Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Octopus That Predated
Dinos Is Named After Biden
Mar 8, 2022 5:00 PM CST
Octopus That Predated Dinos Is Named After Biden
Newly dated 'Syllipsimopodi bideni' fossil goes back 330M years
- Scientists have found the oldest known ancestor of octopuses—an approximately 330 million-year-old fossil unearthed in Montana. The researchers concluded the ancient creature lived millions of years earlier than previously believed, meaning that octopuses originated before the era of dinosaurs, per the AP . The 4.7-inch fossil has 10 limbs—...
UK Set to Acknowledge
These Creatures Have Feelings
Nov 23, 2021 9:50 AM CST
UK Set to Acknowledge These Creatures Have Feelings
Crab, octopus, and other cephalopods, decapods, vertebrates to be classified as sentient beings
- A bill designating octopus, lobster, crab, and other animals as sentient beings capable of experiencing feelings and sensations including pain and distress, now moving through the UK parliament , could transform how such animals are treated in the country. The bill, which would see the creation of an Animal Sentience Committee...
Most Animals Don't Throw.
Female Octopuses Do
Sep 1, 2021 11:56 AM CDT
Most Animals Don't Throw. Female Octopuses Do
Behavior was spotted among octopuses off Australia
- When female octopuses are trying to keep males at bay, they throw stuff. Sometimes. So found a study that has yet to be peer-reviewed. Researchers from the US, Canada, and Australia say their finding builds on research done in 2015, in which they recorded wild octopuses in Jervis Bay off...
Goes After Swimmer
Apr 2, 2021 9:01 AM CDT
'Angriest Octopus' Goes After Swimmer
That's one too many scary beasts in Australia for some
- A man was taking a dip in sunny Australia—which we might as well call the land of beasts—when he was attacked by the "angriest octopus." Lance Karlson, a geologist and former lifeguard, was walking along the shores of Geographe Bay in Dunsborough, Western Australia, on March...
On the Ocean Floor,
Surprising Sucker Punches
Dec 28, 2020 10:35 AM CST
On the Ocean Floor, Surprising Sucker Punches
'I laughed out loud,' says researcher who documented behavior of octopuses toward fish
- "This was probably the most fun I had writing a paper," writes Eduardo Sampaio of the University of Lisbon. And the study in the journal
is indeed a weird one: Sampaio and his team observed that octopuses appear to sucker punch fishes, reports Gizmodo . You can see...
Expect This on
May 31, 2020 1:15 PM CDT
Scientists Didn't Expect This on the Ocean Floor
The 'Dumbo' octopus just defied expectations
- Imagine going deep underwater, spotting strange creatures in the dark—and making a first-ever find. That's what researchers say happened when they spotted a so-called "Dumbo" octopus on the Indian Ocean floor for the first time, Science Times reports. The white cephalopod, named after Disney's Dumbo for...
Octopus Filmed Trying
to Drown Bald Eagle
Dec 13, 2019 7:35 AM CST
Octopus Filmed Trying to Drown Bald Eagle
Both animals survive thanks to BC fish farmers
- It was bald eagle vs. octopus in what was likely to be a battle to the death. Then a group of Canadians intervened. The salmon farmers were on the water near Quatsino, BC, at the northwest tip of Vancouver Island on Monday when they heard "a lot of splashing...
Woman Who Put
Octopus on Her
Face: 'This Was
Not a Good Idea'
Aug 8, 2019 9:15 AM CDT
Woman Who Put Octopus on Her Face: 'This Was Not a Good Idea'
Jamie Bisceglia was trying to win a photo contest. Then the octopus bit her.
- We shouldn't have to tell people not to put octopuses on their faces, but here we are. It's a fact that Jamie Bisceglia herself now acknowledges, despite having done just that last week and suffering the consequences. HuffPost reports that the Washington state woman was participating in a...
Scuba Jaunt Takes
for This Diver
Jun 20, 2019 8:10 AM CDT
Scuba Jaunt Takes Frightening Turn for This Diver
Giant octopus latches onto him in Sea of Japan
- If ever there were a video that makes us glad we're safe on our sofa and not floating in the ocean, this would be it. News.com.au reports the clip comes out of the Sea of Japan, where a Russian scuba diver swimming around the Garrow Peninsula is...
Cops: Driver Crashed Car
While Trying to Avoid 'Octopus'
Feb 6, 2019 10:35 AM CST
Cops: Driver Crashed Car While Trying to Avoid 'Octopus'
Not a great defense when you're 3 miles inland
- A UK driver whose vehicle landed upside down in a ditch swerved "to avoid an octopus" on the road—or so police say he claimed. The 49-year-old, who escaped major injury, was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of drugs on Tuesday after police found no sign...
Sep 20, 2018 2:57 PM CDT
Ecstasy May Make Octopuses Cuddly
New study finds octopuses appear to get more social after being dosed with MDMA
- What happens when an octopus takes ecstasy? Apparently, the same thing that happens to humans—at least according to a new, admittedly small study run by Gül Dölen, a neuroscientist at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Ecstasy, also known as MDMA, makes people feel more sociable, less...
Fish Seller Buys Octopus
for Unexpected Reason
May 28, 2018 2:30 PM CDT
Fish Seller Buys Octopus for Unexpected Reason
Giovanni DeGarimore feels a connection with the creature
- A California fish-market owner bought an octopus and set it free because he feels a certain affinity with cephalopods, the
San Francisco Chronicle
reports. Giovanni DeGarimore, owner of Giovanni's Fish Market in Morro Bay, bought the 70-pounder earlier this month for a couple hundred dollars from a local crab...
An Octopus Birth,
Then a Surprise
Burst of Color
Feb 12, 2018 9:40 AM CST
An Octopus Birth, Then a Surprise Burst of Color
Video by Virginia Aquarium viewed 2.4M times
- It happens almost in the blink of an eye. A colorless creature pops from a bundle of eggs, turns a brownish-purple hue, and swims away. It's a rare sight now witnessed by millions, thanks to the Virginia Aquarium, which shared a video of the Caribbean reef octopus's birth...
Student Discovers Sneaky
New Octopus Species
Dec 29, 2017 8:00 AM CST
Student Discovers Sneaky New Octopus Species
'Frilled giant Pacific octopus' has avoided detection until now
- The world has a new octopus: Meet the "frilled giant Pacific octopus," newly detected by a student at Alaska Pacific University working on his senior thesis, reports Earther . The creature resembles the familiar giant Pacific octopus, but Nathan Hollenback not only laid out some distinctive visual differences but...
Mysterious Octopus Invasion
Rocks Beach in Wales
Oct 30, 2017 9:40 AM CDT
Mysterious Octopus Invasion Rocks Beach in Wales
Stormy atmosphere may have confused the creatures
- It's not quite the Norman conquest , but another invasion is worrying locals in West Wales. Scores of octopuses have "walked" out of the Irish Sea and beached themselves on the sand in New Quay, Ceredigion, Wales Online reports. The phenomenon has marine experts scratching their heads. "We...
Surprise Ocean News:
The Octopus Is Booming
May 23, 2016 2:56 PM CDT
Surprise Ocean News: The Octopus Is Booming
Cephalopods increasing in changing waters
- You don't have to look far to find bad news about the world's oceans— overfishing , unhealthy coral reefs , you name it—but one group of sea creatures seems to be doing quite well in this changing world: cephalopods. A study in Cell Biology finds that octopuses, squid, and...
Octopus Breaks Out
of National Aquarium
Apr 13, 2016 6:55 AM CDT
Octopus Breaks Out of National Aquarium
So long, suckers
- At New Zealand's National Aquarium, workers thought Inky the octopus had settled in nicely after he was brought in by a fisherman who found him in a lobster pot in 2014. Turns out he was just biding his time. Staff at the Napier aquarium believe that after the lid...
Apr 8, 2016 1:30 AM CDT
2-Year-Old Found With Octopus Stuck in Throat
Mom's boyfriend is arrested
- Doctors must have been shocked when they pulled a small octopus from the throat of a 2-year-old boy who arrived at the hospital not breathing. The boy's 21-year-old mother arrived home from work Tuesday night to find her 36-year-old boyfriend, Matthew Gallagher, giving CPR to her son, according to...
From the Deep
Mar 5, 2016 10:06 AM CST
Ghostlike Octopus From the Deep Shocks Scientists
It's likely the deepest finless octopus ever seen and a brand new species
- NOAA scientists exploring the ocean depths off the coast of Hawaii may have just discovered a new species of octopus, and boy is it adorable. Gizmodo describes the tiny creature as something out of Pixar or Pokemon, while a NOAA blog post calls it ghostlike. But a scientist overheard on...
Octopus Sex Show
Feb 15, 2016 8:40 AM CST
Fearing Cannibalism, Aquarium Cancels Octopus Sex Show
No love for Kong this year
- For visitors to the Seattle Aquarium, Valentine's Day just wasn't the same this year, after the annual giant Pacific octopus sex exhibition was canceled. But it's not because aquarium staff came to the conclusion that it's weird to invite a bunch of people to come watch...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Conway Spills on George, Kushner, Trump in New Book
She Was the City's Only Doctor. Russians Put a Bag Over Her Head
Russian Diplomat: I'm 'So Ashamed'
Cyclist Accused of Killing Fellow Rider Is at Large
Destructive Jumping Worms Are Now in California
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.