airways Over
Crippling IT Failure
May 29, 2017 9:46 AM CDT
Ryanair Pokes at British Airways Over Crippling IT Failure
CEO Alex Cruz says all issues were 'local' and fixed by 'local resources'
- It's close but no cigar for British Airways. The airline has fully restored all its long-haul services out of Heathrow following Saturday's crippling IT failure , but Monday marks the third day of related delays and cancellations, particularly when it comes to short-haul flights. The AP reports BA axed...
Spirit Cancels Multiple Flights,
Melee Breaks Out
May 9, 2017 9:41 AM CDT
Spirit Cancels Multiple Flights, Melee Breaks Out
Police called to the scene at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood airport
- Spirit Airlines customers were not happy when as many as nine flights were canceled Monday night at Florida's Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport—in fact, they were so unhappy, police had to be called in. Video posted by onlookers and witness reports detail a massively chaotic scene, complete with yelling...
More Flights as
Woes Drag on
Aug 9, 2016 9:18 AM CDT
Delta Cancels More Flights as Woes Drag on
Airline offering travel vouchers to those affected
- Delta's travails, and those of its customers, move into day two with the airline canceling nearly 250 flights, reports the AP . The cancellations Tuesday follow about 1,000 canceled flights Monday and almost 3,000 delayed flights after an outage at its Atlanta headquarters caused a global systems failure...
Warnings, Advice Pile Up
as Northeast Blizzard Looms
Jan 26, 2015 7:38 AM CST
Warnings, Advice Pile Up as Northeast Blizzard Looms
United cancels all NYC, Philly, Boston flights
- Thousands of flights in the Northeast have already been canceled for today and tomorrow as dire warnings about a coming blizzard pile up, and some 30 million people hunker down, reports NPR . Some 2,000 flights have been canceled for today, with another 1,800 nixed for tomorrow, FlightAware.com...
More Than a Mile
Nov 30, 2014 4:26 PM CST
Chicago Airport Lines Stretch More Than a Mile
1.8K flights delayed across country
- If you're reading this while you wait in line at Chicago's Midway Airport, we wish you the best of luck. Lines at security have reportedly reached more than a mile long today, Gawker reports. According to one tweet : "The line for TSA at Midway airport leaves the...
Mar 3, 2014 8:34 AM CST
Snow Pounds East Coast Yet Again
DC could see 12 inches; 2K flights canceled
- It may be March, but the winter weather isn't over. The East Coast is once again getting pummeled by snow, with Washington, DC, and other mid-Atlantic cities expecting between six and 12 inches, AccuWeather reports. Ice, meanwhile, could reach to Charlotte, NC. Virginia, Tennessee, and Delaware are among states...
Atlanta Losing Power as
'Catastrophic' Storm Begins
Feb 12, 2014 7:59 AM CST
Atlanta Losing Power as 'Catastrophic' Storm Begins
Georgia governor: Ice 'our biggest enemy'
- The warnings haven't minced words , and the potentially "catastrophic" weather set to hit the South has begun, with Atlanta already feeling the effects: Some 39,000 and counting have lost power there, with that number climbing by the thousands within spans as short as 10 minutes. In terms...
Jan 28, 2014 7:09 AM CST
Deep South Braces for 'Paralyzing' Winter Storm
Schools closed; hundreds of flights canceled
- The next big winter storm is reportedly on its way, and this time, it's the Deep South that will be feeling its effects. The Weather Channel sees 40 million people in the path of Winter Storm Leon, which an expert says could bring once-in-a-generation weather; another calls the storm...
3 Feet of Snow
Could Bury Boston
Feb 8, 2013 7:57 AM CST
3 Feet of Snow Could Bury Boston
New York City could get more than a foot
- The blizzard barreling toward the Northeast is still on track to bury New England and New York City later today, reports AP . The big airlines have canceled nearly 3,000 flights so far, reports CNN , and that number is only going to grow. Boston could get three feet of snow...
Off the Charts—Again
Jan 29, 2013 6:52 AM CST
Beijing Pollution Off the Charts—Again
On scale that goes to 500, it registers 526
- Once again , air pollution in Beijing is literally off the charts. It's gotten so bad that airlines have had to cancel flights as locals wear face masks for protection, and state news says it's difficult to see beyond 100 yards in sections of eastern China. Airborne particulate...
Takes Aim at
Dec 27, 2012 5:54 AM CST
Winter Storm Takes Aim at East Coast
Thousands of flights already canceled
- The winter weather that ravaged much of the country yesterday is pummeling the East Coast, and thousands more flights have already been canceled, CNN reports. Parts of Pennsylvania have already been hit with up to a foot of snow, MSNBC notes, and central Maine could see more than two feet...
Midwest Blizzard Kills 7
Dec 21, 2012 6:10 AM CST
Midwest Blizzard Kills 7
1K flights canceled as storm begins to pass
- Seven people died across four states as a winter storm continued to tear through the Midwest, dumping more than a foot of snow on sections of Iowa and Wisconsin. A 25-car pileup in Iowa killed two people, and nearly 100 accidents were reported in the state by late last night....
Volcano Could Cancel
Up to 500 Flights
May 24, 2011 6:45 AM CDT
Volcano Could Cancel Up to 500 Flights
But officials say this won't be as bad as last year's eruption
- The volcanic ash cloud drifting from Iceland toward Europe has already caused more than 250 flights to be canceled, and that number could rise to 500, according to the European air traffic agency. Clouds have already affected Iceland and Scotland and could reach northern Europe within 48 hours, the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
Removal of Roosevelt Statue Begins
Wife of Cryptocurrency CEO Maintains She Watched Him Die
She Died on African Hunting Trip. 5 Years Later, Husband Is Arrested
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.