Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
A World Dispute Is Making Clocks Run Slow
Enmity between Serbia and Kosovo is affecting alarm clocks throughout Europe
- Some international disputes have strange consequences: This one has the potential to make millions of people late for appointments across Europe. It seems that clocks in 25 nations from Poland to Turkey are running up to six minutes slow because of enmity between Serbia and Kosovo, reports the BBC . The...
London's Big Ben Clocks Out Until 2021
'You don't know what you've got till it's gone'
- With a dozen deep bongs, Britain's Big Ben sounded the hour for the last time Monday before falling silent for repair work due to last almost four years . The giant bell atop Parliament's clock tower rang out at noon, as it has almost every hour since 1859, becoming...
Clock Kid's Family Sues School
Ahmed Mohamed's family files suit over his arrest
- The family of a Muslim boy who was arrested after bringing a homemade clock to school has sued Texas school officials, saying they violated the 14-year-old boy's civil rights. The lawsuit was filed Monday on behalf of Ahmed Mohamed, reports the AP . The teen was arrested at his suburban...
Museum Visitor Caught on Video Breaking Rare Clock
'This is why we beg visitors not to touch'
- Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Unless that clock has been smashed into pieces by a museum-goer with self-control issues. In that case, it's totally useless. NBC Philadelphia reports a visitor to the National Watch & Clock Museum in Pennsylvania was caught on video Tuesday poking...
You Get an Extra Hour of Sleep Tonight
Time to turn the clocks back
- It's time to reclaim that hour of sleep you lost last spring. Most of the United States is turning back the clock this weekend for the annual shift back to standard time. For many, that means making the switch before hitting the sack tonight, even though the change doesn'...
Tennessee Considers Eternal Daylight Savings Time
Proposal for permanent Daylight Savings Time called a 'wangdanger'
- Tennessee might be done turning its clocks back. The state's House State Government Subcommittee has approved a bill that would end the practice of adjusting the clocks twice a year, effective this summer, effectively giving the state permanent Daylight Savings Time, the
Knoxville News Sentinel
reports. "It will...
Scientists Build a Better Clock—With Lasers
One step closer to clock that could redefine the second
- Scientists are one step closer to officially replacing those clunky old atomic clocks (accurate to one second every 100 million years—how did we even put up with such vagueness for so long?) with cutting-edge optical lattice clocks (accurate to one second every 300 million years—finally!), the BBC...
Stop Time-Change Madness: Here's a Solution
Op-Ed: Let's create a 'New Standard Time' and be done with it
- This is one of Kathryn Wilkens' least favorite weekends of the year. On Sunday, she's got to reset her clocks—and her stove, and her watches, and her VCR, and ... you get the picture. But unlike a lot of others carping about the antiquated practice of converting to or from...
Clock Switch May Be Good for Ticker
Heart attacks dip after clocks fall back
- Does turning clocks back in the autumn and forward in spring affect the risk of heart attack? New research suggests it may. Scientists found a 5% drop in heart attacks the day after clocks are changed in the fall, but discovered a 5% increase when clocks are moved ahead in...
Turn Clocks Ahead Tonight
Some doubt that daylight saving time conserves energy
- Time flies when you’re trying to save energy: Americans will have to spring their clocks forward by an hour tonight—technically at 2am— for daylight saving time. The sleep-reducing tradition is happening a month earlier than usual in a government effort to cut down on electricity use and take...
Popular on Newser
Mysterious Monolith Discovered in Utah
Secret NYC Wedding Was Attended by Thousands
GSA Boss Wants Law Changed
Trump: We're Still Fighting
Under Fire From Progressives, Feinstein Makes a Change
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.