Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
White House Correspondents Dinner
Stories 1 - 20 |
a 'Coup' Joke
May 1, 2022 9:02 AM CDT
Biden Makes a 'Coup' Joke at Annual Media Dinner
President roasts himself, Trump, the media at White House correspondents' event
- The White House press corps' annual gala returned Saturday night along with the roasting of Washington, the journalists who cover it, and the man at the helm: President Biden. The White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, sidelined by the pandemic in 2020 and 2021, featured Biden as the first president in...
Fauci Pulls Out of WH
Apr 27, 2022 2:32 PM CDT
Fauci Pulls Out of WH Correspondents' Dinner
He says it's 'because of my individual assessment of my personal risk'
- Weeks after a glitzy Washington, DC, dinner turned into a superspreader event , Dr. Anthony Fauci has decided he doesn't want to take his chances at another one. President Biden's top COVID adviser will not be at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner Saturday when the event returns for...
Apr 14, 2021 5:59 PM CDT
COVID-19 Cancels Correspondents' Dinner
Event would have been the first of the Biden administration
- For the second year in a row, the White House Correspondents’ Association has called off its annual dinner. COVID-19 was given as the reason, as it was last year. Hundreds of journalists and people in the reigning administrations usually attend the dressy event, which includes speeches, the awarding of scholarships,...
Dinner Will Have 2 Headliners
Feb 18, 2020 10:05 AM CST
WH Correspondents' Dinner Will Have 2 Headliners
Kenan Thompson will host, Hasan Minhaj will perform
- The White House Correspondents' Association dinner is back with a host.
Saturday Night Live
's Kenan Thompson will serve as master of ceremonies at the April 25 event at the Washington Hilton, while 2017 featured entertainer Hasan Minhaj will return to that role, per the
New York Times
. The outlet...
A Very Different
Dinner Is in the Books
Apr 28, 2019 8:40 AM CDT
A Very Different Correspondents Dinner Is in the Books
President counter-programs with Wisconsin rally as WHCD goes without a comedian
- This year's White House Correspondents Association dinner, once an evening of sharp-edged political humor and celebrities, took place Saturday without a comedian, without the president or anyone from the White House, and without the tension of past events. George Washington and every president since has felt mistreated by the...
Officials to Skip
Apr 23, 2019 6:32 PM CDT
Trump 'Orders' White House Officials to Skip Correspondents' Dinner
White House confirms no administration officials will attend
- The guest list for the annual White House Correspondents' Association Dinner on Saturday will look a lot like it did in 2017: Neither President Trump nor those who work for him plan to attend. Just four days before reporters and their guests were to gather at the event to celebrate...
After Trump Slams Comedian,
She Responds With One-Liner
Nov 21, 2018 2:55 PM CST
After Trump Slams Comedian, She Responds With One-Liner
'I bet you'd be on my side if I had killed a journalist,' writes Michelle Wolf
- President Trump took a potshot at a comedian on Tuesday, so he probably shouldn't be surprised that Michelle Wolf has responded in the form of a one-liner. "I bet you'd be on my side if I had killed a journalist," Wolf tweeted , a reference to Trump'...
There Will Be
at Next Year's
Nov 19, 2018 12:48 PM CST
There Will Be No Comedian at Next Year's Correspondents' Dinner
Author Ron Chernow speaking instead
- Looks like President Trump won't have to deal with jokes made at his expense at this year's White House Correspondents' Dinner, because the White House Correspondents' Association didn't invite a comedian. Instead, author Ron Chernow will speak at the annual event, to be held April 27, CNN...
Michelle Wolf Isn't Sorry
About Her Press Dinner Jokes
May 1, 2018 3:41 AM CDT
Michelle Wolf Isn't Sorry About Her Press Dinner Jokes
'I wouldn't change a single word'
- Michelle Wolf isn't exactly overflowing with contrition amid heavy criticism of her controversial routine at the White House Correspondents' Association annual dinner. "I wouldn't change a single word that I said," the comedian tells NPR in an interview set to air Tuesday. "I'm very...
Trump Slams 'Filthy' Comedian
After White House Press Dinner
Apr 30, 2018 5:07 AM CDT
Trump Slams 'Filthy' Comedian After White House Press Dinner
WHCA chief says remarks were 'not in the spirit of the night'
- Michelle Wolf's scathing monologue at the annual White House Correspondents' Association dinner is receiving poor reviews from President Trump and WHCA President Margaret Talev, among many others. Talev tells Politico that Wolf's routine, which included personal remarks about White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who was just...
Things Got a Little Dicey at
White House Press Dinner
Apr 29, 2018 6:11 AM CDT
Things Got a Little Dicey at White House Press Dinner
With Trump absent, comedian Michelle Wolf went after everybody, showed no mercy
- "Good evening, here we are at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner; like a porn star says when she’s about to have sex with Trump, let’s get this over with." Thus began Michelle Wolf's White House Correspondents' Dinner monologue, one that Politico terms "bruising" and...
Press Dinner Will Get
a Trump Substitute
Apr 6, 2018 9:28 AM CDT
Press Dinner Will Get a Trump Substitute
President says he plans to skip again, with Sarah Huckabee Sanders taking his place
- It looks like President Trump will skip the second White House Correspondents Dinner of his presidency, as he did with the first . In a radio interview Friday, Trump said he'd "probably" avoid the April 28 event because the press is "so bad and so fake," per...
Holds Glam-Free Dinner
Apr 30, 2017 6:08 AM CDT
Meanwhile, WHCA Holds Glam-Free Dinner
No Trump and Sam Bee's competing roast siphon the usual celebrity element away
- Prominent Washington journalists, if not Hollywood stars, celebrated the First Amendment during the annual White House Correspondents' Dinner, an event that lacked the glitter of past years. With President Trump sending his regrets , attention was no longer focused on an in-person roasting of the commander in chief and his humorous...
At Day 100, Trump Rips
Media Dinner, Heads for Pa.
Apr 30, 2017 5:33 AM CDT
At Day 100, Trump Rips Media Dinner, Heads for Pa.
First president since Reagan to skip WHCA dinner, instead rallies his base
- President Trump on Saturday marked his 100th day in office by claiming historic action on his agenda, reports the AP , renewing promises on health care and taxes and attacking the news media that he says is misleading Americans in a rally in Harrisburg at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex and...
Ditching Press Dinner,
Trump Plans Rally Instead
Apr 23, 2017 6:31 AM CDT
Ditching Press Dinner, Trump Plans Rally Instead
President will head to Harrisburg, Pa., for 'BIG' rally on Saturday
- Eschewing tradition in Washington, DC, President Trump on Saturday will become the first commander in chief since Ronald Reagan—who was then recuperating from an assassination attempt—to skip the annual White House Correspondents Dinner, and instead will head to Harrisburg, Pa., to hold a rally, reports NBC News . Trump...
White House Staff Skipping
Mar 29, 2017 6:56 AM CDT
White House Staff Skipping Correspondents' Dinner
They are 'standing in solidarity' with Trump
- It's unlikely they're going to Samantha Bee's roast of President Trump instead, but a month after the president announced he would steer clear of the annual White House Correspondents Dinner, White House staff members are following suit. "The staff is standing in solidarity with the president,...
Trump Won't Attend
Feb 25, 2017 4:44 PM CST
Trump Won't Attend Correspondents' Dinner
Multiple news outlets had already dropped out of the annual event
- With trouble already brewing around the event—the
reports there were calls for news outlets to boycott, and several had already dropped out, according to the Hill —President Trump announced Saturday he wouldn't be attending the annual White House Correspondents' Dinner. "Please wish everyone well...
Jan 30, 2017 10:21 AM CST
Samantha Bee Promises Epic Trump Roast
It's planned for same night as White House Correspondents' Dinner
- If Donald Trump chooses to roast journalists, celebrities, and politicians at the annual White House Correspondents' Dinner in Washington, DC, this year, it'll be with the knowledge that he's being brutally mocked not too far away. Samantha Bee of TBS'
says she'll host celebrities, journalists,...
Most Biting Jokes
at Annual Dinner
May 1, 2016 5:45 AM CDT
Obama's 10 Most Biting Jokes at Annual Dinner
Of course he talked Trump
- It was President Obama's final turn at the mic Saturday night in what was his last White House Correspondents' Dinner, and the jokes were rolling. Ten standouts from the president, who spoke to a crowd that included a slew of politicians and plenty of Hollywood's finest: Bryan Cranston,...
Obama: I Can't
Wait 'to See Who
Koch Bros. Pick'
WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENTS DINNER
Apr 26, 2015 9:42 AM CDT
Obama: I Can't Wait 'to See Who Koch Bros. Pick'
It's 'nerd prom' time again
- Washington feted itself last night with the annual exercise known alternately as the White House Correspondents Dinner or "Nerd Prom," with
Saturday Night Live's
Cecily Strong getting in some of the strongest zingers. "Your hair is so white now," she told President Obama, "it...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
Sheriff: Deputy Killed Friend in 'Dumb, Avoidable' Accident
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.