Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
Black Pastor Called Cops on
Mob. They Arrested Him
Jun 15, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
Black Pastor Called Cops on Mob. They Arrested Him
Va. sheriff makes apology, announces hate crime charges against 5
- A Virginia sheriff has apologized to a black pastor who was arrested after calling 911 on a group of white people who threatened to kill him after trying to dump a refrigerator on his property. Shenandoah County Sheriff Timothy Carter made the apology to Leon McCray Sr. of Woodstock on...
Woman Arrested After
Racist Notes Taped to Homes
May 27, 2020 9:35 AM CDT
Woman Arrested After Racist Notes Taped to Homes
Police say Nancy Arechiga, 52, had more of the notes in her backpack
- A woman in the San Francisco Bay Area has been arrested on suspicion of posting handwritten messages at several homes, targeting Asian Americans and suggesting that those not native to the United States should leave the country immediately. Police in San Leandro, a suburb of 89,000 just south of...
Feds Probing Local Officials in
Ahmaud Arbery Killing: Lawyer
May 26, 2020 4:00 AM CDT
Feds Probing Local Officials in Ahmaud Arbery Killing: Lawyer
Family's attorney also says shooting is being investigated as a hate crime
- The slaying of Ahmaud Arbery is being investigated as a federal hate crime, the attorney for Arbery's family tells CNN . S. Lee Merritt says he met with the United States Attorney for the Southern District of Georgia and was told of the development, but there has been no official...
Cops: Man Fired AK-47
Into Cuban Embassy in DC
May 1, 2020 12:05 AM CDT
Cops: Man Fired AK-47 Into Cuban Embassy in DC
DC shooting is a 'suspected hate crime'
- A man armed with an assault rifle was arrested after opening fire outside the Cuban Embassy in Washington, DC, early Thursday, his bullets tearing holes into the walls and pillars near the front entrance in what authorities suspect was a hate crime. The gunfire broke out around 2am. outside the...
'This Is America!
Mar 1, 2020 2:30 PM CST
Female Attacker: 'This Is America! Speak English!'
Two Massachusetts women are collared for alleged assault in East Boston
- Two white women allegedly attacked a Boston mom and daughter in part because the victims were speaking Spanish, NBC Boston reports. "My daughter and I were attacked, punched, kicked, and bitten by two white women," says the mother, identified only as Ms. Vasquez, 46. "As they beat...
Family:Things Look 'Dire' for
Victim of Anti-Semitic Attack
Jan 2, 2020 7:02 AM CST
Family:Things Look 'Dire' for Victim of Anti-Semitic Attack
Relatives of 71-year-old Josef Neumann say he likely won't recover after Hanukkah stabbing
- Just one of five Jewish people stabbed at a Hanukkah celebration in upstate New York is still hospitalized, but his family says his condition is "dire" and it doesn't look like he'll recover. "Doctors are not optimistic about his chances to regain consciousness" says a statement...
Attacker at Rabbi's Home:
'Nobody's Going Anywhere'
Dec 30, 2019 6:55 AM CST
Attacker at Rabbi's Home: 'Nobody's Going Anywhere'
Cuomo calls attack domestic terrorism
- Chilling details have emerged from Saturday's stabbing attack during a Hanukkah celebration at a rabbi's home north of New York City. Police and witnesses say an attacker identified as Grafton E. Thomas closed the door of the Monsey home and told people "Nobody's going anywhere,"...
Dec 28, 2019 12:30 PM CST
Paul Haggis Must Face 'Hate Crime' Accusation
Haleigh Breest's accusation against him can stand, court rules
- A movie director's alleged rape of a colleague is now an alleged hate crime. On Thursday, a New York appeals court ruled that accuser Haleigh Breest can proceed with her claim that Paul Haggis perpetrated a gender-motivated hate crime when he allegedly raped her in 2013, per the
Police Say Driver Ran Over
Boy Just Before Hitting Teen
Dec 23, 2019 7:30 PM CST
Police Say Driver Ran Over Boy Just Before Hitting Teen
Woman now faces hate crime charge, as well
- Police in Iowa have added a hate crime to the attempted murder charge facing a driver who officials said told them she ran over a 14-year-old girl because the teenager was Mexican. Nicole Marie Poole Franklin of Des Moines now faces another attempted murder charge, as well. Des Moines police...
Man Gets 15-Plus Years
for Burning Pride Flag
Dec 20, 2019 10:15 AM CST
Man Gets 15-Plus Years for Burning Pride Flag
Adolfo Martinez said it was his 'honor' to set LGBT banner on fire in Ames, Iowa
- An Iowa man will have a lot of time to reflect on how burning an LGBTQ flag in June wasn't the right move. The AP reports that Adolfo Martinez, 30, was convicted last month, and Wednesday he was sentenced to at least 15 years behind bars for an arson...
Teen's Craigslist Slave Ad
Results in Hate Crime Charges
Nov 21, 2019 12:59 PM CST
Teen's Craigslist Slave Ad Results in Hate Crime Charges
Boy in Naperville, Illinois, posted photo of black classmate
- A white teenager in Illinois is facing serious legal trouble after posting an offensive ad on Craigslist involving a black classmate. The 14-year-old boy took a photo of the other 14-year-old while they were sitting at a lunch table together and put it up on the site under the listing...
Cops: NY Woman Harassed
Toddler With Rare Disorder
Nov 11, 2019 8:11 AM CST
Cops: NY Woman Harassed Toddler With Rare Disorder
Krista Sewell is accused of stalking 2-year-old Anna, who has condition that makes her skin split
- "Over the past year, I have fought a battle I never thought I would fight and I felt fear no mother should feel," says Jennie Riley. The battle the upstate New York mom refers to is that of a harassment campaign against her toddler, allegedly carried out by...
Then Acid to the Face
Nov 4, 2019 12:21 PM CST
An Argument About Immigrants, Then Acid to the Face
Suspect arrested in Milwaukee acid attack
- Mahud Villalaz was on his way into a Milwaukee restaurant for dinner Friday night when a man approached him and accused him of parking illegally—then, according to Villalaz, accused him of being in the country illegally. Villalaz, 42, moved his truck, but when he returned to the restaurant the...
Man Who Shared
Video Gets 21 Months
Jun 18, 2019 12:24 AM CDT
Man Who Shared Mosque Shooting Video Gets 21 Months
Judge accused him glorifying massacre
- A Christchurch businessman who shared a video of worshippers being slaughtered at a New Zealand mosque was sentenced on Tuesday to 21 months in prison. Philip Arps had earlier pleaded guilty to two counts of distributing the video, which was livestreamed on Facebook by a gunman on March 15 as...
Synagogue Suspect Pleads
Not Guilty to 109 Charges
May 15, 2019 12:23 AM CDT
Synagogue Suspect Pleads Not Guilty to 109 Charges
John Earnest faces federal hate crime charges
- The man suspected of killing a woman in a shooting at a southern California synagogue pleaded not guilty to 109 federal hate crime charges Tuesday. John T. Earnest spoke twice during the brief hearing—to acknowledge his name and to say he agreed with his court-appointed attorney's decision against...
Synagogue Suspect's Parents:
He's Now Part of
'History of Evil'
Apr 30, 2019 6:35 AM CDT
Synagogue Suspect's Parents: He's Now Part of 'History of Evil'
FBI got a tip minutes before shooting
- The FBI says it received tips Saturday morning about a potential mass shooting targeting Jews—but it didn't have time to act. A California man identified only as Colin, 25, tells BuzzFeed that he was browsing the 8chan bulletin board, which is notorious for racist content, out of curiosity...
for Mosque Arson
Apr 28, 2019 5:47 AM CDT
Synagogue Shooting Suspect Investigated for Mosque Arson
19-year-old John T. Earnest is charged in shooting that killed 1
- Police are digging into the background of the 19-year-old man being held in the California synagogue shooting that killed one and injured three on Saturday, reports the
San Diego Union-Tribune .
John T. Earnest apparently penned a lengthy anti-Semitic manifesto detailing his "disgust" for Jewish people and expressing admiration for...
Texas Executes Racist Who
Dragged Black Man to Death
Apr 24, 2019 7:25 PM CDT
Texas Executes Racist Who Dragged Black Man to Death
John William King is dead
- An avowed racist who orchestrated one of the most gruesome hate crimes in US history was executed Wednesday in Texas for the dragging death of a black man, the AP reports. John William King, who was white, received lethal injection for the slaying nearly 21 years ago of James Byrd...
Chicago Files Lawsuit
Against Jussie Smollett
Apr 12, 2019 3:05 AM CDT
Chicago Files Lawsuit Against Jussie Smollett
City wants him to pay police overtime costs
- The city of Chicago has made good on its promise to sue Jussie Smollett for the cost of investigating the attack it says he staged. In a lawsuit filed in Cook County Circuit Court on Thursday, city lawyers say they are seeking "the full measure of damages allowed under...
Enters Surprising Plea
Mar 27, 2019 4:50 PM CDT
Charlottesville Driver Enters Surprising Plea
James Alex Fields Jr. admits it was a hate crime
- A man convicted on state murder charges in a deadly car attack at a white nationalist rally in Virginia pleaded guilty Wednesday to federal hate crime charges in a case that stirred racial tensions across the country, the AP reports. Under a plea agreement, James Alex Fields Jr., of Maumee,...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
Fred Savage Accusers: His Eyes Would Go 'Dead'
Driver Acquitted in Deaths of 7 Bikers
A Former President Is Being Deposed Today
Secret Service Officer Assaulted Outside White House
Nebraska Mom, Daughter Charged After Teen's Abortion
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.