Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In 'Major Upset,'
Steve King Is Out
Jun 3, 2020 6:54 AM CDT
In 'Major Upset,' Steve King Is Out
Iowa voters oust 9-term congressman
- In what CNN calls a "major upset," Republicans in northwest Iowa ousted Rep. Steve King in Tuesday’s primary, deciding they’ve had enough of the conservative lightning rod known for making incendiary comments about immigrants and white supremacy throughout his nearly two decades in Congress. The nine-term...
Congressman's Drink of Water
Becomes a Flashpoint
Sep 5, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Congressman's Drink of Water Becomes a Flashpoint
Steve King says claims of immigrants drinking out of toilets are overblown, but AOC fires back
- Seldom has a drink of water caused such a political controversy. But Congressman Steve King's gulp at an immigration detention facility has reignited a debate about conditions on the US-Mexico border and drawn Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez into the fray. The details about what's going on:
The start of it:
Republicans Slam Rep. King's
'Bizarre' Rape Remarks
Aug 15, 2019 3:31 AM CDT
Republicans Slam Rep. King's 'Bizarre' Rape Remarks
Iowa Republican defends abortion ban
- Rep. Steve King's latest remarks are being called "offensive," "appalling," and "bizarre"—and that's from his fellow Republicans. The Iowa lawmaker, speaking to the Westside Conservative Club in Urbandale Wednesday, argued that most of the world's population is the product of...
Steve King Can Now Relate:
I Get What Jesus Went Through
Apr 24, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Steve King Can Now Relate: I Get What Jesus Went Through
Iowa congressman compared House censure for racist remarks to what Christ endured
- If there's anyone who can relate to what Jesus went through, it's ... Steve King? Definitely, according to Steve King. Per Politico and CNN , the GOP Iowa congressman— recently censured by his colleagues in the House and stripped of committee assignments for racist remarks—attended a town hall Tuesday...
With Water in Restaurant
Mar 24, 2019 6:05 AM CDT
Congressman Doused With Water in Restaurant
Patron is arrested after incident with controversial Steve King
- Iowa congressman Steve King may be used to hearing criticism over controversial statements , but that criticism took a much more personal turn on Friday. Police in Fort Dodge, Iowa, arrested a man after they say he threw a glass of water on King at a restaurant, reports KCCI . Blake Gibbins,...
Steve King Finds
New Way to
Mar 23, 2019 12:48 PM CDT
Steve King Finds New Way to Offend
The Iowa Republican favorably compares flood victims in his home state
- Rack up another racially tinged remark for Steve King. The Iowa representative Thursday compared Iowa flood victims to Hurricane Katrina victims in New Orleans in 2005—and the Iowans come out a little better in his eyes, CNN reports. "Here's what FEMA tells me. We go to a...
Steve King Shares Meme
About a New Civil War
Mar 19, 2019 9:14 AM CDT
Steve King Shares Meme About a New Civil War
Controversial congressman courts more controversy
- Congressman Steve King has been lobbying to have his House committeeships restored after he was stripped of them over incendiary comments , notes Roll Call . This won't help. The Iowa conservative posted a jokey meme about a modern civil war. King has since deleted the post, but you can see...
Steve King: 'I Have Nothing
to Apologize For'
Feb 21, 2019 7:12 PM CST
Steve King: 'I Have Nothing to Apologize For'
Iowa congressman will run for 10th term after rebuke from peers over race comments
- Firebrand congressman Steve King has no plans to give up his job, despite a recent rebuke from his own peers. The GOP representative from Iowa said Thursday that he plans to run for a 10th term next year, reports the
Des Moines Register
. "I have nothing to apologize for,...
In Rare Move, Congressman
Punished Over Race Remarks
Jan 15, 2019 5:36 AM CST
In Rare Move, Congressman Punished Over Race Remarks
Steve King loses his committee assignments after defending white supremacy
- Rep. Steve King, the lawmaker that Stephen King hates being confused with , has finally gone too far for his fellow House Republicans. The Iowan is being stripped of all his committee assignments after his controversial remarks about white supremacism , the
reports. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy said Monday that...
Steve King's Comments on
White Nationalism Earn Rebuke
Jan 10, 2019 6:46 PM CST
Steve King's Comments on White Nationalism Earn Rebuke
He wonders why the terms 'white supremacist' and 'white nationalist' are offensive
- Conservative Rep. Steve King is taking serious flak this week, and it's coming from within his own party. The latest example: On Thursday, the third-ranking Republican in the House—Liz Cheney—rebuked the controversial Iowa congressman for comments he made about white nationalism in an interview with the
GOP Rep Accused of White
Nationalism After Tweet
Mar 13, 2017 7:47 AM CDT
GOP Rep Accused of White Nationalism After Tweet
Steve King praises far-right Dutch pol, rails against 'somebody else's babies'
- GOP Rep. Steve King, who recently courted controversy by trying to keep Harriet Tubman off the $20 bill , found himself at the center of new outrage Sunday when he brought Twitter "to a screeching halt" with what the BBC calls an "inflammatory" post complimenting far-right Dutch politician Geert...
Iowa Rep Tries
to Keep Harriet
Jun 22, 2016 8:14 AM CDT
Iowa Rep Tries to Keep Harriet Tubman Off $20, Fails
Steve King called move to swap in Tubman for Andrew Jackson 'racist,' 'sexist'
- It was announced in April that abolitionist Harriet Tubman would be replacing Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill, but at least one Iowa lawmaker says it's "racist" and "sexist" to even consider adding a woman of color to US currency. "It's not about Harriet Tubman,...
Cruz on Cheney Shooting Accident: 'It Happens'
Oct 26, 2013 5:25 PM CDT
Cruz on Cheney Shooting Accident: 'It Happens'
While out hunting with Steve King
- Ted Cruz has defended Dick Cheney's infamous 2006 hunting accident, saying, "Look, it happens." The GOP senator made the remark while out hunting himself today, alongside fellow Republican congressman Steve King. King said the incident, in which Cheney accidentally shot a friend while out quail hunting, "...
Obama: This Is
How We Should
Jul 14, 2013 2:56 PM CDT
Obama: This Is How We Should Honor Trayvon...
Calls for 'calm reflection' in wake of Zimmerman trial
- As the aftermath of George Zimmerman's acquittal continues to unfold—the
reports protests across the nation with more planned for the future—Obama has issued a statement, asking for Americans to "respect the call for calm reflection from two parents who lost their young son,"...
Oct 24, 2011 4:55 PM CDT
Tea Party Caucuses Get Quiet
House, Senate groups haven't met in months
- In January, the Senate Tea Party Caucus was in full swing, holding a meeting on Capitol Hill—but neither that group nor its House counterpart have done much of anything since. Though a leader of the Senate caucus points out that “it’s only been nine months,” the...
Oct 15, 2011 1:04 PM CDT
Key GOP Endorsements to Watch
Politico has Kelly Ayotte, Steve King, and Marco Rubio on its list
- With states leapfrogging each other to move elections ever closer, we've just about arrived at crunch time for endorsement season. Chris Christie may be done , but Politico lists a dozen yet to come that could prove pivotal for Republicans. Along with some of the usual suspects (Sarah Palin, Rush...
Sep 14, 2011 10:07 AM CDT
GOP Rep: Get Obama's 'Drunken Uncle' Down Here
Steve King thinks there's a double standard here
- Rep. Steve King thinks President Obama's latest family embarrassment, the boozing Onyango Obama, is getting preferential treatment in his drunk-driving case, so the Iowa Republican wants to give him a little more special attention—in the way of a House hearing. "We have to bring drunken 'Uncle...
to Black Farmers
Jul 19, 2011 4:22 AM CDT
Bachmann Slams Funds to Black Farmers
Money should go to flood victims instead, candidate says
- Michele Bachmann says money being used to compensate black farmers who charged the federal government with grant and loan discrimination would be better spent helping US flood victims. The candidate, after touring flooded areas along the Missouri River with Republican Rep. Steve King yesterday, pointed to the multi-billion-dollar Pigford settlement...
Hot Trend in the House:
Apr 14, 2011 11:40 AM CDT
Hot Trend in the House: Fasting Lawmakers
Steve King, Barbara Lee go without for different reasons
picks up on a House trend that seems to span the political spectrum—fasting. On the left is Rep. Barbara Lee, who's organizing an effort in which about two dozen lawmakers will take turns going 24 hours with no food, only water, until Easter. The idea is...
Arizona Rep. Wishes for
'One More Gun' at Shooting
Jan 13, 2011 7:04 AM CST
Arizona Rep. Wishes for 'One More Gun' at Shooting
Presumably, a gun that could have stopped Jared Loughner
- Don’t count Arizona Rep. Trent Franks among those calling for increased gun control in the wake of Gabrielle Giffords’ shooting. "I wish there had been one more gun there that day in the hands of a responsible person, that's all I have to say," said the Republican,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law & Order Actress Drowns in NY River
Witness at Surprise Jan. 6 Hearing Is Revealed
46 Found Dead in 18-Wheeler in San Antonio
Trump Reportedly Lunged for Steering Wheel on Jan. 6
After Going Dark in 2020, 'Q' of QAnon Is Back
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.