Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
There's a New Code Word
Sep 27, 2022 2:02 PM CDT
There's a New Code Word for 'Black'
'Woke' is the newest entry, writes Damon Young in the 'Washington Post'
- In an essay at the
, Damon Young recounts the many, many examples of "coded language" and euphemisms that have emerged over the years to refer to Black people like himself. Think "urban," inner city," "marginalized," and on and on. A newer entry...
$4.8M Settlement Reached
Over Man 'Shot in the Face'
Apr 4, 2022 12:04 AM CDT
$4.8M Settlement Reached Over Man 'Shot in the Face'
Julian Lewis was killed by a Georgia state trooper
The family of a Black man fatally shot by a Georgia state trooper in 2020 will receive a $4.8 million settlement from the state. A lawyer for Julian Lewis' family says the settlement was reached last month before a lawsuit was filed, the
New York Times
All-Black Team of
to Conquer Everest
Feb 22, 2022 3:48 PM CST
All-Black Team of Mountaineers Plans to Conquer Everest
Only one Black American has ever made it to the summit
- Since Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay conquered Mount Everest in 1953, more than 5,000 other people have made it to the top of the world's highest peak—but only around 10 of them were black and just one was a Black American. A group of US climbers...
Mitch McConnell Contrasts
Black Voters, American Voters
Jan 21, 2022 6:38 AM CST
Mitch McConnell Contrasts Black Voters, American Voters
Senator's rep says he misspoke, critics disagree
- Asked Wednesday to respond to voters of color concerned that they will be unable to vote in the midterm elections without passage of the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act, Mitch McConnell put it this way : "The concern is misplaced because if you look at the statistics, African American...
LA County Wants to Right
'Terrible Wrong' Done to
Black Family in 1924
Mar 8, 2021 1:27 PM CST
LA County Wants to Right 'Terrible Wrong' Done to Black Family in 1924
Family was forced to give up beachfront land
- Los Angeles county officials may return a beachfront property that was seized from a Black family nearly a century ago. Manhattan Beach used eminent domain in 1924 to force Willa and Charles Bruce, the city's first Black landowners, off the land where they lived. The couple also ran a...
Hospitalized With COVID: CDC
Nov 17, 2020 10:11 AM CST
Minorities Disproportionately Hospitalized With COVID: CDC
Black, Hispanic, Native Americans hospitalized at 4 times the rate of non-Hispanic whites
- Minorities continue to be hit especially hard by the coronavirus, with hospitalizations at four times the rate of white people over eight months, according to the CDC . There were 70,825 hospitalizations reported to the CDC from March 1 to Nov. 7, reports CNN , and the age-adjusted hospitalization rate for...
City in Turmoil Embraces
'Fresh Approach to Policing'
Sep 26, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
City in Turmoil Embraces 'Fresh Approach to Policing'
Cynthia Herriott-Sullivan will be Rochester's first female police chief
- Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren tapped a Black woman to become the new interim city police chief, saying Saturday she will bring a "fresh approach to policing" amid the tumultuous aftermath to Daniel Prude’s death, the AP reports. Cynthia Herriott-Sullivan, who retired from the department in 2009 as a...
Trump to Black Americans:
Here's My 'Platinum Plan'
Sep 26, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Trump to Black Americans: Here's My 'Platinum Plan'
And he claims Joe Biden has hurt Black communities
- President Trump took aim at Black voters Friday by offering a new multi-billion-dollar plan and taking a jab at his Democratic rival, CNN reports. "No one in politics today has done more to hurt the Black community than Joe Biden," Trump said at a campaign event in Atlanta....
'Anxiety' Stirs 2 Women
to Take a Very Bold Step
Sep 13, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
'Anxiety' Stirs 2 Women to Take a Very Bold Step
Ashley Scott and Renee Walters are creating the Freedom Georgia Initiative
- Welcome to the Freedom Georgia Initiative. So far it's just 96 acres of dirt roads and trees, but two pioneering women foresee much more: a safe space for Blacks in trying times, CNN reports. "I'm hoping that it will be a thriving safe haven for people of...
Unions Threaten Work
Stoppages Over BLM
Sep 5, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Unions Threaten Work Stoppages Over BLM
'The status quo ... is clearly unjust, and it cannot continue'
- Ahead of Labor Day, unions representing millions across several working-class sectors are threatening to authorize work stoppages in support of the Black Lives Matter movement amid calls for concrete measures that address racial injustice. In a statement first shared with the AP , labor leaders who represent teachers, autoworkers, truck drivers,...
She Lied About Being Black.
Now, GWU Takes Action
Sep 5, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
She Lied About Being Black. Now, GWU Takes Action
Jessica Krug's students are in need of a new professor
- A professor who admitted to lying about her Blackness won't be teaching this semester at George Washington University, the
reports. Jessica Krug, who taught African and Latin American studies, is being replaced but hasn't yet been fired. "We certainly want the classes to continue, and...
Video: Cops Put Hood on
Black Man. He Didn't Survive
Sep 3, 2020 2:00 AM CDT
Video: Cops Put Hood on Black Man. He Didn't Survive
Daniel Prude's family bring his death to the public eye
- A Black man who had run naked through the streets of a western New York city died of asphyxiation after a group of police officers put a hood over his head, then pressed his face into the pavement for two minutes, according to video and records released Wednesday by the...
Police Shoot Black Man
Armed With Knife '11 Times'
Aug 22, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Police Shoot Black Man Armed With Knife '11 Times'
The killing is under investigation in Louisiana
- Police in Louisiana shot and killed a man as he tried to enter a convenience store with a knife, authorities said Saturday per the AP . The shooting was captured on video (WARNING: graphic images) and the state ACLU condemned what it described as a "horrific and deadly incident of...
A Big First for Amazon's
Elite Executive 'S-Team'
Aug 22, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
A Big First for Amazon's Elite Executive 'S-Team'
Alicia Boler Davis is the first Black member of the prestigious group that advises Jeff Bezos
- Amazon's prestigious "S-team" (short for "senior team"), a group of execs that advises CEO Jeff Bezos, just achieved a big first. Per Business Insider , three members have been added to the elite group, and one of them is Alicia Boler Davis, who joined the company last...
Aug 15, 2020 3:10 PM CDT
Father Can't Explain Why Suspect Shot His 5-Year-Old
'There wasn't anything between me and him,' says Austin Hinnant
- A North Carolina father says his 5-year-old boy was killed by their neighbor for no apparent reason—the day after the two men had dinner together, the
reports. Austin Hinnant says he was grilling chicken at his Wilson home last Saturday when he saw his neighbor of 8...
Disney Wouldn't Air
This Episode—Until Now
Aug 11, 2020 9:28 AM CDT
Disney Wouldn't Air This Episode—Until Now
Episode of 'black-ish' about Trump finds a home on Hulu
- A politically charged episode of
from 2017 that was shelved by ABC has found a home on Hulu, a corporate sibling of the Disney-owned broadcast network, the AP reports. "I cannot wait for everyone to finally see the episode for themselves," series creator Kenya Barris posted Monday...
Black Mom, 4 Kids
Out for Salon Day
Now Getting a
Aug 4, 2020 7:29 AM CDT
Black Mom, 4 Kids Out for Salon Day Now Getting a Police Apology
Children were handcuffed, made to lie on ground during stolen-vehicle mix-up in Aurora, Colo.
- The same Colorado police department involved in the death of Elijah McClain now has a new controversy on its hands—this time involving a Black family pulled over for an allegedly stolen vehicle. Per the
, Brittney Gilliam had taken her nieces, sister, and daughter out to get their...
A New First for the US Navy
Aug 2, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
A New First for the US Navy
Meet Lieutenant Madeline Swegle, the Navy's first Black female fighter pilot
- Lieutenant Madeline Swegle made headlines Friday by becoming the first Black female tactical aircraft pilot in US Navy history, CBS News reports. The trailblazer received her Wings of Gold along with 25 classmates at a graduation ceremony at the Naval Air Station in Kingsville, Texas. "I'm excited to...
DNA Slavery Study
Jul 24, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
DNA Slavery Study Yields Surprises
More enslaved people came to the US from Nigeria than previously thought, researchers say
- Using historical records has been the most traditional way to shed light on the dark stain of slavery in the United States. Now, per new research that the
calls "the largest DNA study to examine African ancestry in the Americas," gene analysis is helping put more pieces...
Activist's Statue Only
Lasts for 24 Hours
Jul 16, 2020 11:17 AM CDT
Activist's Statue Only Lasts for 24 Hours
The city of Bristol removes 'A Surge of Power (Jen Reid)'
- First, a slave trader. Then a black activist. Now a pedestal in Bristol, England is empty again after the city took down the activist's statue on Thursday morning, Sky News reports. "This morning we removed the sculpture," the City Council said in a statement. "It will...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops: 'Catfishing' Leads to Triple Homicide
Wolf Researchers: 'We Just Open-Mouthed Stared at Each Other'
Suit Seeks $5M Damages Over Mac-and-Cheese Prep Time
Ariz. Professor Dies on Family Trip to Mexico
Musk Declares 'War' on Apple
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.