Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Norway Takes a Stance on
Photos Posted by Influencers
Jul 6, 2021 12:50 PM CDT
Norway Takes a Stance on Photos Posted by Influencers
Touched-up images on social media will need a label
- Khloe Kardashian received attention in April for trying to pull an unedited swimsuit photo of herself off the internet that may have been posted accidentally. To quiet the discussion about the issues that raised, she then put a revealing photo on Instagram , saying, "This is me and my body...
Why Kate Winslet
Sex Scene Edit
Jun 2, 2021 11:48 AM CDT
Why Kate Winslet Objected to Sex Scene Edit
She's a middle-aged actor playing a middle-aged woman, for one thing
- Kate Winslet plays Pennsylvania detective Mare Sheehan in HBO's
Mare of Easttown
, whose jaw-dropping finale aired Sunday. It's a role in which "there are clearly no filters," the actor tells the
New York Times
. It's "why people have connected with this character." It'...
National Archives: Sorry We
Doctored Anti-Trump Photo
Jan 19, 2020 5:38 AM CST
National Archives: Sorry We Doctored Anti-Trump Photo
'We made a mistake' in blurring photo from 2017 Women's March
- As the fourth Women's March took place in Washington, DC, on Saturday, the National Archive was busily apologizing for doctoring an image of the first one, saying in a statement that "we made a mistake." The agency had blurred President Trump's name out of a protest...
New Tool Reveals,
Nov 29, 2011 1:14 PM CST
New Tool Reveals, Ranks Photoshopping
Labels digitally altered images from 1 to 5
- Highly altered images of models and celebrities in fashion magazines have come under increasing scrutiny, with France even proposing that all airbrushed pictures come packaged with a health warning . A new tool could make that easier, as it analyzes photographs to detect digital retouching,
reports. Publishers have “gone...
Jan 22, 2010 12:23 PM CST
Stop Photoshopping Demi Moore
She looks better in Ashton Kutcher's Twitpic photo than in perfume ad
- Demi Moore is entangled in another Photoshop controversy, but at least this time she didn’t lose any body parts. Her recently released perfume ad is obviously retouched—and it’s especially striking when compared to a similar picture husband Ashton Kutcher posted on Twitter . “The main thing this...
Bringing Sexy Back?
How About Just Reality?
May 23, 2008 3:08 PM CDT
Bringing Sexy Back? How About Just Reality?
Beyond blemishes, glossies have retouched the truth out entirely
- Tired of seeing the truth airbrushed and Photoshopped entirely out of
and its glossy rack-mates, Mark Morford, in the
San Francisco Chronicle
, ruminates on his ideal reality-based publication. His mag—
My Eyes, My Eyes!
—will feature "wrinkles and scars and flab and sag, stretch...
Gone Too Far?
May 3, 2008 4:57 PM CDT
Has Airbrushing Gone Too Far?
Digital Barbie-fication of women called unhealthy trend
- Shutterbugs have long altered pics, but now critics are cringing over the effects of airbrushing on young girls. French lawmakers have even approved a law against inciting "excessive thinness." But would such a move work in America? Maybe not, "but there are a whole lot of impressionable...
Experts Work to Create Ways
to Identify Altered Photos
Mar 17, 2008 12:45 PM CDT
Experts Work to Create Ways to Identify Altered Photos
New tools can sniff out fakes
- As photo doctoring grows ever more sophisticated—and common—so does the art of “digital forensics,” or identifying fakes. Lighting is among the most tell-tale signs of a photo that’s been altered, reports
, because it’s hard to get it consistent. Still, current tools are...
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.